MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The BIG, BIG BIG PROJECT

Snowmom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

I know it is going to take some time yet, as when Oldpine gets home from work, he is tired and won't be doing much with this project, but, it will all come together one day. :)

This is really something that has needed to be done a very long time ago, and also this is the first time Oldpine has tried anything like this, so it is by guess work. :) Well, he has drawn plans and is working with the plans, but, it is his first time ever to try to tackle something this large. :) I don't run the saw or router, but, I have used the sander and I, with the help of the grandsons have done all or almost all of the varnishing.

Arby, THANKYOUBIRDS.gif for saying that. :)

Lunamother, I'm sure the grandsons had a lot to do with it. ;):)

O'lmomma, THANKYOUBIRDINHOUSE.gif

MomM, I agree with that. :)

Aint2, it sure is going to be so nice.

Skagitgal, I will be sure to do that. :)

Blestmomof4, oh yes, I will be so happy. Right now there is hardly room to move in the dining/living room. :)

Ann, there is no way I could have done anything like this. I can tell someone what I want and how I want it, but, there is no way in the world I could have done this.

Farmgirl, yes, it really is exciting, and I'm in hopes this will be done before Christmas. :)

ANewMe, yes, I will really feel like a Queen when this is all done, and I have a new kitchen to cook, bake and can in. :)

PCS, I really didn't do much of that, in fact, they insisted I pose like that. :) The men did the hard work. :)

GND, yes, one isn't always the wealthiest with money, in fact, without our childrens help, this would never have happened.

Momo, I do hope you will be able to see the pictures soon. :)

Dogmom4, yes, I beieve that too, things worth having are worth working for. :)

Becca, floor replacing is really a BIG job, and you are finding out too just what it is like. :)

I want to THANKYOUHUMMINGBIRD2.jpg all for looking at the pictures and for your comments. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

All that done in TWO WEEKS!?! Whoa, those are some hard-working fellas.

You're already planning 'how much you can fit where', aren't you? lol

GOODMORNINGWHITEDOG2.gif

Leah, I am really excited, and I know that it will be a while now, as Oldpine is back to work and won't have time to do much, just a tiny bit each night or so. He did have a lot of the work done before Jerry got here, most of the cabinets were setting in the living room. :) He had them ready to put in.

I will be putting the cookie sheets and cake pans, etc in the slide out, along with a lot of other things. My cook books will be going in the top slide out, (when it gets up). :) Now with a dish washer, we will be using glass glasses more as we have been using tupperware glasses for most of the past 40 + years. It isn't that I don't have the glass, it is I just don't use them. :)

Yes, the guys worked long days and into the late evening. They were at it early in the morning and sometimes working at 10:00 PM yet. They had to go back to work to get rested up. :);):)

hugsgirlandflowers.gifHAVEANICEDAYFLOWERSANDBUTTERFLIES.gif

• 1 month later...

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

I've been asked for updates. So, here we are. We have now a few of the cupboards up and so, there is stuff in them. Not the things that will be there when everything is done, maybe, but, just the same there is some things in them. :)

This one shows that we do have a few drawers in. The drawers you see now will be behind a door. :) Everything will be pulled out. No more wondering where what is. :)

DCP_3603.jpg

This is when the old cupboards are bing taken down. Oldpine and our DD. Don't look at the stuff on the counter, had to have someplace to put them to dry. :)

DCP_3604.jpg

First one down and the rest will be down soon. :)

DCP_3605.jpg

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

Don't know what happened, but, it posted it and then made a 2nd post of the same thing. So, here are some more pictures. :)

Like I said before, don't mind the mess, as it has to be someplace. This is the east wall and so they are all down from the north and east walls at this time. :)

DCP_3610.jpg

I had planned to put some of the cupboards along with the one counter out in the porch, well, everyone of the cupboards are in the porch now. :) I'm only adding a couple pictures of the porch. :)

This is behind the screen door to the south. :)

DCP_3613.jpg

This one is to the north of the door. :) The chair is one I use to put clothes on when I hang them out.

DCP_3614.jpg

This one you can see we have been busy putting things in the drawers. :)

You can also see that we are putting some of that putty stuff on the wall to help level it out.

DCP_3622.jpg

Ok, the first of the new cupboards is up. Just the shell is all, but, it is a start. :)

DCP_3620.jpg

Oldpine is putting the second cupboard up in this picture. :)

DCP_3624.jpg

We even have shelves in there now. :)

DCP_3627.jpg

This one is the latest to be added to the wall. :) It has been up and down and up and down. It is sooooo heavy too.

