MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 14

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is in response to Campy's last post on thread 13, (tried to cut & paste and it wouldn't let me!) regarding the Federal Govt's lack of wheat and other staple food reserves:

Folks, this is just one more red flag. Americans need to relearn to be self-reliant. I personally don't want the government to feed me. I want to be given enough freedom to be allowed to go out and earn/grow my own food. I don't need a nanny and I certainly don't want a Big Brother. These are tough economic times for many. For some, they are downright brutal. But, we still need to be responsible for ourselves. If you are still on the fence about this whole "prepping thing" it's time to choose a side. Which side will it be? Relying on a government that has almost no food reserves to care for you during a catastrophic event or spending a couple of hundred dollars on basic food stuffs which can be crammed under a bed and forgotten for 25+ years?

The choice is yours.

Personally, I don't see the world ending anytime soon but I definitely see the potential for things to get really, really ugly. There are enough red flags waiving right now to make me relieved to have a bit of food storage and I haven't let a day go by this summer without having a canner, a dehydrator, or both going in the kitchen.

Please, I don't mean to preach or lecture and I certainly don't post often enough to have even earned that right, but if you have a spare couple of hundred dollars, please go to your nearest LDS cannery and stock up on the basic food stuffs. (They are the cheapest, long-term storage I have found). You can even order the basics - wheat, beans, rice, and oatmeal - from them online. Just go to this site: http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/store...p;cg4=&cg5=

Okay, lecture over. Please, take care of yourselves!

I am not quite sure where to post this. Hopefully the moderators will move this to the correct forum.

I personally feel that this is not right and violates many of this woman's rights.

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/07/mom_refuse...72809_c_section

Mom Refuses C-Section, Baby Taken Away

Friday, July 24, 2009

Wow, we just can't believe this.

newborn baby in hospital

A woman in New Jersey refused to consent to a C-section during labor in the event that her baby was in distress. She ended up giving birth vaginally without incident. The baby was in good medical condition.

However, her baby was taken away from her and her parental rights were terminated because she "abused and neglected her child" by refusing the C-section and behaving "erratically" while in labor.

How is this legal?

A New Jersey appellate court has upheld the shocking ruling, and custody has been given to the child's foster parents.

The court's decision cites hospital records that describe the mother, V.M., as "combative," "uncooperative," "erratic," "noncompliant," "irrational" and "inappropriate." That's how we acted during labor, too ... but our babies weren't taken away, thank God.

The court opinion also focuses on the fact that the mother had been in psychiatric care for twelve years prior to the birth. But, as the Huffington Post points out, her psychiatric state would never have been questioned if the mother had not refused invasive abdominal surgery -- which was entirely within her rights.

Here's a link to the actual court ruling.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/opinions/a4627-06.pdf

Makes you scared to have your baby in a hospital...she knew what was right for her baby.

But, if you believe the court document, the mother and father both live in a "different world" than reality. I read on Yahoo about a mother that should not have been allowed to keep her baby because of psychiatric reasons...**be warned that this is a very disturbing news article.** http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090727/ap_on_..._decapitated_10

Edited by Grace&Violets

Grace & Violets, thank you for posting the link to the appellate decision in the C-section case. It was a real eye-opener.

I hope all those who are slamming the hospital will actually read the court documents!

The mother is a woman suffering from SEVERE mental illness, chronic paranoid schizophrenia, with a long history of mental illness who was not cooperating with any treatment for that illness. Her husband is not competent, either.

The newspaper headlines and blogs didn't mention THAT fact, did they?

She was in premature labor and 42 years of age having her first chld. High risk all over the place, so she was counseled that a C-section would be needed if the baby got in trouble. She would not allow monitoring of the baby, was aggresive and combative with the doctors and nurses, and did things like call the police from the labor room.

Okay, so it was her absolute legal right to refuse any treatment, even if the "fetus" died, because in NJ the baby is not a baby until it is delivered. The court ruled that her refusal to agree to a c-section if it was needed, her refusal to allow an ultrasound or any other monitoring of the baby before delivery could not be considered abuse of the child. However, the court also ruled that there was still ample evidence to justify removing the child from the parents custody for the child's safety, even discarding the whole c-section issue.

