MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About the firecracker carrots-do you just serve them as you do pickles? I printed off your recipe and am sure I will like them as I love carrots.

Indy gal, I haven't opened them yet, but I would serve as a pickle. Maybe on a 'relish'tray. They will be sweet from the pickle mix and some heat or spice from the pepper flakes. ....pigz

I recently bought 3 #10cans of enchalada sauce for only $2.50 each. I 'recanned' them and got 10 quarts and 1 pint of sauce. Brought the sauce to a simmer and poured into hot jars and processed for 20 minutes in BWB.

Also canned 8 pints of sweet relish.

Soon I'm gonna be up to my ears in Roma tomatoes. My tomato plants are loaded. Of my 18 tomato plants 12 are Romas. I think I will make more stewed tomatoes this year, and maybe catsup again..........pigz

The fruit cocktail looks nice. I never think to do that.

Pigz, I really don't feel that is safe to do, but I guess you are willing to take that risk. You have no idea what the ph of that is, even if it is safe to do in a bwb canner at all. Then, it usually has thickeners added to those cans of sauces.

It should be frozen. No commercial foods should be reprocessed like that.

12 pints of salsa. Broccoli needs to be harvested, cleaned and frozed. The tomatoes & blackberries that are ready need to be pulled, too. Might run and get a dozen ears of corn to freeze today. I'll be breaking in the dehydrator this weekend with blueberries. It's so hot here, I'm trying to can at night when it's a little cooler (unfortunately, the kids aren't into that schedule).

Blueberry day results--Pie filling --3 pints, 1 quart

Blueberry Marmalade--7-1/2 pints and 1 pint

Cinnamon Blueberry Jam--7 -1/2 pints and 1 pint

Enough for one day. I measured my kitchen space today-- 6' x 8' and includes dining table with 2 booths, fridge, oven with stove, sink, etc. all in that little space! Someday I want a real kitchen again! I could do so much more. Apparently this is ok for now though.

Archived