MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Boiled Peanuts...

Rita

My family just loves boiled peanuts. I have the chance to get a bushel of green peanuts for $15 but they have to be boiled within a day or so. How would I can these? Would I boil and season them first and then can them?

Thanks

Rita

Hey Rita, :wave:

:canning: YOU MUST PRESSURE CAN THESE!!!

My home is Charleston, SC and I grew up with my grandmama,mama and aunts all canning boiled peanut to sell and give to friends. Here is the recipe. ENJOY!!!!

Prepare peanuts and brine to same as you do for boiling for immediate use. Pack peanuts into jars to within one-half inch of the top, using equal weights of peanuts and hot brine (212 F). Partically submerge containers in upright positions in boiling water for ten minutes. Seal while hot and process 45 minutes at ten pounds pressure. Cool containers in water, label, and store in away from heat.

ENJOY!!!!

cleanheart

That is different that the recommended guidelines I have. The processing time is right, but I have never heard of putting the jars in the canner for the 10 min. then sealing them.

Also, never cool jars in the water in the canner. Foods will start to grow a thermal loving bacteria. You need to remove them from the canner 10 min. after the processing time. You let the pressure drop naturally, remove the weight. Set the timer for another 10 min. then open the lid and immediately remove the jars to cool and seal.

It depends upon what kind of canner you have as well as your altitude as to what pressure to use. A dial gauge always uses at least 11 lb. pressure, that is at 1000 ft. or under. A weighted gauge is 10 lb.

How old are your guidelines ?

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_nuts/green_pnuts.html

Hot Pack – Select fully mature, green peanuts, clean and wash. Soak in fresh water for one hour. Discard water, cover with fresh water and soak for another hour. Repeat this soaking process one more time, for a total soaking time of three hours, using fresh water each time. Then parboil the peanuts for 10 minutes in fresh water and drain.

Pack the hot peanuts into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Fill jar to ½ inch from the top with boiling brine (1 cup salt per gallon of water). Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids.

Archived