Come on folks! The doctors and nurses could clearly see that this woman was very disturbed. They were trying to protect the child. The c-section issue was clearly just one more allegation added to the emergency protection motion for good measure. It was never about a c-section! It was about protecting a newborn from an unbalanced mother.

The woman did not lose custody of her child because she refused to sign a consent for surgery. She lost custody of her child because she is severely mentally ill and not capable of properly and safely caring for an infant.

Edited by Cricket

Moving back to the topic of the thread...Red Flags for an arrived crisis....

Moving back to the topic of the thread...Red Flags for an arrived crisis....

OK. I think the stories yesterday in the news about the military being called up to help FEMA with relief pandemic situation is a big red flag.

The last time the the national guard and military worked with FEMA and local law enforcement on a large scale in the United States was during Hurricane Katrina, when they aided in the confiscation of weapons
of citizens, even those who lived in the high and dry areas and were unaffected by the hurricane. Remember back a bit ago we were all worried about those FEMA camps....that is bill HR645 and we need to keep an eye on it. So now we need to see how the military working with FEMA shakes out--as some people are worried the pandemic will be used as an excuse for martial law.

Haven't seen this posted here and thought some of you might find it of interest:

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Food_Water/090....dust.bowl.html

here is a Hunger Coming Like a Run-Away Freight Train: Created by Congress

July 25, 2009

Clint Richardson

I've driven the almost 400 mile stretch of Interstate 5 from L.A. to Sacramento dozens of times. Quite honestly, it's as boring as it gets with only the usual gas stations, mini-marts, fast-food, home-cookin' restaurants, and strangely a newer batch of Starbuck's Coffee shops sprouting up everywhere. In between... farms, orchards, cattle, and dirt.

On July 15th, as I began my trip to Utah, I came off the Grapevine decline and hit the flat 250 or so mile stretch of interstate which begins the farming belt in the valley. Almost immediately I noticed what I had only heard about on the radio and in the papers. Where once there were vast fields of green, now there where empty, barely recognizable rows of unplanted dirt and growing weeds. Only sporadically at first, but once I passed Bakersfield and for about a 200 mile stretch, I could not believe my eyes. Field after field laid fallow. And not really fallow, but unattended... as if it was not going to be planted in the near future either.

Signs were staked in the ground on almost every patch of barren farmland. The most common one, which was yellow and obviously a group effort to wake up the sleeping travelers of their future plight, read:

"CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL"

Others, which looked more homemade were posted on non-operational farm equipment parked as close to the freeway as possible, stated things like:

"FOOD ONLY GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS" -and- "NO WATER = NO JOBS = NO FUTURE"

At one point, after 150 miles or so of seeing this horror, I broke down in tears and had to pull over to the side of the road. I saw the aqueduct, which followed Interstate 5 most of the way, and large fields of dead trees which were planted just a few feet from the flowing cement river. I imagined how those trees would feel, imprisoned in the dying dirt by their own roots, if they could indeed comprehend that their source of life was just a stones throw away.

It was like some horrific story-book come to life; science fiction in real time. I was thinking of the farmers and their families and wondering what would become of them and their land. I was thinking about the consequences of hundreds of miles of food no longer being grown, and adding together the other states like Campo, Colorado which have the same situation... only planting 60% of their crops this year.

This deadness went on until the brink of civilization once again began to show. When I approached the Stockton/Modesto highway interchange area the carnage seemed to stop, and the fields appeared to be healthy and bountiful. I can only guess that this is because more people drive on that stretch of the freeway, and so the powers that be are trying to keep up appearances. No other explanation came to mind.

To the readers of this, I can only say that living in the city has literally blinded me to the truth, even though I knew it was happening. I wonder how many other things I ignore? Many economists and trends predictors have called for food shortages and food riots in the fall, and with what I saw last week, I have new reason to believe them.

But then, that's the real problem isn't it? Belief...

If you believe that the food will continue to flow (magically appearing on store shelves in a grocery store near you) and just dismiss the very real claims of shortages worldwide, including a severe wheat shortage in this country due to a harmful fungus, then I might boldly say that you deserve whatever fate befalls you.

