MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 6:19

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Well, here I am. My heart desires to do another installment in the book of Romans. But I ask Father, that You would put a ring of fire...and camp Your warring angels about my land and my family because the hits I've been taking, that I believe are a direct result from being obedient to Your call to do this study, have been devestating.

This morning though, quite by chance(?) (I know it wasn't chance), I heard a speaker mention something Paul said in 2 Timothy, where he wrote:

"At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Yesterday, as I got ready to try to go get my dog, I was feeling more alone than I had felt in a long, long time. I was dreading going over there alone and having to try to deal with all that, and I was very, very afraid. You, however, reminded me that I did not go alone, that You were with me, and as I drove to Animal Control, the closer I got, the more powerful I felt Your presence and Your peace. It was so strong that by the time I walked in there, I could only imagine fear and dread in my mind...it was gone from my heart. So I want to thank You Father, for Your faithfulness. I want to thank You for being there and paving a road that ended up being gentle and not so scary. And thank You Father, for bringing the above scripture to mind this morning, because the thing that hit me the hardest was where Paul wrote "May it not be held against them."

I was not only deserted by the people who should have been there to help me, I was personally attacked and called all kinds of hurtful things. It's one of the lowest points in my life, but Father, I ask, genuinely from the heart, that their actions not be held against them. You are all I need and it matters not what others think, only You. May Your hand of protection and guidance continue to be over this situation...may the enemy's attempts to decimate and destroy many things with this, be stopped by Your hand. Without Your covering, I'm doomed, so I am so grateful that You are my Heavenly Father, that Your eye is upon me and mine and that You will be my Defender and my Vindicator, because You are my God, my Lord, and THIS family will serve You and You alone.

I'm very fragile today, so may the power of Your Spirit move over the study today, opening all our eyes to Your Truth, which sets us free.

In Jesus Name,

19. I am speaking in human terms on account of the [moral] strengthlessness of your flesh: for just as ye did present your members as bondservants to uncleanness, and to lawlessness unto [further] lawlessness, so now present your members bondservants to righteousness unto sanctification.

Watchman Nee comments on the end of this verse "unto sanctification" and writes: "Righteousness ushers us into sanctification. If we present ourselves as slaves to righteousness and our members as weapons of righteousness, Christ as the eternal life within us will have the ground to work in us and saturate our inward parts with Himself. Thus we will be sanctified spontaneously; we will be made holy spontaneously in our inward parts by Christ's saturating.

Sanctification involves not only a change in position, that is, a separation from a common, wordly position to a position for God, as illustrated in Matt. 23:17, 19 and in 1 Tim. 4:3-5; it involves also a transformation in disposition, that is, a transformation from the natural disposition to a spiritual one by Christ as the life giving Spirit saturating all the inward parts of our being with God's nature of holiness, as mentioned in 12:2 and 2 Cor. 3:18."

The rvbv writes: "Paul here explains why he is using this word "bondservants" throughout this passage. He declares the "infirmity of our flesh" to be such, that we must necessarily be in bondservice - either to sin or to God. Rome was full of slaves, - indeed, many of the Christians to whom he was writing were slaves, as seems to be indicated in Chapter Sixteen (which see). In the Roman Empire, freedom was a most difficult thing to secure (Acts 22:28). So Paul speaks in human terms, "after the manner of men," and he says that we are strengthless naturally, that we must be servants, either of God or of sin.

Man hates this fact. He boasts his independence, whether it be in the realm of intellect - "free thought!" in the matter of private wealth - "independent!" or in the manner of government - "free!" But it is all really a delusion. We indeed rejoice at the intellectual shackles thrown off at the Renaissance, and at liberty of thought and express, wherever found among men. We also honor those who, like Boaz, are "mighty men of wealth," - for God has permitted it to be so: and we rejoice at that relief from governmental tyranny which is yet found in some parts of this earth.

But what we most earnestly assert is that not only Paul here, but our Lord Himself, and Scripture generally, sets forth that only those that know the truth and walk therein, are free. The Jews (in John 8:33) horribly rebel against our Lord's saying: "If ye abide in My word, then are ye truly My disciples: and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free!...Every one that committeth sin is the bondservant of sin...If the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." There is no freedom out of Christ. "Whose service is perfect freedom" is the beautiful expression of obedience to God.

We must see this necessity of service to God or service to sin for our own lives. When John wrote to believers, "We know that we are of God, and the whole earth lieth in the evil one" (I John 5:19), - what a revelation was that!

These Roman Christians had formerly, like the pagans among whom they lived, presented their members bondservants to uncleanness [in every inward thought], and to lawlessness unto [further] lawlessness [in outward practice]. A blacker page of iniquitous abominations history does not write than that of the Roman Empire of Paul's day. And out of these fearful states of sin, God had delivered these believers! Compare I Corinthians 6:9 to 11."

Heavenly Father,

Bless this study today. These things we are covering are critical in our individiual spiritual lives, so I just ask that You would make these words alive in each person who reads this. Your grace is sufficient, You keep saying to me over and over these days, and I believe it is.

Bless the work that my hands attempt today. May Your perfect will be done, and may my eyes, that tend to focus on the earthly things before me, remember to rise up to the heavens and remember that my God, my Heavenly Father's eye is upon me, watching everything that comes my way, and that regardless of rough times or peaceful times, it is all within the center of Your perfect will for my life.

I trust You, and oh Father, as the days go by, my need for You grows deeper and deeper.

In Jesus Name,