MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...

Have you considered what you'd do in an earthquake if you RARELY have them??? :huh:

Teach your children that these things DO happen, and how to find a safe place. You sure don't want them hiding under a bed...

~~~~~~~~

(South Carolina)

Earthquake measured at 3.2 on Richter scale shakes Dorchester

By Schuyler Kropf

Originally published 08:56 a.m., August 29, 2009

Residents of Dorchester County were jolted this morning by an earthquake.

The quake measured 3.2 on the Richter scale.

Erin Beutel, associate professor of geology at the College of Charleston and director of the S.C. Earthquake Education and Preparedness Program, said the quake is considered mild and in line with the hiccups routinely seen in the Summerville area.

She compared it to nothing greater than the jolt you may feel of a train going by a house. She expected damage to be minimal, if at all.

"We have a couple to several of these a year," she said, adding she does not expect this to be a signal of anything stronger to come.

But she did say this bump could be a reason for the public to understand that earthquake preparedness should be something everyone should at least plan for.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/au...chester-county/

~~~~~~~~~

(Oklahoma)

More earthquakes reported in central Oklahoma

By Robert Medley Staff Writer

Published: August 28, 2009

More rumblings underground, all in the same location, have been reported as earthquakes by the Oklahoma Geological Survey in Norman, bringing the total to 9 separate earthquakes in the last 24 hours in the state, the U.S. Geological Survey reports today.

All but one of the earthquakes was reported in eastern Oklahoma County, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The other quake one was reported northeast of Ada early Thursday.

The largest earthquake was registered as 3.7 magnitude on the Richter scale Thursday night in Jones.

No damages have been reported.

The last quake in the eastern Oklahoma County area was recorded at 10:30 p.m. Thursday on the north and northeast side of Jones, reading 2.4 magnitude on the Richter scale.

In the same location at 10:15 p.m. on the north and northeast side of Jones, an earthquake reading 2.3 magnitude on the Richter scale, according to the survey.

The survey reports the largest was at 9:09 p.m. Thursday, a 3.7 magnitude earthquake was felt in the same area.

Anyone who felt the quake can fill out a report online at the Oklahoma Geological Survey's Web site, www.okgeosurvey1.gov, or the U.S. Geological Survey's Web site, www.earthquake.usgs.gov.

Editor's note: The story originally reported a total of 10 earthquakes in Oklahoma. Only 9 have been recorded.

http://newsok.com/more-earthquakes-reporte...eadlines_widget

I'm in Tenn. and we seem to have a very teeny tiny one every couple of years. It usually feels like what you would expect to feel if someone hit your house with their car or one year it felt like suddenly the whole house dropped down about two inches. If we had anything bigger than that, I don't think people here would be ready for it.

I've been studying the New Madrid and incorporating that into my new Fireside story. I've realized from that research, I had no idea how to deal with an earthquake or what it would involve. And this is a a real possibility that could actually occur at any time...or in the next decade. :huh:

The New Madrid fault "went off" in stages from about November of 1811 to about February of 1812. It made the Mississippi River run backwards for a time, changed its course a bit, rang church bells in Boston, and created Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. I think the USGS gave it an 8 on the Richter scale, making it a "great earthquake" ("major" is 7+, "great" is 8+). Geologists believe it has about a 200 year cycle, so it's due anytime now, with potentially catastrophic conseqences. Click on USGS site for tracking earthquakes.

My DM was watching the Nashville news last night (Friday) and they had a report on the fault and mentioned that scientists are worried about it. I recall reading a post here on Mrs S not too long ago that FEMA has assigned the major portion of its catastrophe budget to a New Madrid 'event'.

New Madrid has the potential to be on par with the 1964 Alaska eq which was 9+ on the Richter. There are 200+ bridges over the Mississippi River and distribution of food, supplies, materials, etc would be cut off indefinitely. Scientists believe that cities from Little Rock to Nashville could be severely impacted by such a quake.

There's good news and bad news with all this recent activity: the good news is that the earth could be shifting gently and releasing pressure. The bad news is that this could be warnings of an impending major shift. I'm guessing science favors the second theory. :faint3:

Quakes in Oklahoma seem very odd. If you find Interstate 35 (Texas - runs through San Antonio) it's just on the east border of the Balcones Fault. I don't know how far north that fault runs, but there are little eqs along that corridor through Pearsall and Pleasanton Texas, just south of San Antonio. I remember reading that San Antonio in particular and Texas in general were one of the essentially 'earthquake free' places on earth. The Balcones Fault hasn't been active in 15 million years.

I don't think anyone outside of California and Alaska has a clue about dealing with a quake. Schools and other public venues don't have any plans in place to evacuate or shelter in place at all.

Edited by The MacKinnon

www.earthquake.usgs.gov is a site that shows earthquakes all over the world in the last hour, day and week. TN has earthquakes every week (at least for the last few months that I have been watching). They are small but they are there.

I lived my first 30 years in Los Angeles and have been thru many. First of all, unless you are on top of the epicenter, you just get shook around. The bad thing about them is there is nothing you can do to prepare. They are usually over before you realize what is happening and figure out what to do.

I grew up in CA as well. I wasn't aware there were quakes in other parts of the states other than Alaska.

Like ayleeann said, there is no way to prepare for them. You just live with them. And their results. Learning about the results is what is important. Gas lines, fires, fallen lines and trees, aftershocks...that kind of stuff. It doesn't hurt to know where the safest place to run to is, but like has already been mentioned, it's usually over before you get your head together to do something.

We school children were taught to drop under our desk and had many many drills. So we do have the gut instinct to get under any table in an earthquake, whether it be in school, at home, in a restaurant. I still have that instinct. Just talking about this subject had me checking the space under my desk to see how many kids could fit under there iwth me if we started shaking in the next couple seconds.

Of course, my kids have not been trained and drilled, so the quake would probably be over before they could obey my orders to "Get under!"