MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Daughter is very sick...what I'm learning

ANewMe

Picked my daughter up from daycare yesterday and she said she had a headache. When I got to my Mom's I mentioned it and we felt her and she was burning up. She became pretty lethargic and started having seizures (she's epileptic and hasn't done this in a long time.) We went to the ER and it was pretty busy. Lots of sick kids and I was told the flu was in the school and they had already treated many that night. All tests were negative and flu swab was negative BUT the Dr said that she could actually have it if she had been exposed and it was not showing up on swab yet. Watch for any coughing or stuffiness...and he gave us Tamiflu.

Got home and gave her meds and she started throwing up and minor seizures continued. I finally tried a "fever free suppository" at 2 am. At 5:30 her fever was 105. It is lingering around 104 and I just got Motrin down her. I'm heading to a Dr apt at 2:15

Now, what I've learned....

I had started picking up meds and stuff...just in case but I still had holes. In my case I'm home alone and can't take her out to get what I need so my Dad ran to store for me. I started thinking what if we weren't able to just run out for it? What if the items were not available because of so many sick people? What if there were some kind of quarantine?

These were my holes...

No gatorade, sprite, gingerale

No liquid Tylenol (I had chewables and she couldn't chew them)

How many extra sheets do you have?? If your child is throwing up you can go through them quick

Plain Pringles in a red can...they recommended b/c they said they are not greasy and have more taste than crackers

popsicles

I can guarantee I will have a stash of all of these items put up from this point on.....

Now can you think of anything else?

:pray: for your little one ANewMe

FEVER - http://www.fluwiki.info/pmwiki.php?n=Consequences.Fever

Oral Rehydration Solutions: Made at Home: http://rehydrate.org/solutions/homemade.htm#10

Recipe for Gatorade

4 1/2 c sugar

1 T salt

4 pkgs unsweetened lemonade koolaid

3 pkgs unsweetened koolaid (orange, lime, grape, cherry, etc)

Lois, I think you might want to edit that recipe, it looks a bit off, LOL! It doen't say how much water.... and 7 packs of Koolaid?

"Lois, I think you might want to edit that recipe, it looks a bit off, LOL! It doen't say how much water.... and 7 packs of Koolaid?"

:o Thanks for the heads up Cricket :rolleyes:

Gatorade Recipe

4 1/2 c sugar

1 T salt

Actually I got this recipe here - just don't recall where exactly.

Mix well. Add 1/3 c mix per 1 qt water. Mix or shake til dissolved.

"Lois, I think you might want to edit that recipe, it looks a bit off, LOL! It doen't say how much water.... and 7 packs of Koolaid?"

:o Thanks for the heads up Cricket :rolleyes:

Gatorade Recipe

4 1/2 c sugar

1 T salt

Actually I got this recipe here - just don't recall where exactly.

Mix well. Add 1/3 c mix per 1 qt water. Mix or shake til dissolved.

Actually I got this recipe here - just not sure exactly where.

Thanks so much for the recipe...I have to add that one to my binder.

They say that she has either Roseola or Fifths Disease. For the first time she is being active but I loaded her up on motrin and tylenol and she is starting to get warm again. He wants me to continue the Tamiflu as well. If he wasn't a friend as well as my Dr. I don't know if I would continue it or not. Says it could run several days....I hope I can find a sub. I've had no luck yet.

I ran to the grocery store and loaded up on ginger ale, sprite, gatorade, juice and pringles. From now on I plan to make sure I have plenty of koolaide pkgs for above recipe and 2 liters of gingerale and such put in my pantry.

I'm sorry she's sick. Roseola or 5ths disease are not fun. I hope she feels better very soon.

I stocked up on Sambucol/Sambucus last winter at first alert of H1N1. You can get it on line, very reasonable. It's extract of elderberry and has been in use forever. Good prep to have on hand.

http://www.sambucolusa.com/

Roseola would not make your child vomit, it's the tamiflu that's doing that. Nasty side effect of that stuff in little ones... :( Roseola will also have a very characteristic rash, especially on the torso, around the fourth day of illness. If she doesn't get that it's likely fifth disease or influenza that just hadn't developed enough to show on the swab.

My daughter got roseola a year ago while her daddy was in El Salvador...I was a sad and slightly scared mommy when my little, barely two-year-old was spiking high fevers and not wanting to do ANYTHING but sleep!!! Poor babies, they don't understand why they're sick... :(

I'll be praying for your precious girl...I hope that epilepsy calms down and she feels better FAST!!!!

If they are spiking a fever, you can take a wet washcloth and strip them down, lay the washcloth on their back & turn on a box fan to blow on them. Yes they will howl for the first hour, but it will pull down the temp, out of the danger area.

For a child unable to swallow a chewable medicine, just grind it up small and put it in some water or soda or Koolaid...

Remember if vomiting frequently, have them drink small amounts (around 1oz or less) about every 10min, until they stop vomiting.

For a little one that is dehydrated and cannot keep anything down; in an emergency situation and you cannot get them medical care; immerse the child to her neck in warm water. Keep an eye on the temp so you neither chill, nor over heat the child. Young children absorb a considerable amount of water thru the skin. Do not turn your back on th child even for an instant.

Signs of dehydration include dry mouth, no tears, not urinating and skin that stays pinched up when you gently pull it out from the body.

ANM~

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one and hope she is on the mends. I glanced through your list & wrote everything down to add to the grocery list. (Gramma Lois - Thanks you for the recipe for the gatorade solution). I would just add a few things: An electrolite solution (my kids won't drink gatorade), I keep freeze 'em pops on hand (the ones you freeze yourself - I buy a big box and just keep a few in the freezer - great for teething, too), rice milk or soy milk-shelf stable (the ped always recommends cutting out milk because of mucus), pull-ups if kids are young and potty trained.

:pray:

Jori

I don't think she had anything that the Dr suggested....by Thursday the fever broke and no rash. He had suggested continuing the Tamiflu because we have Swine in the schools here but I did not. I put it up in case I need it later. Right now she is wild as a hank and running from can to can't. Tearing up my house, but I am thankful. I decided to pick up gingerale or sprite (Kroger brand) anytime I get the chance. Thank you all for your prayers and thanks Gramma for the recipe!!!

Archived