MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 6:15-16

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Just as I share those times when I feel my feet are in quicksand and it's hard to take another step, I have to also share times like this where I feel, overwhelmingly, Your power flowing over and through me.

This morning, I sense a purpose...'a call to arms' per se, for this spiritual battle we are in. It has been SO difficult these past few months, to do this Romans study. Either I have a hard time gearing up to do it, or, if I'm pumped to do another study, I get a powerful, hurtful, difficult hit from the enemy.

"New level...new devil" is what a dear friend shared with me right before I began the Romans study, and I'm learning exactly what that means.

But Father? I just hafta sing praises upwards, towards Your Holy Throne, admitting that it really IS true. You truly ARE faithful, You truly ARE in control of all things, You truly WILL complete that which You have started.

I know our walk is not a walk of feelings, but of faith, but I hafta say that my heart is feeling alot this morning. In fact, it's overflowing with love for You and I can't help wanting to jump up on a high post and lift my arms up and yell "Yea God!!!!".

Oh, who cares of this opening prayer makes any sense to anyone this morning lol...I feel energized, full of Your power and it sure feels good, especially after the desert I've been in for a while now.

Breathe over these words I write today, sharing from Your Word, where all that we need, to get through the days ahead, is found.

In Jesus Name,

15. What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? Be it not thought of!

16. Do ye not know that to whom ye present yourselves as bondservants unto obedience, his bondservants ye are whom ye obey, - whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness.

The rvbv writes, "Here Paul warns against the abuse of that liberty which the believer has: He shows that those who commit sin come under the bondage of sin as master; even as the Lord said in John 8:34: "Every one that committeth sin is the bondservant of sin."

The two questions in Chapter Six: "Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?" (verse 1); and Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? (verse 15); are distinct. but not really diverse, questions. For each considers that same lawlessness, that same independence of the Creator, which is ever the creature's great temptation. The fact that these two questions are written down here is the proof of this. Now Paul, with holy abhorrence, repudiates at once both these thoughts:

The answer to the first question is: We are in the Risen Christ, and we shared His death; our relation to sin is broken forever; we walk "in newness of life.

Verse 16: And the answer to the second question is: God has set believers free, to serve Himself. The only other master is sin. And bondage to sin results from serving sin." But the Word of God says to the believer, Ye are not under law, but under grace.

Many people who have been convicted of the guilt of sin and have relied on the shed blood of Christ as putting away that guilt, have not yet, however, seen a state of sin as abject slavery. The strength of sin is just as real as its guilt. No creature can free himself from the bondage of sin. Sin brought to fallen man the inability to do anything else but sin (Gen. 6:5). Although contrary to conscience, to reason, to desire for liberty; in spite of the terror inspired by the tragic examples about them, - yea, despite awful warnings and expectations of personal impending ruin, men continue in sin and its bondage.

But there is another "obedience," - that unto righteousness. And the case turns on the words, to whom ye present yourselves as servants. Although we cannot free ourselves, or change our own spiritual condition, the great fact of human responsibility is plainly written here. God, who would have all men to be saved, is always ready to have them present themselves to Him. And it is by means of the gospel that we do so, - whether to take our place as sinners, in the first instance; or, after we have believed, when we present ourselves to Him and our members as instruments of righteousness.

We all know this, be our theological training what it may. We all know we are doing wrong if we do not obey the gospel of God concerning His Son. "When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will convict the world in respect of sin...because they believe not on Me" (John 16:8-9).

Let us remember then, that the obedience unto righteousness of verse 16, is "the obedience of faith," always.

Heavenly Father,

As we all go through this day, I just ask that You continue to pour out Your Holy Spirit over all our lives...guiding us, leading us, convicting us...all that You have given Him to do in our lives.

I love You, Father. My heart is just full of that this morning and it makes me want to crawl up into Your lap and give You a hug as I remind You, "I need You".

In Jesus Name I pray,