MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I processed 17 more pints of applesauce from the second round of bags of apples I was given. The bugs have spread through them pretty bad so I'm tossing the rest out for the chickens to enjoy. I just can't bear the thought of cutting them all up to only get about 1/4 of usable stuff. My time is better spent doing something else.

I just finished another 8 pints of tomatoes all from our or my in-laws garden and have at least another 8 pints to go. I might end up switching to quarts. Tomorrow is going to be a shopping day as I have my 1/2 gallons, 5 pints, and 4 half pint jars left. I'll pick up more peaches too to make peach-raspberry jam before the berries go bad.

Just finished pressure canning 22 quarts and 16 pint of stewed tomatoes with celery, onion, and green peppers. My 6 year old daughter is my apprentice lately. Anytime I am canning she is there to help. And she won't just watch she must be involved and helping. I hope this last thru the teenage years. LOL :24:

40 lbs of chicken thighs, 2 bags of carrots, 2 bags of celery, 1 10lb bag of onions, 5 cloves of garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper corns, fresh rosemary, fresh time, and 2 days of work =

13 quarts of chicken soup

13 pints of chicken meat

10 quarts chicken broth

8 pints of chicken broth

not bad for about $30 worth of materials!

DSC_1754cropped.jpg

So, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen with my dad.

We did just over 3 dozen pints of fruit cocktail. Some are flamingo pink from the marishino cherries...others are just right. I can't wait to try them. Never before have I wished a lid not to seal. :24:

We also mixed up two different batches of chow-chow relish for my parents' friends. My dad volunteered slave labor (hey, they're his friends!) and I will can it up tomorrow. It's supposed to make 4 pints each, but I think I'm going to get WAY more than that.

We had enough leftover veggies for really nice coleslaw! :) YUM

Dad got to use a pear corer and my mandoline slicer. He didn't nick anything, but he did poke a finger on the blade....

I don't think my kitchen floor will ever be the same. Right now, it's SHOES ONLY, no socks, for the floor's so bad, it will pull them off. :24:

After work, 4+ pints peach-rum conserve. It was supposed to be 2 pints. The recipe was 2 pints, and I didn't increase anything ( . . . well, except the rum-- but only by a little!) Dad joked that I oughta call the Pope and ask if multiplying the liquored-up conserve was anything like multiplying loaves and fishes.

Heh. tastes nice. Like rum, and fruit. :whistling::D

Recently canned pie peaches, peaches, peach jam, green beans, yellow beans, and tomato sauce, salsa, tomato juice.

I will be getting more tomatoes this week and it's apple picking time!

Wow...you all make me feel like a slacker! :o

I did get 18 quarts of tomatoes done yesterday. I do have a bushel of peppers to freeze, just need to prep them.

I do need to get another bushel of tomatoes but its almost apple picking time so Im not sure if I'll get another one or not. Since its only hubby and I eating it we might be ok with the 18 quarts.

36 quarts of plums and 15 quarts of pickled mixed vegetables and 4 more pints of pears.

Jake... How do you use your plums? Just eat them from the jar, or fix them in different dishes? We never had much use for plums when I was growing up.

And then this year I discovered "Bubble Gum" plums!!! :wub:

And I don't know how they would can, but I'd sure like to try!

Wow...you all make me feel like a slacker! :o

Slacker, NOTHING!!! :bouquet:

WAY TO GO!!! :cheer:

I like to do lots of tomato juice because I can do so much with it. I can't say I ever canned "too much"! ;)

7 pints of green beans. Had 8 but one didn't seal gonna eat it instead. I feel so blessed that our beans decided to come back on full tilt. I hope to get at least one more batch before frost hits. Be nice to get more, but we shall see. Glad to get any at all!

Cricket~ I LOVE my Roma mill. One of the best things I have ever bought to help with putting up tomatoes. Wow... such a time saver.

I have canned another 5 pints of salsa but already into one of them with the chips today. :happy0203: Also started some bucket sweet pickles from the last of the cukes.

I have also frozen many many tomatoes. They got ahead of me.

Archived