MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 7:6

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Yesterday I was in the middle of doing this study...I had just saved what I had typed to another program, when my computer froze up out of the blue and I had to reboot it. When I rebooted it, and went to find the study I had saved, the program had not saved it and once again, I lost everything.

With this continuing to happen over and over again, it's very easy to see how the enemy is trying to prohibit these study installments, so I just ask Father, that You would place Your hand of protection over them. I'm willing to do them, and to do the best I can to save them and I need You to bridge the gap between that and them getting posted. They are being done to edify Your children, which glorifies You so I know that this study is in Your perfect will for all of our lives.

With that said...

Yesterday, a scripture that You had recently laid on my heart that I couldn't get out of my mind was where Jesus was telling Peter that he would deny Him 3 times. In Your Word, Christ said, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

The fact that Jesus, the Son of God prayed for Peter, just really struck me. So when I went into Your Word to find the above mentioned verses, I came upon the scripture where Christ was in Gethsemene praying to You. In that prayer, He prayed for Himself, for His disciples, and for all believers. Yesterday, I had posted His prayer, believing that the prayers that are prayed do not disappear once they are uttered and You hear them, but that they continue to rise before Your Holy Throne...even the prayer of Christ all those years ago, that was prayed over us. So Father, again, I'm going to post this prayer, standing under it, asking that the prayer of Your Son would cover my life and all Your children's lives...

John 17 (Amplified Bible):

1 WHEN JESUS had spoken these things, He lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, Father, the hour has come. Glorify and exalt and honor and magnify Your Son, so that Your Son may glorify and extol and honor and magnify You.

2 [Just as] You have granted Him power and authority over all flesh (all humankind), [now glorify Him] so that He may give eternal life to all whom You have given Him.

3 And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent.

4 I have glorified You down here on the earth by completing the work that You gave Me to do.

5 And now, Father, glorify Me along with Yourself and restore Me to such majesty and honor in Your presence as I had with You before the world existed.

6 I have manifested Your Name [i have revealed Your very Self, Your real Self] to the people whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, and You gave them to Me, and they have obeyed and kept Your word.

7 Now [at last] they know and understand that all You have given Me belongs to You [is really and truly Yours].

8 For the [uttered] words that You gave Me I have given them; and they have received and accepted [them] and have come to know positively and in reality [to believe with absolute assurance] that I came forth from Your presence, and they have believed and are convinced that You did send Me.

9 I am praying for them. I am not praying (requesting) for the world, but for those You have given Me, for they belong to You.

10 All [things that are] Mine are Yours, and all [things that are] Yours belong to Me; and I am glorified in (through) them. [They have done Me honor; in them My glory is achieved.]

11 And [now] I am no more in the world, but these are [still] in the world, and I am coming to You. Holy Father, keep in Your Name [in the knowledge of Yourself] those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We [are one].

12 While I was with them, I kept and preserved them in Your Name [in the knowledge and worship of You]. Those You have given Me I guarded and protected, and not one of them has perished or is lost except the son of perdition [Judas Iscariot--the one who is now doomed to destruction, destined to be lost], that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

13 And now I am coming to You; I say these things while I am still in the world, so that My joy may be made full and complete and perfect in them [that they may experience My delight fulfilled in them, that My enjoyment may be perfected in their own souls, that they may have My gladness within them, filling their hearts].

14 I have given and delivered to them Your word (message) and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world [do not belong to the world], just as I am not of the world.

15 I do not ask that You will take them out of the world, but that You will keep and protect them from the evil one.

16 They are not of the world (worldly, belonging to the world), [just] as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them [purify, consecrate, separate them for Yourself, make them holy] by the Truth; Your Word is Truth.

18 Just as You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.

19 And so for their sake and on their behalf I sanctify (dedicate, consecrate) Myself, that they also may be sanctified (dedicated, consecrated, made holy) in the Truth.

20 Neither for these alone do I pray [it is not for their sake only that I make this request], but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust in, cling to, rely on) Me through their word and teaching,

21 That they all may be one, [just] as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be one in Us, so that the world may believe and be convinced that You have sent Me.

