MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not 'Just' a Dog

lunamother

Galut is up and traveling, on 2 types of pain meds and antibiotics. she asked very politely but very insistently to be allowed to do guard duty last night, but I told her she can't sleep outside at night till her stitches are out in 10 days. just so she didn't think of herself as a complete slacker, we did patrol the perimeter like she does (at midnight- like she does), and she did lie down in her two sleeping spots- right under our bedroom window, and under the huge oak tree facing down the road. she'd just drop and stare up at me like "ok- gnite" :24:

I was hoping that thee would be an update today. So glad that Galut is coming along so well. ! M.....sending good doggie vibes her way.

well, she's refusing to take the antibiotic pills- they're huge capsules and one broke open in her mouth- they must be pretty bitter cuz she started foaming :blink: - now she wants nothing to do with them no matter WHAT they're wrapped in :24:

sokay- I'll just give her shots instead :)

we took her drain tube out today, and the stitches in another week.

she's doing great :wub:

Glad she is doing well Luna. Have you tried peanutbutter on bread wrapped around the pill to get them down her? It works like a charm on both of mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Galut did great after surgery.

She opted to live outside once she healed, and could boogie up and down the road like she had all 4 legs- with her thick long fur, people had to take double and triple takes to realize she was 3 legged.

then Christmas Eve she disappeared.

We looked everywhere. our woods, the neighbors' woods, the entire area for a good 1/2 mile all directions (very thickly wooded and she's never been out of sight of 'her' house)

She'd been gone 5 days and I'd resigned myself to the probability that she'd gone off to die in a nice sunny spot in the woods- she was too smart to get caught in a fence or hit by a car- but it made me crazy to not know for sure.

The 5th day I saw our neighbor dog- also a pyr (one of our pups from a few years ago, but once he went to live with the neighbors he stopped even 'talking' to me) headed up the road on his way home. I called him, expecting him to ignore me- like usual.

He stopped and looked at me.

I asked him "Do you know where she is? Is she ok?" and I started to cry because I'm a big dumb girl.

Bear looked at me intently, then turned and trotted back the way he'd just come from.

Two hours later, Galut came up the road.

I don't care what makes 'sense', I believe with all my heart that Bear went and told her "Go home- your mom's crying".

The day after she came home, I saw Bear again and told him "Thank you". He came up to me- something he never does- reared up and gently put both bear paws on my shoulders and softly touched my nose with his before resuming his regularly scheduled aloofness.

She came into the house and except for going outside to potty, didn't leave again- wanting to be with me all the time. She slept in our room and I was only too happy to go outside with her- she was traveling shorter and shorter distances now, but her appetite was still good and she wasn't in obvious pain. Every minute we were together she never took her eyes off of me, and I know that because I never took mine off of her. We both knew we had to make the most of the time we had left.

Six weeks after coming home, she became so weak she could no longer get up. She stopped eating and I had to tuck bedpads underneath her.

Her eyes were still loving, but very tired, and a little embarrassed.

Dr. Bryan came out to the house and put her to sleep with her head in my lap, and all the boys around her, petting her.

They told us at surgery to expect 3-6 months, and at her age (going on 9) probably the shorter time frame. She lived a good full life till the last few days and it was 7 months.

We've just got Sugarbearmarshmallowdog left of the 4 pyrs we had just a year ago- Tacoma was never recovered after being stolen (Bear is his son and is so much like his dad it's almost painful to see him), Bloo couldn't be broken from killing poultry and went to live on a goat farm withOUT chickens, and now Galut is gone.

We're not in the market just yet for another till Ward's through this latest bit with HIS health, but I WILL have another pyr- they're the most amazing dogs I've ever been around and they've captured my heart.

We're not in the market just yet for another till Ward's through this latest bit with HIS health, but I WILL have another pyr- they're the most amazing dogs I've ever been around and they've captured my heart.

:bighug2:

I know how our furbabies wrap themselves around our hearts ! It ain't east to lose one !

Archived