MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

female preps

OK. Let's say that we have the food, supplies, first aid, etc. all taken care of. Now, what about you the woman, mother, the female?

I have not seen any of these items on any lists and am curious what women are doing? Personally, I do not use many of these items, but us "girls' need to think about ourselves too, once the family is taken care of.

Makeup

Nail polish

Gels/Mousse

Perfume

Hair Color

Face Creams

Lotions

Scented Candles

Hair clips, ties, holders

Another item I have not seen any mention of is craft/leisure items. I see lots of entries for the kids: games, books, etc.

I know women work very hard and if times get tough, we will work even harder. But, women need an outlet too! Just curious about other thoughts on the subject.

These things can be important to women who are so used to using them daily (like myself......a self-proclaimed princess!) I wouldn't freakout about it or anything if there was an emergency situation and I couldn't do my nails, though. I do think it's important to keep oneself busy during trying times, and luckily my hobby, yarnwork and sewing are very handy in the self-sufficiency way of life. I have an entire room dedicated to spinning wool, kniiting and crocheting, and sewing. When times get too emotionally trying, a couple hours in there alone with my yarn usually resets my mood.

For more practical women needs such as sanitary pads, the Hillbilly Housewife / Frugal Abundance website has a pattern for cloth reuseable pads you can easily make yourself. Favorite soaps and lotions can be easily stocked up in advance too.

I agree. I think we should have enough cloth pads (sorry to any guys reading this) to accomodate the number of females in the house. Or even more for that matter...I would think that if people had no way to get the store bought kind these would make a good barter item - just a thought.

I also think razors should be added to the above list. I'm not a prissy lady by any means, but I want to shave my legs!

Makeup

Nail polish

Perfume

Face Creams

Lotions

Scented Candles

I don't use any of the above. Well, I do have a big walmart jug of basic lotion for the RARE dry skin in our house. It lasts forever.

Gels/Mousse - my hair is short and mousse does help it stay where I like it. I usually buy 2 or 3 bottles at a time, and each bottle lasts at least a couple of months.

Hair Color - I usually buy a year's worth at a time, but really don't consider it an essential. Oh, sure, I feel better without gray hair, but in a crisis, that'll be the least of my worries!

Hair clips, ties, holders - I might end up using these, if I can't get haircuts. Same for my kid. Thanks for the reminder!

Sewing and crafts are well-covered. I tell dh they're "preps" because we may end up needing to make things for ourselves. I also have lots of books. We have a lot of board games that I enjoy playing ... plus playing cards, cribbage, checkers/chess, backgammon, mancala and so on. I keep a Hoyle's rule book handy for just such an occasion.

As for menstrual needs, I can't say enough good things about the Diva Cup. At the very least, I'd suggest buying disposable supplies ahead, just like you do paper towels, bathroom tissue, etc.

I think items needed for ones period are important either cloth or disposable. Razors, nice to have could be nice to use as barter too. Lotions I put as part of medical supplies because it helps maintain skin integrity. Break down in the skin can lead to some VERY nasty infections. I like my make-up but I'm not prepping loads of it.

I do think hair clips etc are pretty needed and more user friendly than a peice of string. ;)

I know some of those may seem trivial. I usually do my hair, nails, make up etc. and I keep extra of all those things.

At the onset of a disaster, I may not do much with hair and make up, but to have those things available to me to feel "normal" one in awhile would be welcomed.

If job loss or reduced hours are a possiblity, it's nice to know you have extra of the things that make up your daily routine.

Can't forget the one absolutely eeeeeeesssssential need for just about every woman:

CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!! :feedme:

I try to stock chocolate, I really do. But for some reason, I seem to use up my chocolate preps a lot faster than I stock up. Strange. :blush:

I gots 50# of bitter chocolate powder! Who needs makeup? LOL I stopped using that stuff years ago. I cut my own and daughter's hair and it is too short for clips, bands etc. I make the few toiletries we need. I can't bear anything "scented" around me.

I have enough craft items for the rest of my life and no time/energy to do them. If the net is down, I go take a nap.

I want to make cloth menstrual pads, for myself and for DD who is 9, she’ll be needing them before I know it.

Wish I knew how to make bras, that really has been on my mind! What if TSHTF before DD really needs bras, then needs them? How do I make a bra? What about myself? Bras don’t last forever… need to google patterns, something!