22 I have given to them the glory and honor which You have given Me, that they may be one [even] as We are one:

23 I in them and You in Me, in order that they may become one and perfectly united, that the world may know and [definitely] recognize that You sent Me and that You have loved them [even] as You have loved Me.

24 Father, I desire that they also whom You have entrusted to Me [as Your gift to Me] may be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory, which You have given Me [Your love gift to Me]; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

25 O just and righteous Father, although the world has not known You and has failed to recognize You and has never acknowledged You, I have known You [continually]; and these men understand and know that You have sent Me.

26 I have made Your Name known to them and revealed Your character and Your very Self, and I will continue to make [You] known, that the love which You have bestowed upon Me may be in them [felt in their hearts] and that I [Myself] may be in them.

In Jesus Name I pray,

6. But now we have been annulled from the Law, having died to that wherein we were held: so that we serve in newness of spirit, and not in oldness of letter.

Watchman Nee comments on several words in this verse...the first word being "annulled (discharged)" and says, "Since the old man has been crucified, the regenerated new man is now free from the law of the old man (vv. 2-3; Gal. 2:19). Since the law was given to the old husband, the old man, not to the wife, and since the old husband, the old man, died on the cross, the new man, the wife, has been discharged from his law."

In regard to the word "serve" he writes, "Lit., serve as slaves."

To the word "newness" he states, "In 6:4, newness of life issues from our being identified with Christ's resurrection and is for our walk in our daily life. Here, newness of spirit issues from our being discharged from the law and being joined to the resurrected Christ, and is for our service to God. Thus, both newness of spirit and newness of life are results of the crucifixion of the old man."

And finally, in regard to the word "spirit" he writes, "Referring to our regenerated human spirit, in which the Lord as the Spirit dwells (2 Tim. 4:22). Everything that is related to our regenerated spirit is new, and everything that comes out of our spirit is new. Our regenerated spirit is a source of newness because the Lord, the life of God, and the Holy Spirit are there."

The rvbv writes, "This word which we have rendered annulled, is Paul's old word katargeo, - "put out of business." In Chapter Six we read that "our old man was crucified with Him in order that the body of sin might be annulled" - put out of business. That blessed message could be given to all believers, Jew or Gentile. For it is a federal one, as the words "our old man" reveal. But the Jew had not only the body of sin: he had distinctly given to him the Mosaic Law. Therefore it is written, in Chapter 7:6, that he has been annulled, put out of business, from that Law, having died to it. (Note that the King James Version wrongly renders that the Law died. But the verb number is plural, as the Revised Version and all the best mss. read. It was believers who died, not the Law!)

The Law which one "held" him now had nothing to do with him, for he had been put out of the Law's domain, out of the place of business in which the Law operated, that is, on natural children of Adam, on men in the flesh. What a glorious deliverance!

Now let us who are Gentile believers most carefully note two things: 1. that the Jewish believer, who was put publicly, and under sanctions of death, under the Law, by God at Sinai, has been declared by that same God to have died to that wherein he was held, so that the Law has no more business with him. 2. That therefore, however deeply taught by tradition that we Gentile believers are under law, we must throw that tradition all away. For if the Jew, who was Divinely placed under the Law, has been made dead to it and discharged therefrom, put out of the sphere and domain of the Law, then what presumption for a Gentile to claim that he is under that Law before God!

So that we serve! - Wonderful paradoxes of the gospel! In verse 4, having died, they bear fruit; and here, having been discharged, they serve. What an unspeakable satisfaction filled the apostle's heart, at finding himself serving God, in all the capacities of his love-filled being, the more he felt his complete freedom from that Law that once "held" him. In the old days, it was, "I verily thought I ought to do"; now it is, "I delight to do." As we say elsewhere, the instructed believer finds himself doing the will of God as it is in heaven, that is, in the very spirit of service, and not by forms, or ordinances - which are earthly "rudiments". Oldness of letter it once was - minute particulars of legal observances according to the tradition of the fathers; newness of spirit it had become when the apostle learned that he had died out to the whole legal sphere, to the Adam-position - man in the flesh, unto whom the Law had been given at Sinai. (But inasmuch as the endeavor is widely made to make the Law "the first husband," it seems well to urge the fact that this would be to depart from the illustration entirely.

