MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Iowa's quarantine law

Campy

I do not like where all this is going - first Mass, now Iowa.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/phlp/docs/Facility%20...n%204-30-09.pdf

BEFORE THE IOWA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH

DIRECTED TO: ) [insert case #]

[insert full name and address of subject of order]

FACILITY QUARANTINE ORDER

The Iowa Department of Public Health (Department) has determined that you have had contact with a person with Novel Influenza A H1N1. Novel Influenza A H1N1 is a disease which is spread from person to person and is associated fever (greater than 100.0 F), cough, sore throat, rhinorrhea (runny nose), nasal congestion, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Novel Influenza A H1N1 presents a risk of serious harm to public health and if it spreads in the community severe public health consequences may result.

The Department has determined that it is necessary to quarantine your movement to a specific facility to prevent further spread of this disease. The Department has determined that quarantine in your home and other less restrictive alternatives are not acceptable because [insert the reason home quarantine is not acceptable, the person violated a previously issued home quarantine order, the person does not have an appropriate home setting conducive to home quarantine, etc.] The Department is therefore ordering you to comply with the following provisions during the entire period of quarantine:

1. Terms of confinement. You are ordered to remain at the quarantine facility, _____________________ [insert name and address of facility], from ___________ to ____________ [insert dates of quarantine].

2. Requirements during confinement. During the period of quarantine:

a. You must not leave the quarantine facility at any time unless you have received prior written authorization from the Department to do so.

b. You must not come into contact with anyone except the following persons:

(i) other persons who are also under similar quarantine order at the quarantine facility;

(ii) authorized healthcare providers and other staff at the quarantine facility;

(iii) authorized Department staff or other persons acting on behalf of the Department; and

(iv) such other persons as are authorized by the Department.

c. Your daily needs, including food, shelter, and medical care, will be provided for you during the period of quarantine at the quarantine facility. You should bring clothing, toiletries, and other personal items with you to the quarantine facility. You will have limited access to a telephone at the quarantine facility. You may bring your cell phone with you should you desire to have greater access to a means of communication. 5/1/2009

d. You should inform your employer that you are under quarantine order and are not authorized to physically come to the work

place, although you may work from the facility via electronic or other means if appropriate. You should be aware that Iowa law prohibits an employer from firing, demoting, or otherwise discriminating against an employee due to the compliance of an employee with a quarantine order issued by the Department. (Iowa Code section 139A.13A).

3. Information about Novel Influenza A H1N1. You should review the information contained at Attachment A for information about Novel Influenza A H1N1. You should refer to information provided at the quarantine facility to address specific concerns and questions you have about Novel Influenza A H1N1. In order to find out more information about Novel Influenza A H1N1 and its symptoms and spread, you may also access the Department’s web-page at www.idph.state.ia.us. If you do not have access to the internet from the quarantine facility, you may contact the Department at 1-800-362-2736.

4. Legal authority. This order is issued pursuant to the legal authority contained at Iowa Code chapters 135, 139A and 641 Iowa Administrative Code chapter 1, a copy of which is labeled Attachment B and is attached to this order for your review. The Department shall comply with the principles for quarantine contained in subrule 1.9(3) of this attachment when issuing and implementing this order.

5. Ensuring compliance. In order to ensure that you strictly comply with this Quarantine Order the Department or persons authorized by the Department may regularly inspect the quarantine facility.

6. Violations of order. If you fail to comply with this Quarantine Order you may be ordered to be quarantined in a more restrictive facility. In addition, failure to comply with this order is a simple misdemeanor for which you may be arrested, fined, and imprisoned.

7. Your rights B appeal rights. While under quarantine you have the rights as described in subrule 1.9(8) of Attachment B. In addition, you have the right to appeal this order pursuant to subrule 1.9(7) of Attachment B.

_____________________________ ____________________________________ ___________ DIRECTOR or MEDICAL DIRECTOR DATE IOWA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH Lucas State Office Building Des Moines, IA 50319 Attachments to this Order: Attachment A -- Facts About Novel Influenza A H1N1 5/1/2009

Attachment B -- 641 Iowa Administrative Code chapter 1

Hmm. This was done in Europe before the nightly 'transports'. Oh, you're sick, report to Quarantine... a.k.a. Report for 'Cleansing'. I don't like this AT ALL.

The whole thing just reeks of BOGUS! event status. 35,000 people a year die of plain ol' flu and less than 1,000 world wide have died of swine flu (I don't trust any 'cause of death' in China or elsewhere) maybe. :animal0017:

This is sooo totally FREAKING me out!! So what if they want to take your child or your children...do you go with them?? Are families kept together???

Is this a HOAX? Is this for real??