I challenge you all to take a drive up the 5 and see this for yourself. Please! Don't let this go unseen. If you are camera or video savvy, I think it would be a really great photo exhibit or website showing the true nature of our common problem. And you better believe, as you take your daily shower, flush your toilet, and water your fertilized-non-edible grassy yards, that this is indeed a Congress created crisis. So please tell as many people about it as possible.

Lastly, if you haven't already... buy storable food! Go to the dollar store and buy rice and beans. Buy pasta, canned and jar foods, or anything with a shelf-life of more than 6 months.

What's the worse that can happen? You'll have food for 6 months.

What's the best that can happen? You'll have food for 6 months.

Take care. Spread this information. Get mad. Fight tyranny. And...

Don't be a sheep.

Clint Richardson

##############################################################################

This has been going on for several months in my part of the world. Unemployment is sky rocketing here in Central California and as a result, crime is up as well. All because of one thing: WATER. I don't know what's going to happen to our state once the budget cuts go into effect. Darlene, I think we need a "shudder" emoticon.

I don't know if this is a red flag or not, but it sure did spook me. The other day I took one of my sons for an eye appointment with his Optomologist. Upon checking in, the receptionist asked to see his I.D. My son is only 13 years old so he does not have any I.D. The receptionist went on to tell me that from now on I.D. would be required before being seen and that I needed to take him to the court house to get one. She accepted my driver's license instead.

After sitting down and thinking about it for a moment, I went back to her window and asked her why was this now being required. She said she really did not know, but she thought it might have something to do insurance fraud. She went on to further explain that they had just started this requirement 2 days before. In my mind I was thinking this is just the beginning step to our socialized healthcare system. I hope that is wrong. The thing that really got me though was that we are a cash paying patient. We have never paid with any form of insurance, but they are still going to require that I.D.

Edited by Insurance
I don't know if this is a red flag or not, but it sure did spook me. The other day I took one of my sons for an eye appointment with his Optomologist. Upon checking in, the receptionist asked to see his I.D. My son is only 13 years old so he does not have any I.D. The receptionist went on to tell me that from now on I.D. would be required before being seen and that I needed to take him to the court house to get one. She accepted my driver's license instead.

After sitting down and thinking about it for a moment, I went back to her window and asked her why was this now being required. She said she really did not know, but she thought it might have something to do insurance fraud. She went on to further explain that they had just started this requirement 2 days before. In my mind I was thinking this is just the beginning step to our socialized healthcare system. I hope that is wrong. The thing that really got me though was that we are a cash paying patient. We have never paid with any form of insurance, but they are still going to require that I.D.

This would be a very BIG RED flag to me. To insinuate that he would not get care unless his identity was proven?

We do not have any insurance so when we go and they ask for the typical SSN, etc, I refuse and I also refuse authorization to post our information at the Medical Insurance Bureau. Check any authorizations that you sign, it will usually include this. If you are not using insurance then insurance fraud is impossible unless it is on the part of the doctor.

We are worried about our medical records being digitized and available to the WH but that is already being done, it is just a matter of who accesses the information. NOTICE: If you get your insurance through your employer, they probably have unlimited access to what you have done.

DO NOT, I Repeat, DO NOT GO TO www.cars.gov or search and go to any "CASH FOR CLUNKERS" SITE THAT LEADS TO THIS SITE

On Glen Beck tonight, Glen used a different persons laptop to go to this site. When you start doing the signing in, and Click on the I agree statement, it will then notify you that now your computer is Property of the US Government, this includes all files, all history of sites you ever went to, and they can use that information against you! You will now be tracked and probably nailed!!!!

( Hopefully whoever let Glen use their computer, will be replacing it now and starting fresh with a different owners name, gads!)

It makes me think that they are setting up other gov't sites too, like this.

This is so blatant, it is an obvious RED FLAG.

arby....I'm looking for a link on Glenn Beck's site that addresses this aspect of the Cash for Clunkers. He's against the idea for sure. But I can't find anything about the computer invasion.....???????

I find plenty on blog sites about it but......not right at the source.

MtRider

arby....I'm looking for a link on Glenn Beck's site that addresses this aspect of the Cash for Clunkers. He's against the idea for sure. But I can't find anything about the computer invasion.....???????

