MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Water - Questions

If this is posted somewhere I'm sorry, but I'm wondering about water storage. I've got a few gallon plastic screw top plastic stored and some of the smaller liter bottles. But that's a long way from what I would need. I had bought couple 2.5 gallon jugs and they completely leaked and lost all the water, what's with that!!

I can't afford the big water drums that are like $50..on a budget like so many. I was wondering can you store water in those heavy plastic containers they sell to put gas or something similar in? I mean its heavy plastic and they come in like 5 - 10 gallon containers. If I bought some and cleaned them good inside, would they not be safe for water? Nothing else would have been stored in them, their usually dark in color and very heavy plastic. Was thinking they might even be good to store in a vehicle.

Can someone please give me some information if this is safe or other alternatives. Thank you.

I have those green 6 gallon water jugs from wal-mart. They are in the camping aisle. DO NOT use any plastic containers that are not food grade! I chose the 6 gallon because they have handles and are easy to carry in case you have to bug out.

If you want free food-grade containers, set out a bottle bucket in the break room at work with a note the plastic will be recycled. You can even ask people to rinse the empties, which saves work for you. Take home the containers, wash them, fill them, put in the iodine or bleach as you see fit, cap them, and set them aside. Technically, this is known as recycling them. Go by the liquor store for sturdy boxes with dividers inside them. Some will be of the perfect size to bundle your bottles so you can stack them.

You can also sometimes get store brand distilled water or purified water for fifty cents a gallon or less, nontaxable. You still need boxes to make them stackable, and of course you have a higher risk of them splitting because these bottles have seams.

Another idea is to get the 3 and 5 gal food grade buckets w/lids from bakeries. You could wash these and treat in the same manner as mentioned by Ambergris. That would give you several sizes - mainly for free. I have got the buckets mainly from grocery store bakeries. Some were free, some were .50.

If you want free food-grade containers, set out a bottle bucket in the break room at work with a note the plastic will be recycled. You can even ask people to rinse the empties, which saves work for you. Take home the containers, wash them, fill them, put in the iodine or bleach as you see fit, cap them, and set them aside. Technically, this is known as recycling them. Go by the liquor store for sturdy boxes with dividers inside them. Some will be of the perfect size to bundle your bottles so you can stack them.

You can also sometimes get store brand distilled water or purified water for fifty cents a gallon or less, nontaxable. You still need boxes to make them stackable, and of course you have a higher risk of them splitting because these bottles have seams.

Ambergris, I like your style! :grinning-smiley-044:

I find the easiest (and cheapest) water storage is recycled 2 liter bottles. I don't use many myself but have friends and family save them for me. They are a good size to handle.

Another item I have seen is the Water Bob (www.waterbob.com ) It is a 100 gallon bag that goes into your bathtub. It's price is $19.95 (plus shipping probably). Not for long term storage but would be great for emergency storage.

I have a water question too - Do you guys dump & refill your water containers annually? I have been doing this, but wonder if I need to. I know the water goes "stale" after a while, and figured it would be nicer to drink water that was "fresher." Am I just making work for myself? (I have plenty of other stuff to do...)

I have a water question too - Do you guys dump & refill your water containers annually? I have been doing this, but wonder if I need to. I know the water goes "stale" after a while, and figured it would be nicer to drink water that was "fresher." Am I just making work for myself? (I have plenty of other stuff to do...)

I switch the water out of my 2 litres out every 6 months, and replace the 2 litres once a year. I worry about the plastic breaking down long term... I'm not fond of plastic, so I'm just overly paranoid there. ;)

Twice a year would be 'fresher' because over time it loses oxygen and many of the minerals settle out of it. In some plastic containers it can also pick up the plastic chemicals. I've actually sealed some of mine in glass containers to see if the water stays fresher for a longer period.

"I have a water question too - Do you guys dump & refill your water containers annually? I have been doing this, but wonder if I need to. I know the water goes "stale" after a while, and figured it would be nicer to drink water that was "fresher." Am I just making work for myself? (I have plenty of other stuff to do...)"

If you are not already aware, the milk containers and soda bottles are made to biodegrade in about 2 years. If they are kept away from sunlight and in a cool stable temperature they will last longer - how much longer I do not know.

I feel a lot of the "stale" taste will depend on how the water is stored and what (if anything) is used to stabilize it.

I use Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen in my 55 gallon drums of water. The Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen is advertised as keeping the water safe to drink (with little or no aftertaste) for 5 years.

Last night I went and got some water from one of the drums (water has been in the drum 2 1/2 years) and compared it to some "fresh" water from the well.

The results: Clarity and color were the same.

The cold stored water had a very faint "aftertaste", however the after taste was not objectionable and I feel most people would not notice it unless they were looking for it.

I heated up the balance and made some tea. I could not taste any difference between the stored water and the "fresh" water.

Hope this is of some help.

Katz,

Not all plastic is suitable for water/food storage due to their composition. Like others have said you should only use containers made of food-grade plastic. I found that out when i washed and re-used some huge tidy cat cat litter jugs, the dioxin contained in the plastic leeched into the water and smelled more like a chemical lab than a water jug.

I have a link to share with you for for both different sized water containers AND also a nifty water preservative which can extend the shelf life of your water supply. Normally you have to rotate them out every 6 months to keep the water fresh.

See this link here

Those Tidy Cat jugs do make excellent water storage for toliet flushing water though, so hang onto a few!

You know, I never thought of that!...I always used a 5 gallon bucket filled from the lake out back. But, yes if you don't have a lake that sure would make it easier to flush now wouldn't it!