MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 7

Cat

Today I canned 3 pints of pork cubes, 6 pints of pork shoulder to make pulled bbq pork, and have 12 pints of chicken in orange sauce processing. Got plans to do something with a large bag of carrots tomorrow.

Pigzzilla

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got started on carrots today. Made 10 pints of glazed carrots. Carrots, orange juice, zest, brown sugar syrup. Yum.

Also 7 pints of Mongolian Beef. Beef, carrots, soy sauce, water, garlic and ginger.

Pigzzilla

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This week I canned 14 pints of "french" onion soup and 7 pints of corned beef.

Tonite for dinner I cooked a pot of rice, then opened 3 pint jars for what my son called "the sample platter". 1 pint of sweet and sour chicken, 1 of chicken in orange sauce and 1 of mongolian beef. We put 3 scoops of rice on each plate, then topped each with the beef or chicken. Made a great way to try things I had canned awhile back but not yet tried. And then I decided I might as well finish off the last pint of blackberry and a pint of blueberry pie filling to make a cobbler. That was great...open 5 jars and DINNER.

Pigz

Last night I started apple butter. This morning I finished up 14 1/2pints of Darlenes CrockPot Apple Butter. And a little bit left for the fridge. VERY GOOD!!! I only had 4 quarts of apple sauce so I had to tweek the sugar a bit.

I also canned up 13 pints of a green bean and carrot blend we got at the local restruant supply store. Got 2 bags 5lbs each for $6. The veggies were frozen, so a quick thaw and dip thru boiling water to get them hot, then into jars and top off with boiling water and into the pressure canner. Colorful and should be tasty too.

Pigzzilla

• 2 weeks later...

This week I canned 34 pints of beets, 7 qtts chicken, dehydrated 16 trays of frozen blue and 10 pounds of pottaoes.

Whew am I tired. I am feeling that we really need to step things up !!

This week I canned 14 pints of "french" onion soup and 7 pints of corned beef.

Tonite for dinner I cooked a pot of rice, then opened 3 pint jars for what my son called "the sample platter". 1 pint of sweet and sour chicken, 1 of chicken in orange sauce and 1 of mongolian beef. We put 3 scoops of rice on each plate, then topped each with the beef or chicken. Made a great way to try things I had canned awhile back but not yet tried. And then I decided I might as well finish off the last pint of blackberry and a pint of blueberry pie filling to make a cobbler. That was great...open 5 jars and DINNER.

Pigz

Pigz:

That sweet & sour chicken sounds divine. Mind sharing the recipe and canning time & pressure? Thanks

That cobbler sounds divine, too! It's so fun to know that we can get stuff on sale from the farmer's market, can it, and open it a year later with no decrease in quality! :)

Your sampler platter sounded wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Today, with Violet and Mom11s help--8 half pints of corn cob jelly. The last time I tried this at 6000 ft. it did not jell. Violet suggested adding 2 Tablespoons of clear gel which I had because Mom11 sent some last Christmas. Anyway success!!! Now I know what to do as long as I have clear gel anyway.

Now, what to do with the corn I cut off the cobs...

Miki,

Woo hooo ! It worked !! I knew it would gel that way.

Why not pressure can the corn or make corn relish ? You do it in th BWB canner since it has vinegar. The class made some last week and declared it delish ! Very pretty, too. Corn, peppers, celery, etc. The recipe is at Univ. of Georgia or in So Easy to Preserve.

More strawberries.Today I canned 7 half pints strawberry-rhubarb jam and 7 pints of rhubarb,strawberry and apple pie filling from the Big Ball Book recipe. looks kinda ugly but sure tastes yummy. I think it will be good in fried pies or turnovers.

CoM, Here is the recipe I used for the Sweet and Sour Chicken. I got it from the Creative Canning site posted Jan. 17, 2009.

This lady has quite a few things posted. Some are good, some I think make Violet scream (ingredients that are a canning no-no). I have made a few things from the site that I think are fine. That said, here goes...................

Sweet and Sour Chicken makes about 5 quarts

4 1/2 lbs chicken, boneless, skinless thighs and breasts cut in bite size pieces

2 large green peppers chopped

1 large red pepper chopped

2 onions chopped

3 20oz cans pineapple chunks drained, reserve juice (I use packed in juice, not in syrup)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/4 cups white vinegar

6 Tablespoons soy sauce

4 Tablespoons catsup

1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger ( I used some store-bought chopped ginger in a little jar)

Layer chicken, onions, peppers and pineapple in quart jars.

Heat brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, catsup, ginger and 3 cups

of pineapple juice ( add water if there is not enough juice) and bring

to a light boil until sugar is dissolved.

Pour liquid over the solids in the jars. Leave 1" headspace. Place hot lids on jars

and then the screw bands. Pressure can for 90 minutes at 11 lbs pressure or according for your elevation.

When serving, I thickened the juice with a little cornstarch and served with rice.

I hope your family likes this as much as mine does.....................pigz

More strawberrys!! Today I made 11 more half pints of strawberry jam, 9 half pints of s-berry/banana jam for DH, and 9 half pints of s-berry/pineapple jam. I think several family members are gonna get strawberry jam for Christmas. I think we have enuf for several years. My berrys went crazy while I was out of town. I think they are under control now.

My #2 son brought me a large box of cherries tonight just as I was taking the last of the s-berry jam out of the canner. I told him no problem, he pits 'em, I'll can 'em. Tomorrow.

pigz

Just finished 7 half-pints of strawberry rhubarb jam. Just in time for dh to tell me, he's fine with just that! <_< So, I will be making at least 3 more batches before the rest of the strawberry & strawberry & jams. I want to try the strawberry lemonade concentate (Darlene's, I think) from last year, too.

14 half pints of bing cherry jam, more Christmas goodies I think. I don't remember where I read this, but someone posted she got tired of trying to chase cherries around to chop them up, so she ran them thru a food chopper. I used the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer. Took about as long to clean as it did to chop.

Then my step-D called to see if I'm home cause she has a bunch of apricots for me to make her some jam. So, my next mess was 8 pints of apricot jam. I really like the way she just assumes I can supply the jars and sugar.............rant, rant. And she has more 'cots that will be ready in a few days........grrrrrr. I told her I really need the empty jars back if she wants refills.

And then, DH (Glenn) sez, oh Honey, I forgot to tell you I finished off the last of the grape jelly while you were at the hockey tourney. HA..fooled him, I bought a bottle of Welches 100% concord grape juice recently and next thing he knows, I made 9 half pints of grape for him, sat down and told DH and #2 son if they want dinner they better start cooking!

I have made jelly from concord, red, white grape juices, frozen orange juice and canned crushed pineapple. Those are real simple and make great gifts too. Also I've used bottled apple juice and pomegranet juice, before I got a pom tree.

Archived