MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Radishes lower blood sugar

I read that radishes lower blood sugar. I am diabetic but in control with diet and meds. So , I decided to see just how much radishes lower your blood sugar by testing my blood sugar before and after eating them.

After eating three radishes, my blood sugar was lowered 10 points in half an hour and 15 points in an hour.

The next day, after eating four large radishes, blood sugar went down 20 points within half an hour.

I'm going to try making radish soup and see if that does the same things.

I'm lucky I love radishes, LOL

I'm thinking of dehydrating radishes and see if that works. In winter, radishes are good with roasted vegetables or sliced and baked with a little butter spray. But I thought that others with high blood sugar might like to know radishes really do work.

Wow! you mean they lowered your numbers on the spot? I was thinking it would be one of those over time type of deals.

I'm not CRAZY about radishes, but I will eat them, esp. with a salad.

Hmmm, wonder if it 's too late to plant some radish seeds. I have a pack but didn't include them in the garden. :shrug:

Wow! you mean they lowered your numbers on the spot? I was thinking it would be one of those over time type of deals.

I'm not CRAZY about radishes, but I will eat them, esp. with a salad.

Hmmm, wonder if it 's too late to plant some radish seeds. I have a pack but didn't include them in the garden. :shrug:

It's not too late to plant them, but it's probably too hot right now at your house They bolt quickly in the heat. But, you can put them in your fall garden. Hey, what about radish sprouts? Wonder if that would do it? I collected the seeds from my bolted radishes last year......

The radish soup is made from the greens part..... I don't know if that would have the same effect. Here is a recipe that I have not tried yet.

RADISH SOUP 2 bunches red radishes, washed

1 sm. onion, minced

1 tbsp. butter

3/4 c. yogurt, plain

1 1/2 c. chicken stock (broth)Separate the radishes from the greens, reserving both. Cook the onion in the butter until translucent, then add the radish greens. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Puree in a blender or food processor along with half the yogurt and half the chicken stock. In a separate pan sautee the sliced radishes, then puree in a blender with the other half of the yogurt and stock. Heat each until heated through. Pour the green soup into the bowl. Take the pink soup and add some to it, then swirl it for a pretty effect.

(If I made this I'd have to use soy yogurt and turkey broth due to allergies)

Thanks for the heads up on this. My Dad is an insulin Diabetic, so this is not only usful for getting his count down, but also to watch when his a bit low.

Thanks again

Purdy

1 cup of radishes ( nutrients):

Nutition Label for Radishes, raw, 100 grams.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 100 grams

Calories 16

Total Fat 0.1g

- Saturated Fat 0.03g

- Monounsaturated Fat 0.01g

- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.04g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 39mg

Total Carbohydrate 3.4g

- Dietary Fiber 1.6g

- Sugars 2.12g

Protein 0.68g

Vitamin A 0

Vitamin C 14.8

Calcium 25

Iron 0.34

'pinkroses' date='Jul 19 2009, 12:27 PM' post='305989']

I love them too and am Diabetic type 2

but,

I have severe refluxe disease

so can't eat them.

I am glad they work for you hugs sheila.

I do know (and your doctor can confirm this) that 1 - 4 grams of cinnamon daily will help regulate your blood sugar levels (they sell cinnamon capsules in 500mg and 1,000 mg sizes). I was not aware that radishes could perform a similar function.

• 2 months later...

yes, it is true about the cinnamon. With my last child, I got gestational diabetes. After the birth, my blood sugar went back down to the pre-diabetic stage where it hovered for 5 years. I took a very small cinnamon pill daily. Now for the past 2 years, I have taken a "horse sized" cinnamon pill and my blood sugar has gone back down into the normal range. I have some packed away with my emergency stash. I tend to buy my herbals a year at a time when they go on sale.

Edited by nini2033a
  • 1 month later...
I love them too and am Diabetic type 2

but,

I have severe refluxe disease

so can't eat them.

I am glad they work for you hugs sheila.

There are different types of radishes, some asian ones, that don't have the fire/burn of the traditional red radish. Also eating with cucumber would help to settle the reflux reaction.

Kimberly

• 2 weeks later...
I have never dehydrated but, it occurred to me one might dry and grind a radish to get a spicy flour or a type of mild pepper. somebody try it to see what they get, OK?

Dehydrating works quite well for all genre of radishes, including Daikons. Just slice and dry. I've never tried to grind them down to a powder but I'm sure it would be an interesting spice to use. Kind of a mild version of Horseradish.

• 1 year later...

I have my Dad eating radishes with just about every meal and I really do think they keep his blood sugars down. I first read this information here but I hadn't read the thread about dehydrating them! Thanks for bumping this Dogmom! I'm going to dehydrate some for him and see how he likes them! If nothing else, they can be used as "croutons" on his salads.

Do you have anything started in your greenhouse, Michael? I have some time off coming up in a week and I am planning to put up my greenhouse then. I do have a couple of peas planted in pots on the front porch. They haven't sprouted yet. Probably a good thing since we have had snow for the past couple of days.

You may want to try to puree them and adding them to mashed potatoes, muffins, and meatloaf. My mom used to puree radishes and beats and put them in her meatloaf because none of us would eat them other wise. Wasn't bad have the meatloaf a little bit of a spicy taste. I am sure you can it the ones that are spicy and pick them young.