MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

th_FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

I haven't canned today, but, over the summer, I did get some pin cherry juice in the freezer, some Chokecherry Juice canned and some Crab Apple juice canned, but, I didn't get any pictures. Just to busy doing other things this year.

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

Today was attack of the killer tomatoes. It is almost midnight and I just finished cleaning up after a long day of canning. We put up 13 quarts of tomato juice, 12 pints of tomato sauce with celery onions and peppers, 20 pints and 2 quarts of tomato soup, and 7 pints of pizza sauce. Well, there aren't many tomatoes left in the garden now that will ripen before the frost comes, I will pick them all soon and ripen the rest inside. Maybe make another batch of salsa when some more ripen.

I did the last of my canning for the time being yesterday. We leave Saturday for AZ. In the morning--3 pints and 4 1/2 pints of zucchini relish. In the afternoon, pressure canned--2 quarts of chicken, 1 quart and 2 pints of stew meat with broth, 2 pints of hamburger w/ broth and 1 pint of dog meat. I am looking forward to starting up again soon!

Miki ~ have a safe trip back to AZ!

Yesterday, I was able to do 6 half-pints of Apple Pie Jam when the kids would leave me and the apples alone.

I guess I should venture into the garden to get more of the neverending tomatoes.

I froze 20 pints of winter squash today. I like to mix 3 or 4 varieties together and do all of my squash at once so it all taste the same. Then I don't have to decide if I want butternut or acorn or whatever else. The grandsons love squash so I am almost tempted to put up more but empty jars are getting scarce now. I have enough empties to put up some more applesauce and some of the pears I have. A friend dropped off 60 pounds for free and told me to come pick more if I want them. Thank god they are green and hard still so I don't have to do them right away.

I went looking to pick up some canning lids today because I am getting low but Walmart and FleetFarm were both sold out!!! I guess it is time for a trip to the Amish store. They sell generic lids in bulk and they are much cheaper anyway. I bought a bunch in spring but they are running out and the lids work great, the only failed seals that I had this year were Kerr lids.

12 quarts and 18 pints of pears. My daughter said a lady she works with has a "tons" of tomatoes that she just wants to give away. Of course when she called me to see if I wanted them my answer was my famous saying "If you can get something for nothing you might as well take it" so I guess there will be more tomato canning in my near future.

My dear friend came over today and working together with the children we canned 42 quarts of apple pie filling. And made two apple pies - the propane ran out when the pies were in the oven!! That's bad because we were supposed to do her pie filling tomorrow, now we will have to go to her house and use her tiny kitchen.

16 Pints of Top Round Beef that I bought yesterday. My Butcher caught me eyeing some Pork that was on sale but it was Bone-In. He offered to de-bone it for me but I asked him about the huge Hunk-O-Beef I spotted in another case, also on sale. He says..."What are you gonna do, Can It?" And we both started laughing :D . He says, "How big do you want the chunks cut?" I told him and while I finished my shopping 15 minutes later I had 20#'s of beautiful meat sliced and diced. He even ground the scraps for me to add to my Ground Chuck. I LOVE my Butcher! AND my Pressure Canner! :P

I put up 7 Quarts of boston baked beans on Sunday. On monday I stopped by a friends house and picked up 90 pounds of pears. (I am a sucker for free stuff, I just couldn't see them going to waste.) I sorted them out and got 40# of very nice pears that are green still and will store in the refrigerator for a while and 50# that were either damaged or ripe to the point that they needed to be used right away. I made pear sauce and pear juice today out of the 50#. I got 5 quarts of pear juice and 8 quarts of pear sauce. I thought I would get more but there was some waste with having to trim off all bruises and not being real careful peeling (too many to be too fussy) but the chickens ate good today.

I was at walmart yesterday and found 2pack surejell on clearance for 25 Cents! Doesn't expire till 2012 so I got a lot of it. I plan on making candy apple jelly and pepper jelly today.Making the pepper jelly red and green for Christmas baskets.

Our Wal-Mart doesn't even carry surejell. They only carry ball products and they haven't put anything on sale. Sometimes, it appears on the aisles but when I check, the price is still the same.

This weekend I put up 12 pints of Boston Butt Roast and bought 40 packages of lids at Walmart that were on sale for $1 each and 10 cases of pint jars on sale for $5 each. I need to go back and see if they have any jars left. I don't think that will hold me over until spring time (have a lot of beans I want to get canned and am always canning meat when it's on sale) and the price is too good to pass up.

Archived