DCP_3628.jpg

That is where we are right now. So, the house is still a mess and there isn't much space to walk, but, we are getting by. :) All the old drawers are on the floor or piled on the floor in the living/dining room. There are boxes and totes everywhere yet too.

Oh what a fantastic project. And what fantastic kids you have.

You are truely blessed.

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

I know it looks like a lot of space, but, I have several totes in the storage with things that came out of the cupboards too.

The top group of cupboards will probably hold our cup collection. They were on top of the cupboards before. We also had several pretty bottles and a few cans of different sizes that are to us collectors. But, I'm sure the can's won't be going back up, as I don't think they will fit up there now. I could be wrong though.

I have the first 3 levels of the turn table full right now and have more Tupperware that is not going to fit in there. Oh yes, I have lots of Tupperware. I was a dealer for a few years and of course I bought lots of it at that time as well as before and after. :) I have LOTS of Tupperware. I'll have to take another picture and add it in here. :)

It is so hard to get things done around here, as I can't do any of the sawing and putting together, I do some of the sanding and some or most of the varnishing now that our DD is gone home.

Now, if we had another 3 or 4 kids who could come and stay for a week or two and help, that would be great. :) But, that isn't the case, so we will just plug along and get done what we can when we can. And live with the mess we have. :);):):24::shrug:

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

Thank you. :)

Oh yes, I have some things out there already from the kitchen as well as I will be putting the canner out there in the one cabinet that is there. :) Right now I can't get to it as it is in the garage where all the other stuff and lumber is. :)

GOODMORNINGWHITEDOG2.gif

Yes, it has really helped to have the kids come and help. It also helped that they came from the south at different times. We would have run out of space if they had come at the same time. :)

We are using wood not that cheap stuff that most companies would have used. So they are going to last the rest of our lives and probably the lives of whoever gets it after we are gone. :)

The old color was so dark and made the kitchen dark, so the new ones will be a lot nicer. :):) I am really happy about being able to do this. :)

Oldpine has said that he thinks he took on more than he will be able to do, but, he is working on it here and there, so that helps. It may be a while, well, it will be a while, before it gets done, but, it will get done. :)

hugsgirlandflowers.gifHAVEANICEDAYFLOWERSANDBUTTERFLIES.gif

Having been over a year building and finishing our house, I can really appreciate what y'all have done! I think it's incredibly wonderful that you've been in the house for so very many years. I think that is a major blessing!

What a wonderful record of the project. It will be treasured for many years to come!

Congratulations, Snowmom and Oldpine!

:cheer:

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

THANKYOUBIRDINHOUSE.gif so much for your comments. :)

This had been something we have wanted to do for a long time, just never got started at it until our DD said she would help us. There just was no way we could have afforded it without her help.

I did take a couple pictures of our old tile and it was such a mess. :( I was to embarrassed to post them in here, that is how bad the tile was. When we had our two big dogs, now gone for several years, they had dug the floor by the door, and of course by the sink it had been walked on and mopped so much the tile was coming up.

Yes, we have been in here since August of 1971, and our youngest son was born in November following the move. This is a good way to remember just when it was we had moved in. :)

We did get another cupboard in and I'll get the picture in soon. :)

THANKYOUCuteDog.jpg again for looking at this and the comments.

Snowmom! I don't blame you for not wanting to post the pictures, but we all have things in our house that we would rather NOT have in pictures. When I look at people's pictures on here I really don't think of what condition their house is in, I think about their talents, when i looked through your pictures I was thinking of the book's I read because of you,, not the condition of your house -- even though you didn't post the ones that might embarrass you.

Besides, if you posted the old pictures it would have just made your new kitchen look all the more better!

• 2 weeks later...

th_GOODMORNINGFALLCHAIR.jpg

Maybe I'll just wait and show it after everything is all done. :):)

I'm adding another picture or two or three or more today. :)

Here Oldpine is putting the cupboard next to the window up. This is the north side of the window. The south one will come later on. :)

th_DCP_3631.jpg

Now it is up and ready for me to put dishes in.

th_DCP_3634.jpg

Ok, now this is the one on the south side of the window. :)

th_DCP_3637.jpg

And another one of it.

th_DCP_3638.jpg

Now you ask what is that on the end, well, we are going to have another pull out for medications. :) This way we won't have to see the medications every time we open up the other door. :);):P:24:

th_FALLHUGS2-1.jpgth_FALLHAVEAGOODDAYPUMPKINS.gif

Snowy you have one beautiful looking kitchen there. I am so jealous! I have been trying to rework mine this summer too, but it just isn't working out as planned. At present I have 2 refridgerators because the new one isn't working right yet...something about the freezer defrost timer? Oh well. You just take it easy with all that working going on around you!

Q

Archived