I find plenty on blog sites about it but......not right at the source.

MtRider

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOBlqUqUZ8

I'm a bit confused though. It sounds like it only is the case when you are trying to sign up as a dealer, as in from a business that wishes to work with this federal government deal, not something for customers on home computers. Can anyone confirm this? Don't get me wrong, I'm highly against it either way, but then, I'm also against any governmental payouts for cars.

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOBlqUqUZ8

I'm a bit confused though. It sounds like it only is the case when you are trying to sign up as a dealer, as in from a business that wishes to work with this federal government deal, not something for customers on home computers. Can anyone confirm this? Don't get me wrong, I'm highly against it either way, but then, I'm also against any governmental payouts for cars.

It is for dealers only, not for private citizens. It isn't however on youtube anymore, it has been removed, which I find a redflag in itself

I just looked at the video. It is still on youtube.

The official site for "Cash for Clunkers" is www.cash.gov. They did a news investigation locally and found out that here are a lot of scam sites but that is the only legit one. They also specifically said that the money is only off the price of the new car, no money is sent to you. Apparently that is what the scam sites were claiming.

Here is their investigation.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10563041

Edited by ScrubbieLady
Yahoo! News

AP ENTERPRISE: Biggest tax revenue drop since 1932

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer 34 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The recession is starving the government of tax revenue, just as the president and Congress are piling a major expansion of health care and other programs on the nation's plate and struggling to find money to pay the tab.

The numbers could hardly be more stark: Tax receipts are on pace to drop 18 percent this year, the biggest single-year decline since the Great Depression, while the federal deficit balloons to a record $1.8 trillion.

Other figures in an Associated Press analysis underscore the recession's impact: Individual income tax receipts are down 22 percent from a year ago. Corporate income taxes are down 57 percent. Social Security tax receipts could drop for only the second time since 1940, and Medicare taxes are on pace to drop for only the third time ever.

The last time the government's revenues were this bleak, the year was 1932 in the midst of the Depression.

"Our tax system is already inadequate to support the promises our government has made," said Eugene Steuerle, a former Treasury Department official in the Reagan administration who is now vice president of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.

"This just adds to the problem."

While much of Washington is focused on how to pay for new programs such as overhauling health care — at a cost of $1 trillion over the next decade — existing programs are feeling the pinch, too.

Social Security is in danger of running out of money earlier than the government projected just a few month ago. Highway, mass transit and airport projects are at risk because fuel and industry taxes are declining.

The national debt already exceeds $11 trillion. And bills just completed by the House would boost domestic agencies' spending by 11 percent in 2010 and military spending by 4 percent.

For this report, the AP analyzed annual tax receipts dating back to the inception of the federal income tax in 1913. Tax receipts for the 2009 budget year were available through June. They were compared to the same period last year. The budget year runs from October to September, meaning there will be three more months of receipts this year.

Is there a way out of the financial mess?

A key factor is the economy's health. The future of current programs — not to mention the new ones Obama is proposing — will depend largely on how fast the economy recovers from the recession, said William Gale, co-director of the Tax Policy Center.

"The numbers for 2009 are striking, head-snapping. But what really matters is what happens next," he said. "If it's just one year, then it's a remarkable thing, but it's totally manageable. If the economy doesn't recover soon, it doesn't matter what your social, economic and political agenda is. There's not going to be any revenue to pay for it."

A small part of the drop in tax receipts can be attributed to new tax credits for individuals and corporations enacted in February as part of the $787 billion economic stimulus package. The sheer magnitude of the tax decline, however, points to the deep recession that is reducing incomes, wiping out corporate profits and straining government programs.

Social Security tax receipts are down less than a percentage point from last year, but in May the government had been projecting a slight increase. At the time, the government's best estimate was that Social Security would start to pay out more money than it receives in taxes in 2016, and that the fund would be depleted in 2037 unless changes are enacted.

Some experts think the sour economy has made those numbers outdated.

"You could easily move that number up three or four years, then you're talking about 2013, and that's not very far off," said Kent Smetters, associate professor of insurance and risk management at the University of Pennsylvania.

The government's projections included best- and worst-case scenarios. Under the worst, Social Security would start to pay out more money than it received in taxes in 2013, and the fund would be depleted in 2029.