Pony tail holders and barrettes are a necessity. And various scarves. DD and I both wear our hair long, its so easy to just pony tail that hair up. Love hair spray for the little hairs that fall out, keeps my hair looking neater, but I don’t think it’s a necessity.

Make-up? I always wore make up, for years and years, once I became a SAHM I wore it when I went to the grocery store and others places, but now I really only wear it when I went to church, meetings, someone’s house… I tend to be more natural w/ my looks now (DH likes me both ways, so its not a problem w/ him). I like makeup, but I would do w/o it. I just can’t see spending lots of money on that stuff (because it really adds up expense wise) when there are so many other things that we need prep wise.

Want to buy lotions, but I’m concerned about shelf life. Really want to make some!!!

Shaving I would like to be able to shave. Like to keep my underarms neat, as it bothers me more than legs. Since I’m now over 40, it seems that the growth of my hair on my legs is slowing down a little bit.

Honestly though, my biggest concerns are cloth pads, bras, things for our hair, moisturizers for skin (my skin gets terribly dry).

Well I love all the things you listed and haven't stored much. Although it seems I always have lots of makeup and lipstick, can't stop buying the darn stuff!! So I guess my lips will have some color when my hair is a mess and the gray is all showing!! LOL!! I buy lots of avon lotions and have some, but don't know how long these things are good, does anyone know? I think I'll start buying some deodorant, lotion, all my "luxuries" just in case. If I can just stay out of it, that's my problem!! LOL!!

also, should a surgery be needed a razor will be needed to shave the affected area.

Um...not necessarily. Some studies show that shaving is more likely to cause infection than prevent it. Also, if the hair is long enough, some ERs will braid together the hairs from both sides of a cut, especially a jagged one, to hold the skin together. I've seen braiding done with hemostats holding clumps of hair because the hair was too short for fingers to grasp.

In a crisis situation, I tend to think that you're not going to care about hair and make-up and nails. I love getting my nails done, but in canning season, it's just so impractical. It's also the first thing to go if there is no money in the budget.

I tend to hold on to the multi-use items - razors, carmex, moisturizer (can double as hand lotion at night), etc. Because I do have dry skin, I do have certain items I use, but they are not at the front of my mind in a crisis.

Regarding making bras...

I am a bellly dancer and looked into making my own costumes because they are just so darn expensive. When it came time to think about making the bra portion of a costume, the other dancers told me just to buy the bra off the rack and alter & decorate them to look like costume bras. The reason they told me this is because they all said bras are really hard to make, supposedly for experienced seamstresses as well, and should just be left to the pros. I'm talking about just the regular bras you and I wear....not the costume kind. It would save a lot of stress and headache from what I understand, just to buy them. I've never attempted to sew my own bra, but shyed away from the project after hearing this.

Just a thought.......

I'm too top heavy there to make my own bra. I am making my own pads though. If interested, go to www.ladyrinth.net or www. clothpads.org or www.hillbillyhousewife.com then homemade Sanitary pads. or www.hagrag.com Hope this helps.

cleanheart :bouquet:

I think bras would be hard to make too, and I have NO sewing skills.

I'm just really concerned about a post-TSHTF situation where I can't go shopping...

Commando is fine at home :whistling: but I'm just thinking about gardening w/o a little help for the girls (I'm busty too). And my DD who will be needing real bras soon.

Guess I'll do the best I can, buy fabric and such, extra bras if I can, and well, just pray about it, can only do what I can do, and really just remember to trust in Him.

If your concern is just to stabilize the "girls" while doing house and yardwork, a simple binding with fabric would probably be effective. Think about the fact that the modern bra has only been around for 100 years, but women have always had breasts. There must be other ways to "manage" them.

Well, if ya had a fancy occasion, corsets can be nice ;) . So long as used properly (and the advent of spandex and lycra makes them a lot more manageable!).

I sang my Senior Recital in a corset. And heeled boots. Well, and a nice dress I'd sewn, and the hairpiece I'd made. . . and some nice jewelery . . . and makeup . . . But the corset was the core of the costume. . .

Corsets aren't much good for garden work (ya don't want to fall out while goin' to pull a carrot or potato), but they make the "Girls" look, er, lively . . . the problem is sitting in them. But thanks to spandex and lycra, you can now breathe in them.

And I've tried binding, and it takes a bit of practice, but it can work. And I'm a big girl with, er, sizable assets. It took some time to figure out how best to wrap everything up, and its easier with a friend (sister, mom, auntie, the maid, some female friend) to help. It can work.

Edited by zophiel