MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

Well, we got past 200 posts in the first thread with this title, which tends to make threads drag, so here we go with "Part 2".

**Cat peeks over your shoulder towards the kitchen...**

Sooooo... what'cha dehydrating today???

:)

Dehydrating link Part 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sooooo... what'cha dehydrating today???

We've got slightly over 3/4 of a case of nectarines going. (they Did finally ripen. DH has already eaten the other part. lol ) Mea.

I took my dehydrated foods and put them into jars, and then vacuum sealed them. I have about 30 quart jars of dehydrated food. it looks cool on the shelves.

Last thing I dehydrated was about a week ago -- zuchinni. Friday I get paid and there are some great deals in the grocery stores right now. Tomatoes for 25 cents a lb. Bananas for 33 cents a lb. :-) I am wondering if Kiwi dehydrates -- they have those 5/1$

Grapes. They are some variety of red seedless and they were free! (I just had to pick them) I dried a few a couple of days ago and they are a bit more tangy than store bought but I think they'll be great in muffins and bread! So, my dehydrator will be full of grapes for the next week.

Another question:

Does it make any difference if you leave the empty trays on or take them off the dehydrator while it's running?

I dry my onions until "crisp". As for the trays, mine requires a minimum numbers of trays to operate properly. The trays don't have to have anything on them, but they need to be there for the fan element to work correctly. Do you have the manual? (I have the one that Wal-Mart sells - American Harvester, maybe?)

I dry my onions until "crisp". As for the trays, mine requires a minimum numbers of trays to operate properly. The trays don't have to have anything on them, but they need to be there for the fan element to work correctly. Do you have the manual? (I have the one that Wal-Mart sells - American Harvester, maybe?)

I'll put them back in for awhile then.

lol, ya, I have the manual. Trying to use logic on me :P

I didn't remember seeing anything about trays.

Alrighty, I have read and re-read the manual and unless it's hiding in some obscure place (like right under my nose) in there it doesn't say anything about how many trays should be used for optimal performance.

I have a 700w Nesco for fyi purposes.

Does anyone know how long it takes for sage to dry out? I put it on yesterday afternoon and it still isn't ready. I guess I should have thought about it before tackling it first. LOL!

According to my handy dandy instruction booklet that happens to be sitting right here, Sage takes 20 to 24 hours. Drying temps should not exceed 90* to 100*.

(Don't tell anyone . . . I dry my herbs in the microwave. it takes about 3 mins :rolleyes:

Put them on a couple paper towels and nuke at 30 sec intervals stirring between bursts until crispy. )

Another question:

Does it make any difference if you leave the empty trays on or take them off the dehydrator while it's running?

Prickle, my recollection is the recommendation that with the Nesco, you have at least four trays in it while running, even if some are empty, to ensure adequate room for air circulation.

I will blanch and do some blueberries and do up some jerky this weekend. If the blueberries turn out good I will be going to an organic farm and getting blueberries later this month. Everything is ripening very slowly, with the cold damp weather here, so its all about a month or more late. Down in the forties tonight too. I think Fall will be early this year. I hope the farmers can get their corn in !

Last weekend I used my dehydrator for the first time. I dried some pineapple, nectarines, grapes (I blanched them, but they seemed a little weird), bananas, honeydew and cantaloupe melon, strawberries. It was fun to try all those things since I am pretty clueless. I have peaches in now, and it has been about 7hrs, so I will check them. I read that they should not have any droplets of juice when opened and squeezed. The timeframes for stuff is so broad... any tips about knowing when something is "done"? I put the dried fruit in baggies and it is in the frig. Not sure from here... sealer??

Thanks! Cathy

This booklet will help you. We sell this one, but you can see it online for free.

http://info.ag.uidaho.edu/Resources/PDFs/PNW0397.pdf

Thank you, Violet. This is very helpful. I got a book called "Dry it, you'll like it" which is helpful, but was written for solar type dehydrators, even has plans for building one. I like it but don't have confidence yet to know what applies from one method to another.

Blueberries!!! I found a bunch at a local farmer's market for 1.00 a LB. I love to put them in my cereal and oatmeal in the wintertime and they are great just to snack on when i'm out and about. I also make muffins and breads too- They keep for a long time.

5 pounds of potatoes, 6 pounds of carrots, and 5 lbs of green beans. I plan to do 10 pounds more of potatoes, 2 stalks of celery and all my older onions this week. I also have a batch of juice to do too.

You never know what smell the house will have when you walk in these days. :)

So I have a stupid question. How do you vaccum seal a jar?

If you have a vacuum sealer some of them have jar attachments or you can also use one of the canisters. You put the canning jar inside the canister and let the sealer do it's thing.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer you can use oxygen absorbers. I believe it's a 100cc absorber per quart jar.

Edited by Prickle