MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

6 pints and 4 half-pints of button mushrooms, plus a slop over of a 4 oz jar of stems & pieces. A couple of the jars were small whole ones but most were sliced. They were originally boxes and boxes of discounted mushrooms for fast sale and I grabbed most of them. I didn't really want to do pint jars just for me but I came up short on the half-pints, having forgotten about all the relishes I've been doing lately.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did 7 pints of green beans today, in my new "MiniMe" canner (All American 910). It just arrived Tuesday and I love it. I have its big brother the All American 925 and I love it, but for small loads it was too big.

Well, it is 3 o'clock in the morning and I still have one pressure cooker full of green beans left to cook. I have done tomatoes and beans today (yesterday) and will be starting pickles after church. When I get those done I will start in on salsa... I hope to be done canning/freezing and dehydrating fruit/veggies within three weeks. Then I'm going to have to start butchering animals and canning meat and broth. I am going to have to buy more jars. My fingers are itching to pick up my knitting needles. I'm also getting the "lets burn the woodstove feeling" that always comes in the Fall.

Took the day off to take the kids to the steam engine museum (2nd trip in 3 weeks) for the Steam Engine Show. Jake how is the ankle doing?

Thanks for asking Jori, it is doing pretty good just a little tender yet but not too bad. I managed to get another 27 quarts of dill pickles and 9 pints of pears out today. I used to cold pack my fruits because I thought it was easier but I didn't like it when the fruit would float up and the jars look like you should have put more in. Now I started hot packing my fruit, it is amazing how much more fruit fits in the jars. I think my wife was dissapointed though, she helped peal the pears and felt cheated when we only got 9 pints. I was happy that we used less jars and lids. It's kind of like the guy that ordered a pizza and the waiter asked him if he wanted it cut into 6 or 8 pieces. The guy said you better make it 6 I am not hungry enough to eat 8 pieces.

Took the day off to take the kids to the steam engine museum (2nd trip in 3 weeks) for the Steam Engine Show. Jake how is the ankle doing?

Thanks for asking Jori, it is doing pretty good just a little tender yet but not too bad. I managed to get another 27 quarts of dill pickles and 9 pints of pears out today. I used to cold pack my fruits because I thought it was easier but I didn't like it when the fruit would float up and the jars look like you should have put more in. Now I started hot packing my fruit, it is amazing how much more fruit fits in the jars. I think my wife was dissapointed though, she helped peal the pears and felt cheated when we only got 9 pints. I was happy that we used less jars and lids. It's kind of like the guy that ordered a pizza and the waiter asked him if he wanted it cut into 6 or 8 pieces. The guy said you better make it 6 I am not hungry enough to eat 8 pieces.

Well now, aren't I glad that I didn't can tomatoes last night and you provided me with that tidbit of information. I was just looking at the tomatoes I did earlier (and the space in them). I guess I'm going to be trying hot packing. Thanks!

Hey Everybody!! :wave:

Living here in AL, we have soooo much Kutzu on our property, and it's blooming, that I'm making Kutzu Blossom Jelly. It's the color of grape jelly and tastes like it as well. Also, we eat the tender leaves like spinach. It's very goood and it taste like green beans. Also I make baskets out of the vines, and paper out of the tough leaves, and make nice greeting cards out of it. Kutzu also makes a nice soap.

But today, I'm making Kutzu Blossom Jelly.

cleanheart

18 quarts of hand pealed, cored and cut chunky cinnamon applesauce and 14 quarts of tomato sauce. :canning: Still have another 5 gallon bucket of apples I need to do and more tomatoes will be ready in a few days. I'm hoping for a good last batch of green beans and then on to doing beef if we buy the half a cow. I have run out of quart jars so now I'm going to have to buy a bunch. Hope I can still get them they are going fast these days. I now know the true meaning of Labor Day it's really Canning Season in disguise they just gave us one more day to get it done before the help goes back to work!!! :beat_deadhorse: Work I say Work! I don't care how tired you are these tomatoes aren't going to can themselves!!! Sorry been up since 5 am and dreamed of apples in my sleep last night I'm a little slap happy. :wacko:

Oh, sure "snapshotmiki" I'll be glad to. Here it is:

KUTZU BLOSSOM JELLY

4 cups blossoms DO NOT DOUBLE RECIPE!! Everytime I've tried,it didn't turn out and I had syrup.

4 cups boiling water

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 pkg. pectin

5 cups sugar

4-6 half pints

1. Measure then wash blossoms in colander - gently.

2. Put blossoms in large bowl or 1/2 gal. pitcher.

3. Pour 4 cups of boiling water and refirgerate 8 hrs. or overnight.

4. Strain liquid and discard blossoms. Liquid will be grayish in color.

5. Pour liquid in a med. pot. Add lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. Stirring constantly.

6. Stir in sugar and return to a rolling boil for 1 min. If you add a 1/2 t. of butter it won't boil up so much.

7. Remove from heat and skim foam off.

8. Quickly por liquid into hot jars.

9. Process in boling bath for 5 mins.

I use scissors when gathering blossoms. They are hard to "pull" off the vine. When you add the lemon juice, the gray liquid turns a bright purple color. If the jelly doesn't thicken properly, you can still use it as syrup for pancakes.

Hope everything turns out good. ENJOY!!!

cleanheart

Hey, I just pulled out 1 of 3 turkeys I have in the freezer. So, on Weds. I'm going to cut it up and boil it with oinions, celery, garlic, and carrots. Then debone it and can it in quart jars for future use. I might half the meat and make turkey soup.

cleanheart

Cleanheart,

I see you learned that you cannot double jam recipes and have them gel. If you only process for 5 min. then you need to boil the jars for 10 min. before filling to sterilize the jars. If you will process for 10 min. instead, you can skip boiling the jars first. Makes sense to me. That is how I do it now.

Kudzu is something we don't have. Hear it can be a mess to deal with.

Good Morning Violet, :wave:

Thanks for your good tips and insight. I didn't include sterilizing the jars, I just took for granted that folks know to sterilize the jars before they put food in them. I don't boil my jars for sterilization. I put them in a 200 degree oven after washing them, first thing before I start cooking the food or jelly. They stay in the oven probably and hour or so until I am ready to pull one out to fill. I love this method my aunt showed me. I have no mess with the water and I know for sure the jars are sterile.

cleanheart

Archived