MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prickle

Prepping Conundrum . . .

. . . or something.

Eat what you store and store what you eat. I'm doing this and in doing this it brought up a question for me. Should you overstock on some things that you might come to rely on more heavily if SHTF than you would normally?

For example, the other day peanut butter was on sale 4 jars for $5.00. So I got 4 jars. We like peanut butter, we eat peanut butter...just not that often. I already had an unopened jar in the fridge on top of it.

Those 5 jars are probably a years worth of peanut butter for us under normal conditions (although I did use one whole jar to make these - Hollywood Squares - but I digress). In a SHTF situation we may want to use PB more often, if we're expending more calories we may eat more meals that need to be calorie dense. . . etc. PB is a classic survival food.

So I'm thinking I could easily double or triple that amount but would it end up wasted in a year or two if nothing horrible happens and we don't eat it up fast enough? But on the other hand in a emergency double or triple that amount may not be enough...

Another food would be beans, we eat beans, usually during the winter but not that often and now I have more beans than I've ever had. I plan to try to incorporate more beans into our diet but not until it cools off...100+ degrees just isn't bean weather... :mellow:

Is there really a question in there or am I just babbling? lol

eta: added some thoughts.

Edited by Prickle

I know exactly what you mean!

We don't use powdered milk, but I've stocked some anyway in case. I won't go to any effort to use it if we don't need to, since it really isn't good for you, but I will be glad for it if times got really bad and I couldn't get fresh.

Maybe I could donate it to someone as the exp. date draws near.

I went through this same thought pattern about a year ago I think it was. Here was my conclusion.

I had to start EATING what I was storing, or I'd never be able to properly rotate. I failed miserable at rotating my stuff from Y2K and lost much of it.

For a long time I tried to STORE WHAT WE EAT. But, that just didn't work as well for me. I had to adjust what we were eating and it made my prepping so much simpler.

We did this whole thread on STORE WHAT YOU EAT vs EAT WHAT YOU STORE - I'll try to find it and link it here.

Here's an option on the Peanut Butter(which doesn't store long term btw) you may want to look into Peanut Butter Powder which has a very long shelf life.

Now, we eat Oatmeal at least three times a week, same with dried beans, same with rice, etc... My goal is to further simplify my preps. But, when I first started I did what all newbies should do. I started buying more of what I was already buying.

For instance, I bought lots and lots of Jars of Prego Spaghetti Sauce. Now, I have a small supply of those and have to make sure I rotate them because I don't eat that way any more. Now, I make my own sauce out of the #10 cans of Crushed Tomatoes from Sam's (saving gobs of money) and I've got cases of the #10 cans now instead. WHICH is an ingredient for MANY things I make...like Salsa.

I guess what I mean is it has been a progression, now I'm storing the INGREDIENTS and using them on a regular basis. Make sense?

I think learning to rotate effectively has to be one of the hardest aspects of preparations there is. In a really bad situation, you'd need to eat rice, beans, etc to make things go farther. But DH is struggling to lose weight (I need to drop some as well) and is doing the low carb diet. In fact, he was chosen to do a new diet by the Eads' (hubby wife doctors) so if he can shake this cough and cold, he'll be doing their middle age 'lose your gut' diet and reporting back to them. We just don't eat a lot of carbs lately and so rotating such things is hard - the whole issue makes me nuts.

I have to say that I do share your frustration. This was one of the reasons I have to say, that I really didn't want to store much food - at first. Then I realized, like Stephanie said, the key is to eat what you store. If you're not ever going to eat spam, don't stock cases of it.

I have found that storing sugar, flour, water, yeast, salt, spices, pasta, etc. invaluable! I also have a decent sized home canning pantry and am so grateful for the diversity there.

The past year, I've really paid attention to what we eat out of home storage. I've also added spices, some good flu preps, and lots of recipies. Also, when we've been working hard around the house, I've noticed what we eat and that we eat more of it...so I've adjusted things accordingly. I've also added a few odd ball things like water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, etc. to storage for interest in casseroles, etc.

Yes, I do store a few cans of spam, but I figure, there are people who really like the stuff and at some point, it will be worth its weight in gold for a cashless society.

You have to make it work for you. We have a really small house and have been forced to take a long, hard look at what we store so it's purpose-driven, not random gathering. I hope this helps.

:bighug2:

Edited by Crazy4Canning

Thank you all :grouphug:

I think the shift from "store what you eat" to "eat what you store" makes a lot of sense. It seems so obvious now...if it was a snake it woulda bit me, as my gramma would have said.

I had already instituted "storage night" at least once a week for dinner so I can get used to cooking strictly from storage foods and we both can get used to meals prepared that way.

I do most of my cooking from scratch anyway so I keep ingredients on hand but I see now I need to expand my idea of what an ingredient is. . . like the peanut butter powder mentioned above.

I tried to find the swye vs ewys thread but couldn't find it, if anyone has a link I'd be most appreciative.

during jungle survival training in the late 80s, I found a can of C-ration peanut butter that had been buried since the early 70s. It tasted fine (can was in-tact). It was "real" peanut butter, not the hydrogenated stuff. Just for kicks, I took some pocket lint and made a wick to put in the separated oil and it worked as a candle, just as some book I read once said it would.

I wonder sometimes just what the "expiration date" means. Is it a plot to get you to throw it out and buy more? Is it safe, but may have lost some of its flavor? I watched a gallon of milk once and at midnight on the expiration date I was expecting it to start curdling before my eyes . .. it didn't. I suspect a lot of food is safe far past the listed expiration date. I've been eating canned tomatoes that "expired" back in 2004 - no prob.

Anyway, I found a lot of stuff I don't usually use can be put in the chili or spaghetti sauce. Powdered milk? Add it to a cream sauce.

I have started buying smaller cans - even though its more cost effective to buy the large can - it is easier to rotate the small ones, easier to barter with them, and they don't go bad in a day with no refrigeration as uneaten large cans will.

A while back Wormguy got a BUNCH of Peanut Butter and asked about shelf life on it...so we all started searching. I was surprised, assuming it would be considered a long term storage. I believe that it had to do with the oils turning rancid??

I found this info....and says that rancid means bad taste, but not harmful??

http://www.slashfood.com/tag/shelf-life/

Thank you.

lol your first post in that thread ...deja vu...

Edited by Prickle

We use rather a lot of it. I buy it at the salvage store, already at the sellby/use by date. Can't pass up 79c for a 16 oz jar of Adam's natural! I've not had too much go bad, even in my hot, unairconditioned kitchen. I do try to rotate the dates.

Rancid PB, mixed with a little borax is a good fire ant bait.

A solution to the peanut butter dilemma (which I shared) Store peanut butter in jars for the short term. Store powdered peanut butter in #10 cans for the long term.

A good way to use up peanut butter is to make PB cookies and distribute them among appreciative neighbors, kids, etc.