MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brand New RN

jeanettecentaur

Sorry for the double post...I thought I might get a better response in this forum... :wub:

Hi everyone! Popping my head in again...I'm 6 weeks from graduating with my ADN for Registered Nursing, and about to take NCLEX state boards...

Been so busy with school, that I need my momma to fill me in on what is happening of consequence on Mrs. Survival, and oh boy it sounds like a lot! Mom has doubled her prepping efforts since mine have been so puny with school taking over my entire world. It's even hard to "fit" church in, and I have to listen to sermon online sometimes. :amen:

So here is the blessing and the dilemma:

I am 37 years old, Unmarried, no kids, 1 dachshund, no lease, no car payments, no house payments or anything to hold me here in Austin, TX. Right now Austin is SATURATED with brand new RNs. Yes, there IS a Nursing Shortage, but since the economy tanked all the elder nurses that were considering retirement have found that they need to work a few more years, and the hospitals have had major budget cuts. Therefore, very few New Grads are being hired. It's a shame too, because just 2 semesters ago we could get jobs over a phone interview because they were so desperate for help...they were even offering big-time sign on bonuses and relocation packages...ALL GONE!

The last time I bought land it took me 2 years to find a piece that fit all my survival qualifications...and I gave that up in the divorce. So I am about to be absolutely FREE w/ a Brand Spanking New RN license...and what I would really like to know is this:

1. As an RN with a Survivalist mentality, why do you love working in your town?

2. Where and What Size is your town?

3. Why do you love your hospital?

4. What Department/Specialty do you work in?

4. Are you hiring New Grads??? :pray:

I have kept this questionnaire simple, because I could go on and on about my idea of "perfect town in SomewhereNew, America", but I don't want to influence anyone's responses, and I am also very open to new possibilities.

If any of your info is too personal, please feel free to message me. I have been praying hard about this and if you are so compelled, your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Sincerely,

JC

congratulationss.gif

I take it weather won't affect your decision much, since you've lived "up north"? Are you looking to buy a place after you know if you like the area... meaning you want semi-rural areas available, too?

Sending you a link to our area by PM... there's a new hospital opening by the first of the year, and other great ones already running.

multistars.gif

• 1 month later...

I have been an RN for 9 years and live in Canada. I did some travel nursing and was employed in PA and VA. What department and where you live is an individual thing. My suggestion is pick a few states that appeal to you. Then go to a few nursing job fairs. As a RN you can go anywhere, including other countries.

The most important thing....way to go!

bd.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you have no fixed abode this would be a perfect time to sign on with one of the agencies that fills temporary slots in different areas. The pay is usually better and it gives you a chance to check out different locations. I did some traveling years ago and it wasn't bad. Can't help with location. I have been disabled a good many years so haven't worked. Last place I did work was in Austin though.

Archived