MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Our babysitter is on the way to the doctor....

Jori

I just talked to the mom of the girls who babysit the kids. They dropped off the oldest at Purdue yesterday. Today, the youngest (sophmore in H.S.) woke up with a stiff neck and then passed out later this morning. She hasn't been feeling well for a week. It gets better....she is a soccer player so she has been at school with loads of other athletes for the past month and a half. They had a few confirmed cases of swine at the end of the school year, I don't want to know what it is.

And I was worried about finding a safe daycare setting for the kids. :huh:

Stiff neck is one of the signs of Spinal Meningitis, isn't it? And it's also a big concern in teenagers and groups of close students.

The swelling associated with meningitis often triggers the "hallmark" symptoms of this condition, including headache, fever and a stiff neck.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meningitis/DS00118

SYMPTOMS:

By Mayo Clinic staff

It's easy to mistake the early signs and symptoms of meningitis for the flu (influenza). Meningitis symptoms may develop over a period of one or two days and typically include:

■A high fever

■Severe headache

■Vomiting or nausea with headache

■Confusion, or difficulty concentrating — in the very young, this may appear as inability to maintain eye contact

■Seizures

■Sleepiness or difficulty waking up

■Stiff neck

■Sensitivity to light

■Lack of interest in drinking and eating

■Skin rash in some cases, such as in viral or meningococcal meningitis

Earlier signs and symptoms that may suggest a serious infection, although not necessarily meningitis, include:

■Leg pain

■Ice-cold hands and feet

■Abnormally pale skin tone

Signs in newborns

Newborns and young infants may not have the classic signs and symptoms of headache and stiff neck. Instead, signs and symptoms of meningitis in this age group may include:

■Constant crying

■Excessive sleepiness or irritability

■Poor feeding

■A bulge in the soft spot on top of a baby's head (fontanel)

■Stiffness in the baby's body and neck

Infants with meningitis may be difficult to comfort, and may even cry harder when picked up.

If you or your child has bacterial meningitis, delaying treatment increases the risk of permanent brain damage. In addition, bacterial meningitis can prove fatal in a matter of days. Seek medical care right away if you or anyone in your family has any signs or symptoms.

When to see a doctor

If you or someone in your family has signs or symptoms of meningitis — such as fever, severe headache, confusion, vomiting and stiff neck — seek medical care right away. There's no way to know what kind of meningitis you or your child has without seeing your doctor and undergoing testing.

Viral meningitis may improve without treatment in a few days, but bacterial meningitis is serious and can come on very quickly. If you or your child has bacterial meningitis, the sooner the treatment begins, the better the chances of a recovery without serious complications.

Also talk to your doctor if a family member or someone you work with has meningitis. You may need to take medications to prevent getting sick.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meningiti...ECTION=symptoms

She'd better make *sure* the older sister is checked out *RIGHT AWAY*! And have your children been in the house recently, too? Watch for signs or have them checked!

Oh dear, doesn't sound innocent. Please keep us posted.

That is the first thing her BIL and I said when she told us. I think she was here for 30 minutes one day last week so I could run to the store. But with my grandma passing away (it was a good thing, ultimately), my BIL home on leave, and trying to catch up on canning and freezing, I couldn't tell you what we did at all last week.

I'm waiting to see what they heard and I'll keep everyone posted. Wouldn't that be the kick in the pants - Meningtis hits along with the swine... :o

Thanks for the concern. I have a lil' DD that thinks she should go potty outside (LOL).

Gotta run!

Jori

Archived