MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sold my dehydrator when we moved. Now I want another one. I looked at Academy. They had two. One was $34.95 and the other was $139.35. Both had several shelves. All I used to use it for was to make Jerky. Now I want to do a little of everything. What do you suggest? It has been about 5 years since I did anything. Thank you.

More green onions! I planted the bulbs from the last batch indoors in pots and they were harvestable within 2 weeks :) We'll see if it keeps up the quick pace.

green peppers and eggplant. I *think* that's the last from the garden. I have a few small eggplants but I don't think they'll make it with the weather we've had.

also did some pita chips with day old pita rounds from the food store. 45 cents for a pack of 4 which makes a big ziploc bag full of chips. A small bag of chips costs almost 4 dollars at the store.

Edited by FINE
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished drying some mashed sweet potatoes and put it in jars. They have such a nice bright orange color, I think I'll leave them out on the counter for a little while for a fall decoration. The dehydrator is going again. This time I put in some sliced apples, dipped in O.J., and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.

I have 10 lbs. of ROUND peas in my freezer that I need to get dehydrated - gotta start making room for turkey! Luckily, I just got some of those mesh screens for my dehydrator so I'll have to take them for a test drive!

• 2 weeks later...

I dried asparagus yesterday... that stuff dries *tiny*!! :huh:

Today I did fresh pineapple, since it's on sale this week. Used gloves because of the feeling it gives my hands... :yuk:

That stuff just gets sweeter and sweeter! It's only half dried but I have to grab a couple of pieces whenever I go by. (Luckily the kids haven't found it yet! ;) )

Got a mixture going today...

Zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and tomatoes. Dehydrated mushrooms smell like stinky feet to me so I hope it doesn't translate over to the other veggies but we couldn't eat them all before they went bad so I got them all in the dehydrator. Also got some sweet potatoes sliced and steamed, just waiting for vacant trays come tomorrow or the day after. :D

Apples ! MacIntosh to be precise.

DH tried using our *Apple-Peeler-Corer-Slicer* gadget thingy. We quikly found that the peeler part kept filling and jamming. So we ended using it as a Corer-Slicer That worked pretty good.

The house smells all apple-y. Yum.

Edited by Mea

I have a batch of onions in right now and have another bunch to go in. Found them on sale. I know so little about dehydrating (canning, preserving, ... etc. lol) How do I know when the onions are done? How dry do they need to be to be dry. And then, how do you store them?? Hubby watched the last batch and crushed them and we have them in a jar for current use. But these will go into long-term storage, so I'm not sure what comes next.

To give you more information/confidence in dehydrating different food items, you might want to get a copy of "Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook."

Onions will become crispy dry and can be stored in a bag or jar almost indefinitely as long as it is away from bugs and moisture. I now use the ziploc seal vacuum bags for storing my dried stuff and that seems to work quite well and I can open a bag for what I need and then reseal it.

Onions I will powder in the blender and add to my spice rack, along with minced and chopped onions. I've been thinking of putting chopped dried onions in the oven to roast them a bit to see how the flavor comes out, but haven't done it yet.