MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today? Part 2

I'm working on my 3rd head of cabbage and 1 more to go to put in soup. I've never done much dehydrating other then onions and jerky but I'm gonna try some new things now especially things to make up soup mixes.

the stuff for soup mixes sounds great!!! what all will you do ...

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a web site a lady told me about its: dehydrate2store.com. I want to mix my dry carrots, potatoes, onions etc, into serving size portions so all I have to do is pour it into broth, water what ever for soup. I've never done much dehydrating but I'm learning. I've done onions,potatoes,carrots and cabbage besides jerky.

There is a web site a lady told me about its: dehydrate2store.com. I want to mix my dry carrots, potatoes, onions etc, into serving size portions so all I have to do is pour it into broth, water what ever for soup. I've never done much dehydrating but I'm learning. I've done onions,potatoes,carrots and cabbage besides jerky.

thanks for your ideas!! exciting site!!

I usually dehydrate something on Friday's, but today I am freezing onions and mushrooms, instead. While I like adding dehydrated mushrooms to recipes in the winter, I adore having fresh or frozen ones to use in the summer.

picked up some yellow onions for 39 cents a pound today ...

Apples with cinnamon sprinkled on them. They sure are good.

Our Walmart had strawberries on sale for $1.00 a lb. They are next. I had been lax at dehydrating fruit. I finally learned that fresh fruit is better than frozen. Now I am trying to get caught up.

TMC, yes I love fresh mushrooms too, but I also like to get them dried and stored. Even in the summer I tend to make stews and soups and throw some in when I do if I don't have fresh. I bought 3 good boxes and use one the next few days for cooking, and the other two in the dehydrator. I figured if I did it that way when I choose a particular food to dry then it would add up faster and I would enjoy some too, currently as I do that.

But the big concern for me is that the prices are already very high at my local store so the more I do now, sooner than later , at least I have it then stocked up and can use the dried ones just fine, if it gets way too expensive by Fall. I will rotate them.

They are terrific brain food for me and I loveeee mushrooms.

TMC, yes I love fresh mushrooms too, but I also like to get them dried and stored. Even in the summer I tend to make stews and soups and throw some in when I do if I don't have fresh. I bought 3 good boxes and use one the next few days for cooking, and the other two in the dehydrator. I figured if I did it that way when I choose a particular food to dry then it would add up faster and I would enjoy some too, currently as I do that.

But the big concern for me is that the prices are already very high at my local store so the more I do now, sooner than later , at least I have it then stocked up and can use the dried ones just fine, if it gets way too expensive by Fall. I will rotate them.

They are terrific brain food for me and I loveeee mushrooms.

Have you ever tried the mushroom grow boxes? I did a couple of years ago. Here are a few pics:

http://mission-2-mars.blogspot.com/search/label/mushrooms

Whenever I harvested shrooms, I made a point of rinsing each on in a small bowl to get the mycelium (seed). Then I used that water to re-seed the soil in the grow box. They kept producing for far longer than they were supposed to.

Dehydrated a huge container of dill pickles since I wouldn't be able to eat them for awhile and didn't want them to go to waste. Interested snack.

On Monday I'm going through Gastric Bypass surgery to lose weight. All the food and canning over the years have added up and this is my last resort to get back a life before the coffin closes on me.

TMC if I had a place to grow them it would be great. I have read about them before. If I ever get my own place I would definitely do so. :thumbs: It's great that you grow your own that way. Cool idea to get the seeds needed for the next batch. What times of the year are best to grow them in our state?

Dried another dehydrator full of mushrooms last night, and doing mixed veggies now. I use these in stews and soups and spaghetti sauce to increase fiber and vitamins and color. They cook up just fine. ;)

the mixed veggies, 4 lbs will fit in a quart canning jar once dried. I put them in pint jars though since I have more of those.

I am now drying sliced carrots, just two and a half pounds at this point,but its a start on carrots.

I have a busy evening tonight so tomorrow will figure out if I want to can some beans up and what next, like sliced green beans for the dehydrator I guess. Not sure how long it will take for the carrot slices to dry, so shall see how they do.

I found out green beans are a diuretic as well, yesterday so thats good to help my hbp actually. I will be doing alot more of those too. they have more vitamins than I realized as well.

12 more fruit rollups and several trays of dried trail mix stuff--going to the store tomorrow to get papaya and mango and pineapple for the dehydrator next

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

squash and onions and garlic ... oh my :wink (2):

• 4 weeks later...