MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

Hooray....I finally accomplished a task. Picked last of rhubarb and chopped it up. The dehydrator is humming away right now. I've tried freezing it but it gets lost in the depths and gets quite freezer-burned. So I'm trying this. Anyone dehydrate rhubarb?

MtRider - rhubarb and gooseberries are the only two 'fruit' that will grow up here. :yar:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hooray....I finally accomplished a task. Picked last of rhubarb and chopped it up. The dehydrator is humming away right now. I've tried freezing it but it gets lost in the depths and gets quite freezer-burned. So I'm trying this. Anyone dehydrate rhubarb?

MtRider - rhubarb and gooseberries are the only two 'fruit' that will grow up here. :yar:

Philbe has a motto ... if it grows in a garden and will hold still long enough, I'll "try" to dehydrate it! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Dried salt fish. The fillets come out dry and light as Styrofoam. Weird, actually, but just because I'm not used to dealing with salt fish. Tonight I re-hydrate some to get some practice in that...Creamed Salt Fish over potatoes, or Fish patties?

Have any of you any thoughts on dehydrating herbs that have bolted? Nearly all of my herbs (lemon thyme, thyme, basil, 2 kinds of parsley & chives) have now bolted. I've pulled some leaves etc., and used them to cook with, but wondered about dehydrating them before they start to die back. Also, do any of you have any experience with any of them coming back volunteer if you "don't" pull them out & replant for the next year?

Perennials will come back easily, others tend to self-seed esp if you help them along. Yes, I have had many volunteers come up in the garden. Thyme is perennial if protected from my harsh winters, chives come back & spread like crazy. Parsley self seeds vigorously. Basil did not overwinter for me, too cold I think. Sage makes a pretty potted plant, but it spreads from the center outward, and needs to be divided to keep it alive after a year or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I made four big batches of cooked rice to put in the dehydrator a couple of days ago.

I tried to seal it in small Mylar bags and I couldn't get them to seal. Do Mylar bags not work with a Food Saver?

So, I sealed it in quart size Food Saver bags. Today some of the bags lost their seal. I guess the rice poked a hole in the bag because I made two seals on the top of each bag.

I want to seal it in small bags (4-5 cups) so I don't have to open a big bag and let it sit, and then store the smaller bags in a bucket.

On to Plan C what ever that is. :banghead:

You might ruin your FoodSaver doing that. Most people seal their Mylar bags with a common Iron. I'm curious why you choose the small Mylar bags instead of FoodSaver Quart or Gallon bags.

I was trying to use Mylar because I already had a lot of big ones that I wasn't using. So I cut a few of them down to about quart size. Also I thought they would be stronger than the plastic Food Saver bags. The Food Saver bags sealed great...until this morning. I suppose I'll go ahead and use them with an Oxygen Absorber and an iron. I've done that before with the big bags. I THOUGHT the Food Saver would be quicker. Fill em, Seal em, Bucket em and Store em. I should know by now nothing is that easy around here.

I made four big batches of cooked rice to put in the dehydrator a couple of days ago.

I tried to seal it in small Mylar bags and I couldn't get them to seal. Do Mylar bags not work with a Food Saver?

So, I sealed it in quart size Food Saver bags. Today some of the bags lost their seal. I guess the rice poked a hole in the bag because I made two seals on the top of each bag.

I want to seal it in small bags (4-5 cups) so I don't have to open a big bag and let it sit, and then store the smaller bags in a bucket.

On to Plan C what ever that is. :banghead:

Jeepers...I bought some ankle socks from $Tree and put my minute rice in them, enough for us two, and tied them off with a hair band. Then vacuum sealed them in regular vacuum sealed bags, until they're hard as a brick. Then I put them into a food save 5 gallon bucket with a gasket seal lid. A little bit of work, but worth it! I think there's a picture of my "rice tubes" wandering somewhere around here...LOL All I need to do is add boiling water and let them sit.

Edited by Philbe

Just in case we can't find them...here's pics of my "rice tubes". One shows a sock of minute rice vacuume sealed, and the other shows a few of them in the bottom of my bucket. We fill them all the way to the top. Again, all I need to do is dump a tube in a boiling pan of water, cover it, and wait for it to cook. I want to try putting some of the rice into water, putting it into my solar oven, and see what the result are. I know one can put the rice & boiling water in a wide mouthed thermos bottle & let it cook.

Edited by Philbe