For the fact to be illustrated is, that law rules humanity till death. The illustration is this universal one of a woman bound by law to a husband: not to the Law as a husband! Death now intervenes, and "the law of the husband" binds her no more. The Law was seen only as governing a relationship, - between husband and wife. A common conception would make the Law the husband! But the husband and wife are both ruled over by law: and if we make the Law the husband, what law would be over that Law? Furthermore, it is said, "if the husband died." This word excludes all idea of the Law being a husband: for God's Law does not die. God would not speak thus.

And again, if we are to carry out this illustration, we must find one with whom the person to be set free (here called "the woman") is lawfully connected, and that connection broken by death. Now who, or what, is this?

Does not the whole passage - from Chapter 5:12 onward tell us plainly? With whom were we first connected except Adam the first? All our standing and our responsibilities were in him. Our relation to him was such as nothing but death cuold break! We were responsible to furnish God a perfect righteousness and holiness in the flesh. No matter if we could not: we ought to do so. Our inability does not at all diminish our responsibility.

Now, what did God do? "Our old man was crucified." We shared Christ's death as made sin for us. We died to our whole position in Adam, and to our obligations connected with him.

However, inasmuch as the Mosaic Law was a complete economy under which God placed His chosen nation, we do not wonder that many who carry the illustration to its limits have regarded the Law as the "first husband." We do not desire to quarrel with these expositors: only let them confine the Mosaic economy where God confined it - to Israel. Let Israel's deliverance therefrom be to the Gentile believer a glorious illustration of his own blessed position - not under law as a principle, but under grace (6:14).)

Truly Paul could say to his Jewish fellow-believers, God has here, concerning the Law, conferred on us a heavenly degree of D.D.: "Dead, Discharged." (Beware that you do not turn into an LL.D. and go about "desiring to be teachers of the Law, understanding neither what you say, no whereof you confidently affirm!" (I Tim. 1:7.)

Now unto us Gentile believers, what a breeze from the delectable mountains this passage is! For our poor consciences are always - sad to say - ready to hear of some new "duty" or "path of surrender," or "dying out" to this or that: not satisfied with God's plain announcement that we died to sin, are not under law: that even those whom He placed under The Law had died to it, and been discharged therefrom! And that we are to present ourselves to Him as "alive from the dead, and our members as instruments of righteousness unto God - 'whose service is perfect freedom.'" (Note carefully that it is to God that we are to present ourselves, and that as in Christ (Rom. 6:11,13). We are not told to present ourselves to Christ, for we are already vitally in Him.)"

Heavenly Father,

I'm speechless right now. You are opening my eyes to some details that I had missing in my understanding, that are now coming together through and because of, this study.

Thank You for pressing me to do it, even though I didn't want to. Thank You for putting up with all my arguments with You about it. Thank You for being God because only You could have accomplished something I could never accomplish myself.

I love You more than yesterday, and know that today, I love You less than I will tomorrow. Your essence, Your presence, Your being, You being God just fills my heart to the point where sometimes I wonder how I can handle the fullness that You give me.

As a sidenote Father...I just now, almost lost this study again. Thank You for preserving it. Even with small things like this, You are ever faithful.

In Jesus Name I pray,

I think I may print out that prayer of Jesus and put it in one of my Crisis binders. And it IS for all of us who come so long after this was uttered: Verse 20

20 Neither for these alone do I pray [it is not for their sake only that I make this request], but also for all those who will ever come to believe in (trust in, cling to, rely on) Me through their word and teaching,

Oh and...take note in verse 13. There is that JOY of the Lord thing again. :D

13 And now I am coming to You; I say these things while I am still in the world, so that My joy may be made full and complete and perfect in them [that they may experience My delight fulfilled in them, that My enjoyment may be perfected in their own souls, that they may have My gladness within them, filling their hearts].

MtRider [....and God give a special protection over Darlene and the words she types that are blessed by You.....cause this obvious harassment to cease.... ] [....and while YOU are at it, could I get some protection from my Internet dropping everytime I try to post something of significance too.... :) ]