MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

H1N1 More Severely Affects Pregnant Women

WormGuy

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/

July 28th, 2009Study: H1N1 virus more severely affects pregnant womenPosted: 09:18 PM ETBy Tom Watkins

CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) — Pregnant women who are infected with the H1N1 virus are more likely to be hospitalized from it and perhaps even more likely to die from it, according to a federal study released Wednesday.

The authors of the study suggest that pregnant women infected with the virus — commonly known as swine flu — take antiviral drugs to protect themselves and their fetuses.

“If they feel sick, they need to call their health care provider and their health care provider needs to prescribe antivirals promptly,” said Dr. Denise J. Jamieson, lead author of the study and a medical officer at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some doctors are reluctant to prescribe the drugs to pregnant women because they are concerned about their possible effect on the fetus, but Jamieson urged them to put aside those concerns.

:wormie2:

John

I have been following this closely and guess what found out a couple of weeks ago I am pregnant. I have asked my doctor about the vaccines for this flu she said that they will be vaccinating pregnant women for sure. I asked her about oscillo and she said to bring the box to my next appointment and she will look at it. This scares me somewhat first baby and all. Now debating whether I will allow them to vaccinate me or not. I am due March 4 so I will be going right into the flu season.

I've been watching the releases week by week. Where the deceased are broken down by gender and age, male deaths outnumber female deaths by six to one here, nine to one there. Females who die are nearly always either pregnant or preschoolers.

Archived