MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cowgirl8

May apples

Has anyone here tried them before. They grow all over and our outside guide to edible wild things say its good to eat. I dont like how they smell though, doesnt smell sweet to me, kind of greenbean smelling.

I have not yet eaten them, but a friend is very knowledgeable about them. I smelled them before I ever even knew what they were (there were only two in the window of their house). When they are ripe they have a gorgeous fragrance that you can smell from a distance, like chantrelle mushrooms. The fragrance reminded me of a cross between Queen Anne's pocket melons and green apples. I know the fragrance doesn't come until right before they are ready. Maybe the ones you have seen were not quite ready??? I went hunting them this Spring, but I was a little too late for our area and had missed them, but I found some great big patches, so am excited to eat them next year. I would have eaten them at my friends, but they live up north farther and they actually weren't quite ready to eat yet (not soft enough), although it's possible they just didn't want to share! :D My friend eats them raw and makes jelly/jam out of them.

I know the fruits are best right before they fall on the ground and it is a good idea to pick them a little green and set them inside to ripen, because like pawpaws you won't get them otherwise. Some four-legged critter will beat you to it. <_<

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.