How would they know you were exposed? It would be better NOT to go to the Dr. Just take care of your own at home.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/phlp/H1N1flu.asp

This link is directly to the CDC. If you will scroll half way down the page you will see what states have come up with some sort of Quarantine plan. It is listed under the heading State Law and Regulations.

North Carolina now has a plan for Quarantine but it is not as frightening to me as Iowa's. I could be reading it wrong but it looks as if in NC you would be able to stay in your home instead of going to a "facility".

'ANewMe' date='Aug 29 2009, 11:06 PM' post='311112']

This is sooo totally FREAKING me out!! So what if they want to take your child or your children...do you go with them?? Are families kept together???

Is this a HOAX? Is this for real??

How would they know you were exposed? It would be better NOT to go to the Dr. Just take care of your own at home.

First of all, I do not think this is a hoax.

IN MY OPINION. this is a "MANUFACTURED" flu.

The US Air Force, in 2005, put out a "scenario" in which 30,000,000 people would die from the flu in 2009. (Co-incidence ?)

In 2007 Baxter and another virus manufacturer "patented" a flu virus for this exact same flu (That is "interesting since it normally takes about one year to manufacture a vaccine and no one knew what this virus contained until this year. Co-incidence ?)

The Baxter vaccine is documented as containing: Thermisol (spelling ?) as a preservative (this is derived from mercury and several times more toxic), formaldehyde, and squalene as an "adjuvent" (adjuvents are used to allow more doses from a given amount). Squalene was ILLEGALLY used in the anthrax vaccine given to our servicemen in the Gulf War. Approximately 5 - 6 years later, about 60% of the recipients had developed arthritus, rheumatoid arthritus, MS, Lupus, asthma and/or several other illnesses. Squalene is also documented as causing a person's auto immune system to go "beserk" when it is injected into the body. The symptoms typically do not show up for several years.

Courtesy of our government, the flu manufacturers are now NOT LIABLE for any illnesses or injury or deaths caused by the vaccines.

As for taking the children, if your child is exhibiting symptoms of the flu (temperature, coughing, etc.) KEEP THE CHILD HOME - DO NOT SEND THE CHILD TO SCHOOL !! The majority of DOCUMENTED swine flu cases have reported mild symptoms, no worse than the regular flu. The reported big danger with this flu is if the person has any respiratory problems as this flu appears to target the respiratory system.

IN MY OPINION, the government would be at a severe risk of an armed rebellion if they started to "kidnap" children, no matter what the reason for it.

IN MY OPINION, a lot of the "information" coming out on this flu and what the governments will or will not do are "scare tactics" aimed at getting people to take the flu shots (yes plural). As for me, when something is promoted (pushed) THAT HARD, I stay away from it. In my experience, the government is not there to help the people.

Thanks Campy...and I agree with you on all. I do not plan to take the shot nor will my children, however, I know so many who will because they do not have information that is needed to make an informed decision.

As for the Iowa thing being a hoax....now that I see that it's on the CDC website...I guess it is for real.

In my district, notices are posted and info has gone home with kids:

1. Don't come to school if you're running 100+ fever.

2. Stay home til you've been fever free 24 hours without using fever reducers.

3. Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands afterward (and often).

No doctor's note needed for 3 to 5 days absences (over 5, the doctor's notes gets a few day's w/o charge to kid's limit). So it seems pretty common sense so far. However, the concern is if the Feds get into the act (and they will). DH and I are mulling our response if vaccination becomes 'mandatory' for staff. I have never taken a flu shot and don't intend to start now.

:huh: Let's continue to be watchful and wary. Evaulating, questioning and keeping ourselves informed. But without living in fear of our children being taken away. My focus will remain on being prepared with enough supplies in the home should the need to hunker down arise. I will certainly keep mine home whether they are the one sick or if there are large numbers of flu being reported in other students! Seasonal or otherwise. I've heard of some deliberately hosting "flu parties" to gain immunity. Unless those parents can guarantee no complications this sounds foolish. A few years ago our community lost a healthy 17 year old boy to influenza. He developed pneumonia and died despite treatment.

Back to the form. Looks like it was developed in May right ater H1N1 was first identified, and in the event things became much worse than they actually turned out to be. So far anyway. I suspect the intent was for the rare case of total disregard in limiting the spread of serious illness to others -Typhoid Mary scenerio? The full language adds credence to this theory by indicating previous efforts of voluntary home isolation failed

quarantine in your home and other less restrictive alternatives are not acceptable because [insert the reason home quarantine is not acceptable, the person violated a previously issued home quarantine order, the person does not have an appropriate home setting conducive to home quarantine, etc.

Right now the CDC recommendations are to stay home for 24 hours after last symptom. Except health care workers are still under the 7 day social distancing guidelines which makes no sense to me. Also only if you are exhibiting systoms. If any of the revised guidelines call for mere contacts to stay home I've not seen them. Will keep looking.

Archived