MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

40 twelve oz. , 7 eight oz. peach jam.....16 twelve oz., 1 eight oz. blackberry jelly.....13 pints Violet's Sweet Chunks.....We're tired. Another 6 quarts of tame berries, washed and in the fridge, ready to go in the steam juicer tomorrow. Bought 10 cases of twelve oz. jars, 10 cases of pint jars today and a case of pectin...They'll be gone in a few days. I have to admit...We are NOT having fun!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you mind sharing the recpire for the chocolate raspberry spread. I just did a search on the sure jell sight and it's not there but they did have some other yummy looking recipes.

Also, tame blackberries? Is that what is growning in my yard instead of what it in the woods?

9 1/2pints of Chocolate Raspberry Spread- a Sure Jell recipe I've made for about 5 years and give as a special gift. Also 8 1/2pints of raspberry jam.

Would you mind sharing the recpire for the chocolate raspberry spread. I just did a search on the sure jell sight and it's not there but they did have some other yummy looking recipes.

Also, tame blackberries? Is that what is growning in my yard instead of what it in the woods?

9 1/2pints of Chocolate Raspberry Spread- a Sure Jell recipe I've made for about 5 years and give as a special gift. Also 8 1/2pints of raspberry jam.

Tame are usually blackberries you plant, the others are just growing wild.

I found the recipe by searching on Google. Anytime you want to find something just type in Google or Dogpile, etc. and hit search....

Chocolate Raspberry Spread

5 cups prepared fruit (buy about 2 quarts fully ripe red raspberries)

1 box powdered fruit pectin

5 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/2 tsp butter (optional)

7 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Bring boiling water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

Crush raspberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. (Press half of the pulp through a sieve to remove some of the seeds, if desired.) Measure exactly 5 cups prepared fruit into 6 or 8 quart saucepot.

Stir pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add chocolate; mix well. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Adjust time according to your altitude.

Makes: About 10 half pints

Tame blackberries are thorn-less and very large. I am juicing them and making jelly and syrup, since the seeds are large and hard. I am getting lots of juice out of them though, and it makes such pretty jelly and syrup.

Jori and Violet, That is the same Chocolate-Raspberry spread recipe I use. Everyone I've given it to always wants more. It is really good warmed up then poured over ice cream, angel food cake and even cheese cake. I usually strain out about 3/4 of the seeds, so it takes a bit more berries to get the 5 cups needed for the recipe..............pigzzilla

ps..Violet, Thanks for posting it for Jori...pigz

Piggzilla! Would you share the recipe for Firecracker Carrots please? Or a link to it? Thank you!

Ok Here ya go:

Firecracker Carrots

*1 package Mrs Wages Sweet Pickle Mix (I have lots of Mrs W mixes but no sweet pickle--but I have a pack of Ball Sweet and used that)

follow directions on pickle mix for vinegar and sugar and heating up

*Baby carrots...I bought a 5lb bag for about $4 at WinCo

*1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes per jar....I used wide mouth pints

pack carrots in jars and add the pickle mix

I processed in BWB 25 minutes.

The Mrs Wages mixes usually say to let sit at least a week, but the Ball mix said 6 weeks for optimum flavor. #2 son wanted to open and taste as soon as I took them from the canner!

I got this recipe from another canning site, but forgot to write down which one and the person posting it (I think it was a man)

pigzzilla

I found where I got the recipe... posted by 'medic' on 7-17-08 in the canning forum at Backwoods

several years ago I found Mrs S thru Backwoods while looking for a recipe!

I went to work and wifey went tomato shopping. She came home with 175 pounds (7 boxes) of pretty nice ones. We did 2 boxes and got 11 quarts of juice. We will do another 2 tomorrow before I go to work and I will finish them up Monday.

:wormie2:

John

Wormie, that is a lot of tomatoes ! Wish we had fresh ones here, but will be awhile yet. Things are so late due to all the rain we had.

Glad you love my pickles, rabbit. Even people who say they hate pickles seem to love these.

Have all the fixin's for salsa and my MIL just called to have everyone over for dinner since youngest BIL head back to base Tuesday. So salsa fixin's are in the fridge and so will the pizza dough and fixin's :rolleyes: Picked up a few pounds of green beans for the freezer but not sure if they will make it between DD and me. :whistling:

Have all the fixin's for salsa and my MIL just called to have everyone over for dinner since youngest BIL head back to base Tuesday. So salsa fixin's are in the fridge and so will the pizza dough and fixin's :rolleyes: Picked up a few pounds of green beans for the freezer but not sure if they will make it between DD and me. :whistling:

17 twelve oz., 1 eight oz. blackberry jelly. The steam juicer is going strong, with another 5 quarts of berries. I want to take a case of jelly to my Mennonite friend tomorrow. She has a 6 week old baby and 8 other children, so no picking for her this summer.

Archived