12- 1/2 pts peach jam+ 24 oz in the fridge

6- 1/2 pts peach butter

5- 24oz sliced peaches

7- qts peach slices

5- 1/2pts peach puree

2 -pts peach puree

11- pts turnips

7- qts grape juice.....

Tomorrow I'll have peach pit jelly done, if I don't decide to go ahead & do it today.

Total cost...... Around $55 for 58 jars- SO FAR!!! (if you divide the peach jam in the 24oz jar into 3- 8 oz jars like the others) :D I figure after tomorrow or later, I'll be adding another 5 or 6 jars of the peach pit.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the weekend, I did tomato sauce and 2 pints of salsa.

I learned that the recommendation to wear rubber gloves when cutting hot peppers is wise. Not, as I assumed, to keep you from going blind when you rub your eyes later, but because your fingers will burn all on their own and then be heat sensitive for days. . .

Luckily, mom found online some tips, and after dunking the fingers first in Everclear for a few minutes and then into some heavy cream, the immediate problem was solved. Now they just feel "hot" for a while even after heat's been removed, but less and less so as time passes.

This is how I learn :rolleyes: !

Oh yeah...I wear playtex rubber gloves now and then I toss the gloves. They're $1 at the dollar store.

I learned this last year. I rubbed my eye with the back of my HAND...omygosh...I was crying for about an hour.

I will remember the alcohol and cream. :)

Cat asked "Jake... How do you use your plums? Just eat them from the jar, or fix them in different dishes? We never had much use for plums when I was growing up."

We just serve them as a light desert. Put a few in a bowl and eat them spitting out the pits as you go. My 6 year old daughter just loves them. When the guy I got the plums from called and said they were ready I asked my daughter if we should get enough to make 10 or 20 quarts, she said 100. :feedme:

I asked my daughter if we should get enough to make 10 or 20 quarts, she said 100.

:24:

I take it SHE'S not helping can...

(Well of course not, at 6, but that's cute!!! :D )

At 12:45 am I have just finished 47 quarts of beets. I have enough small ones left that I will make 10 or 12 pints of pickled beets tommorow. I already made plain pickled beets this year so I may try some variations like caraway pickled beets.

Other than making salsa and maybe some tomato juice and canning up the saurkraut that I have in the crock I am about done for the year now. I am finally running out of jars. Last year I ran out and could only can more stuff as we ate stuff up and made empty jars. This year I got about 250 more jars and thought I wouldn't have that problem anymore but being laid-off I had a lot more time for gardening and canning.

I asked my daughter if we should get enough to make 10 or 20 quarts, she said 100.

:24:

I take it SHE'S not helping can...

(Well of course not, at 6, but that's cute!!! :D )

Actually she will be 7 in 3 weeks and is a big help. She is a daddy's girl :hug3: and love to help. Last week when we made pickles she scrubbed all of the pickles and after I checked them she helped pack them into the jars. Yesterday she diced up peppers for me to put in the dehydrator and then we made molasses cookies and she rolled all of the cookies in balls and rolled them in sugar for me. She just loves cooking and canning. At 3 years old she could already crack an egg and not get any shells in the bowl.

Making more tomato sauce today. I feel like a little old Italian lady. Manga!

To complete that feeling, you must ask everyone who walks into your home if they are hungry, even if they already ate & you are with them when they ate. Ah, the things you miss about your grandparents when they are gone.

10 pints of mild/medium salsa. It was suspose to be mild but I grabbed 2 bags of hot banana peppers and 1 of sweet. I didn't realize it until yesterday when I finished the bag of sweet and went to grab the other bag of them only to find they were both hot. :Blushing: Shopping with toddlers, what do you do.... :rolleyes:

That's not me in my picture either!

Just the brain!

LOL

31 pints of salsa. This brings me up to my 72 jar goal for the year so I am DONE with SALSA for the year!!! I'm gonna go off now and put my feet up!

Have taken a forced 36 hour break due to slicing my right index finger open on a canning lid, I think, last night. :o I'm having issues using it to apply any type of pressure (it doesn't help that I'm right handed) on anything, including the baby gates. UGH!!!!! So goes life.

17 1/2 quarts of saurkraut. DW says I can't make anymore because she doesn't like the smell of saurkraut fermenting in the corner of the kitchen. I used to carry the crock down into the basement after I filled it but it seems the crocks get heavier with every year older I get. I stiil have about 10 heads of cabbage in the garden and I'm not sure what to do with them. I think I will try to store some of the best ones in the cellar and maybe try dehydrating some shredded cabbage from the heads that are starting to split open. I am sure I will lose a lot by trimming out the damaged areas but the chickens will be happy with the scraps.

The other day when I was canning beets I threw all of the peelings and the water that I boiled the beets in out into the chicken pen and all of the white chickens and a pair of ducks turned pink from getting juice on themselves. It was so funny. :P

Tomatoes...

and the last batch of relish from the last few cukes in the garden.

All the crops were late this year with the weird cold summer we had so I'm not usually canning tomatoes this late.

I am going apple picking this weekend which will mean sauce, pie filling, apple rings.

I already picked pumkins and squash. Yet, I have many green tomatoes I covered with plastic in case they will ripen before we get frost. (which is probably soon)

3 quarts of potatoes from the garden with the hopes that I can do one more, with what DH and kids pulled yesterday, tonight. I'm going to have to run to the market tomorrow and pick up tomatoes & peppers with the hopes of finishing up salsa and doing hot peppers. Then onto apples and pears.

Are Italian green beans "cannable"? I didn't notice anything about them in my ball book.

It was such a weird summer, I feel very behind...

Archived