The fund's trustees are still confident the solvency dates are within the range of the worst-case scenario, said Jason Fichtner, the Social Security Administration's acting deputy commissioner.

"We're not outside our boundaries yet," Fichtner said. "As the recovery comes, we'll see how that plays out."

The recession's toll on Social Security makes it even more urgent for Congress to address the fund's long-term solvency, said Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., chairman of the Senate Aging Committee.

"Over the past year, millions of older Americans have watched their retirement savings crumble, making the guaranteed income of Social Security more important than ever," Kohl said.

President Barack Obama has said he wants to tackle Social Security next year, after he clears an already crowded agenda that includes overhauling health care, addressing climate change and imposing new regulations on financial companies.

Medicare tax receipts are also down less than a percentage point for the year, pretty close to government projections. Medicare started paying out more money than it received last year.

Meanwhile, the recession is taking a toll on fuel and industry excise taxes that pay for highway, mass transit and airport projects. Fuel taxes that support road construction and mass transit projects are on pace to fall for the second straight year. Receipts from taxes on jet fuel and airline tickets are also dropping, meaning Congress will have to borrow more money to fund airport projects and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Last week, Congress voted to spend $7 billion to replenish the highway fund, which would otherwise run out of money in August. Congress spent $8 billion to replenish the fund last year.

Rep. Richard Neal, D-Mass., chairman of the House subcommittee that oversees fuel taxes, is working on a package to make the fund more self-sufficient. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which doesn't back many tax increases, supports increasing the federal gasoline tax, currently 18.4 cents per gallon.

Neal said he hasn't endorsed a specific plan. But, he added, "You can't keep going back to the general fund."

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Tax receipts have dropped because incomes have dropped so the answer is: raise taxes to make up the shortfall. :beat_deadhorse:

This is on yahoo news tonight: " Do We really have to Worry About Russia Now?" My question!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_russian_subs...HNvdXJjZXNydXM-

AP sources: Russian subs patrolling off East Coast

AP

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer Lolita C. Baldor, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 57 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Two nuclear-powered Russian attack submarines have been patrolling in international waters off the East Coast for several days, in activity reminiscent of the Cold War, defense officials said Tuesday.

U.S. Northern Command would not comment on the Russian submarines' movement. But in a prepared statement, Northern Command spokesman Michael Kucharek acknowledged the patrols and said the U.S. has been monitoring the two submarines.

Two senior U.S. officials, however, said the submarines had been patrolling several hundred miles off the coast and so far had done nothing to provoke U.S. military concerns. The officials provided details on condition of anonymity in order to discuss intelligence reports.

While the incident raises eyebrows, it did not trigger the more intense reaction by the U.S. military that Russia prompted when two of its bombers buzzed an American aircraft carrier in the western Pacific in February 2008. U.S. fighter planes intercepted the two Russian fighters, including one that flew directly over the USS Nimitz twice at an altitude of about 2,000 feet.

The event did not escalate beyond that, but it signaled a more aggressive military agenda by Moscow.

The latest incident, which was first reported by The New York Times, comes amid increased Russian military activity in the region, and as the Obama administration works to thaw tense relations with Moscow over plans for a missile defense system in Central Europe.

Just last week a senior Pentagon official said the administration is looking at options for the plan, which would install 10 interceptors in Poland and a radar system in the Czech Republic. Assistant Secretary of Defense Alexander Vershbow told Congress members that the Obama administration is looking at various configurations as part of its review of missile defense plans.

Russia, meanwhile, conducted naval exercises with Venezuela last year in the Caribbean and sent one of its warships through the Panama Canal for the first time since World War II. The exercises with Venezuela were the first deployment of Russian ships to the Western Hemisphere since the Cold War.

Officials said they became aware of the most recent submarine activity off the East Coast early on through intelligence sources and were not notified by Moscow in advance of the patrols. They said the submarines have not crossed into U.S. waters, which extend 12 miles out into the ocean.

The statement issued by Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command said, "We have been monitoring them during transit and recognize the right of all nations to exercise freedom of navigation in international waters according to international law."

___

On the Net:

NORAD: http://www.norad.mil/