MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It's a fairytale...and my MIL is living it!!!

ANewMe

My FIL died long before my husband and I married. I only know him by the stories told and most of them were about what a good man he was and how hard he worked. In some of the stories told it has been made pretty clear that although he was a very good man, he did not do things for MIL or really make her feel like a Queen. Not to say he was mean in anyway...I just don't think he gave her much attention. For instance, she had an old ORANGE pinto (can you imagine???) that she had to drive, while a brand new car sat in the shop. It was only driven to Church and to go visit family. The day FIL died they said my MIL pulled that car down and put the orange pinto in the shop!!

Well, last Nov. I had come here and asked for prayer because she had fallen and broken her hip. She is so frail and I was really concerned that she may just give up. This is a woman who can handle no conflict, no decision making, has no backbone and her children (or daughters) have always run over her. During the week after her surgery, while she was in rehab, a gentleman called looking for her. His name was George and they were high school sweethearts. The last time they saw each other they were on a bus....he was going to the military and she was moving here. They never saw each other again and lost touch. Both married and started families. George's wife died close to a year ago and he was going through high school yearbooks only to find the promise that he and my MIL made to each other....that they would always try to find each other somewhere down the road.

So he started looking for her and found her. He called her everyday....MANY times a day....and there is no doubt that his phone calls pulled her through rehab. She came home and the conversations got more serious and before we knew it they were talking marriage...maybe. He lives 12 hours away so we weren't sure how this would play out. He came here at the begiining of the summer and they spent their time up where they grew up with all of their brothers and sisters. We barely heard from her and the next thing we knew there was a for sale sign in the front yard of her house. George left two weeks ago and MIL was devastated. She said she had to wait for this or that...i reminded her that the house would not sale any faster with her in it and life is short so be happy. (They are 70+ yrs old)

The next thing we knew she had a plane ticket and flew to SC Monday and was married on Tues!!! We packed very little because he told her he was going to buy her a new wardrobe. He met her at the airport with 1 carat diamond earrings....Mother has never had anything like that. They got to her "new" home and she was floored. It was huge. She said her kitchen, dining, and LR would fit into her new LR and she has maid service. He presented her with a 3carat diamond wedding band. He has promised us to treat her liek the princess she is and that he would "not let us down". He told me personally that we would always have a home there. He seems to be a fine man....deacon in the Church....she attended Church alone all of her life. He called and asked my husband and his brother for their permission to "court" their mother in the beginning. He has made it clear that all money that she recieves stays in HER act here. Money from the house....stays in an act in HER name here. He does not want any of her money. He just wants to love her and take care of her.

They sound like teenagers....it is so refreshing to hear and expeience something that is so wonderful while everything else seems to be just crumbling in our world. We all miss MIL...but we are sooo happy for her.

Now, we have to pack up her house, decide what we want and get it sold...and break we get...we'll be going to Myrtle Beach to visit our new family

What a sweet, romantic story. That should be a movie ! I do hope he continues to adore her and give her a lovely life. May God bless them in their life together.

You have a grand time in Myrtle Beach !!!

I loved Myrtle Beach as a little girl. I got to go there when I was about 11 years old and spend a week at a beach house with some aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was so fun ! Spent so much time in the water playing. Then, as an adult, we went again. I could not believe the rows and rows of condos. It was not at all the same. So commercial.

I guess if you could find a place that was not commercial it would still be grand.

The water there is warm. Not like our beaches here. The sand is much whiter, too. Just so different and wonderful. I have such fond memories of that childhood visit.

I am living my life with my highschool sweetheart. We married at age 18. Been married almost 36 years. The first ones were so hard. Sometimes so awful. We nearly gave up, but God promised me if I would hold on that he would change my husband. That in the years ahead I would have a really happy marriage. I can say that God has been faithful to fulfill his promise ! So, I am living with a man that loves and adores me, too. Can't afford the maid and all that, but he would if he could. He will give me anything he can afford to if I want it.

Thank God for His hand in the lives of these men ! I know I feel blessed.

Thank you so much for the precious story !!! I truly enjoyed it.

After reading over my post, I need to clarify...the diamonds and maids are a plus but just the fact that he would love her and care for her is such a huge thing. I don't know that she has ever had anyone care 2 cents about what was on her mind or her thoughts. They sit and talk for hours and hours. By all accounts my FIL was a good man, I just don't think he held her in high esteem...kind of like she was overlooked.

I just didn't want anyone to think i was being superficial.

Awww....what a sweet story. I can tell how thrilled you are for them from your post.

Wishing them all the best--and hope you have a fine time visiting your new family.

(psst...you didn't sound superficial.....not to worry!!!)

That is always so sweet to see a couple so happy in their twilight years.It brings such comfort knowing they have someone who truly cares for them and gives them so much affection and company. I am so happy for your MIL!

My grandma is 90 and a few years ago she met a gentelman at the assisted living place where she lives and they go out dancing and on cruises and do everything together. They are the sweetest couple ever and he treats her like a queen as well. We all would be blessed to have half that happiness in our golden years. It makes my heart so much easier knowing they aren't lonely anymore (both are widowed).

Archived