Romans 6:8-10

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Well, I'm here again, earlier this morning than yesterday, which is good. I need to do this study, and I thank You for this determination that wells within me. I no longer feel as if I'm hanging onto an innertube, trying to make it to shore to do this study...it's more like I now have a small row boat with a paddle and I'm forcing that paddle to stear me towards shore.

I need this study, I need Your Word, and most of all I need You. May Your Holy Spirit flow over these words this morning, annointing them for eternal purpose.

In Jesus Name I pray,

8. But if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also be living with Him:

9. Knowing that Christ having been raised from among the dead dieth no more: death over Him no longer hath dominion.

10. For in that He died, unto sin He died once for all; but in that He is living, He is living unto God.

Watchman Nee comments on the word "with", stating: "This again shows our organic union with Christ in His death and in His resurrection."

The rvbv writes, "Here we take it for granted that we died; that our old man was crucified with Christ. And we go on to the expectation of a blessed life in Christ. For it is not only that we shall "live with Him" in resurrection glory when He comes, but even now we walk in newness of life in Him, as verses 10 and 13 set forth. This is no uncertain confidence, because "Christ, being raised from the dead, dieth no more." The brief lordship of death over Him is ended forever, and it is His death and life we share.

Meyer well paraphrases: "Whosoever has died with Christ is now also of the belief that his life, i.e., the positive, active side of his moral being and nature, shall be a fellowship of life with the exalted Christ; that is, shall be able to be nothing else than this." And Rotherham: "If we jointly died with Christ, - we believe that we shall also jointly live with Him. And Conybeare: "If we have shared the death of Christ, we believe that we shall also share His life."

This word, shall also be living with Him, must finally include, doubtless, the consummation of our salvation at the coming of Christ, and the fashioning anew of our mortal bodies. But the word refers directly to that expressed by Paul in Galations 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ that liveth in me." Here in Romans Six it is called a living with Him, as over against our death with Him. Hodge well says: "The future tense is used here, referring not to what is to happen hereafter, so much as to what is the certain consequence of our union with Christ." And Alford: "The future ('we shall also live with Him') as in verse 5, is used, because the life with Him, though here begun, is not here completed."

And now the reason for this assurance that we shall keep on sharing the risen life of Christ, is given:

Verse 9: Knowing that Christ having been raised from among the dead dieth no more: death over Him no longer hath dominion.

Knowing - "This participle justifies the "we believe' of verse eight." We know (eidotes) both that our present spiritual participation in Christ's risen life will continue, and also that our mortal bodies will be finally delivered, in view of the fact we are conscious of, that Christ has been once and irrevocably raised; that God "loosed the pangs of death"; that "He raised Him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption," - for it was written, "Thou wilt not give Thy Holy One to see corruption." Sin never had dominion over Him; and death could have had no dominion except that our sin was transferred to Him! Death, therefore, the "wages," had a brief dominion, but now that is ended forever; and we are in Him, - also forever! Therefore death with its dominion is for the believer forever passed away. Our identification with Christ in death at the cross made possible of fulfillment His wonderful promise in John 8:51, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my word, he shall never see death." If a believer falls asleep (God's word for a believer's physical death) his spirit goes to be with Christ: there is no "dark valley." On the tomb of an early Christian were these words: "I sinned, I repented, I trusted, I loved; I slept, I shall rise, I shall reign!"

It is a terrible thing to contemplate - that death once held the Prince of Life, the Lord of all. Yet behold the Lord of Life, under the dominion of death! But He is not making atonement during those three days and night,s - that was all finished on the cross. (Our Lord's last words were, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." As Peter writes: "Being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, in which [quickened spirit] He went and preached unto the spirits in prison," etc. (I Peter 3:18,19). Christ's human spirit, we know, from His own word, was to be "Three days and three nights (Matt. 12:40) in the heart of the earth." This of course does not refer to His body, which lay in Joseph's tomb on the surface of the earth). And now, praise God, we read, Death no more hath dominion over Him. He liveth unto God, in a glad resurrection life which shall never end. This is the life that we share, for we shared His death.

Verse 10: Therefore we must go on to verse 10 and read God's statement of Christ's death unto sin: For in that He died, unto sin He died once for all; but in that He is living, He is living unto God.

Now we beseech you, do not change God's word "UNTO" here! Do not confuse with this passage those other Scriptures that declare that Christ died FOR our sins. For this great revelation of Romans 6:10 is that Christ died UNTO sin! There is here, of course, no thought of expiation of guilt. That belongs to Chapters Three to Five. Here, the sole question is one of relationship, not of expiation. Christ is seen dying to sin, not for it, here.

What is meant by that?

In II Corinthians 5:21, God declares: "Him who knew no sin God made to be sin on our behalf; that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." Christ is made to be what we were, that we might become, in Him, what He is! Might not Christ, the Sinless One, bear the guilt of our sins and that be all? Nay, but we were connected federally with Adam the first - with a race proved wholly unrighteous and bad. And that we might be released from that Adam-state, there must be not only our sins borne, but we ourselves released from the old-Adam headship, - all we had from Adam: which involved the responsibilities we had in him - responsibility to furnish God, as morally responsible beings, a perfect righteousness and holiness of our own.

Now God's way was, not to "change" the old man, but to send it to the cross unto death, and release us from it. No one who remains in Adam's race will be saved! "Ye must be born again!" should sound the tocsin of alarm, yea, terror, to every one not yet in Christ. For God's method was to set forth a Second Man, a Last Adam, - Christ; (with whom indeed all God's eternal plans were connected), whom God would not only set forth to make expiation of guilt, but would make to become sin itself: thus to get at what we were, as well as what we had done. Our old man would thus be crucified with Christ, so that all the evil of the old man, and all his responsibilities also, would be completely annulled before God for all believers. For they must righteously be released from Adam, before they are created in Christ, another Adam! And this must be by death.

Thus God would say to believers, to those in Christ, "Your history now begins anew!" just as He said to Israel at the Passover: "This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you." So Paul triumphantly writes, "If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature: the old things are passed away; behold they are become new." What a day was that when Christ, made to be sin itself, died to it, and was forever done with it! So that now He lives unto God in light and joy eternal without measure!"

Heavenly Father,

It seems more often than not, when I get done with one of the Romans studies, that I feel unusually quiet. It is as if the study is like a rich dessert that fills completely, and spiritually, for this moment.

Holy Spirit, please take the words contained in today's study and plant them deep within all our hearts and minds. Cause these truths to grow until they become like a blinding light, consuming in its truth.

Father, I have so much going on in my life right now...You know all, so I just ask for Your hand of protection of me and my family. I ask that You would lead the way in the direction that You would have me go and that You would keep me safe from the enemy's attempts to thwart Your perfect will.

I trust You and I need You.

In Jesus Name,

Thank you for bringing Gods Word to me this morning. I tend to want to be liked where I work in the winter which is unfortunately not only a restaurant but a bar. Go along to get along, etc. Thank you for having God remind me that I do not need to be like everyone around me and that if I am not "liked by all" it is ok. My focus needs to be on God and the future. My fellow employees opinions of me are none of my business. Rather a tall order for me to follow through on but I appreciate the subject being brought to my attention and God will be there for the follow through.

Archived