MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

my Mantadory Flu Training

zophiel

Hey y'all,

I just finished the brand new, mandatory swine flu training that everyone at my installation (US Army, I'm a civilian) has to take. Since it's not a matter or OPSEC, as such, and they're produced by the VA and CDC, I think it's okay to pass these little podcasts on. They're nothing folks at this forum are unfamiliar with, but they may prove useful in teaching your children or other loved ones some solid info. (As with all things, I do recommend parents review materials before using in class.) You'll note that the link for the last three is all the same-- scroll down for at the link for the referenced vids. You'll also see other videos that I didn't link to, since they weren't included as part of the mandatory training.

POD CAST 1 Swine Flu

POD CAST 2 General Instructions for Disposable Respirators

POD CAST 3 How to prevent getting and spreading Novel H1N1 Flu

POD CAST 4 Symptoms of H1N1 (Swine Flu)

POD CAST 5 Hand Hygiene (Swine Flu)

POD CAST 6 How Flu is Spread (Swine Flu)

POD CAST 7 Respiratory Etiquette (Swine Flu)

The other thing I wanted to mention is. . . our office assistant came around today with boxes of tissues for everyone, as she had been "mandated" to do so, and mentioned that other items would be passed out soon as well. (I myself am hoping for some free hand sanitizer as my current bottle is starting to run low. . . and maybe some coupons for free ice cream for, you know, keeping morale up! Yeah, morale, that's the ticket! :D )

Anyway, it seems as though my corner of the US Army is taking this thing very seriously, or (says my inner paranoid cynic) wanting to appear as though they do. Granted, I'm very reluctant to be a cynic regarding my boys and girls in green, so I'm really mostly the former-- thinking that they're taking this very seriously. Those boxes of tissues cost $$, something the DoD, at least, has been tight with (we ran out of manilla folders in our office a year ago, and our new office pens are, well, not nearly as nice as the old ones. Spoiled? perhaps. . . but the point remains). Likewise, adding more training requirements at this time of year (End of Fiscal Year) is generally considered "Rather Stupid"-- unless there is a pressing concern.

Thought some of you might be interested. If any of the free stuff (well, not free. We law abiding, tax-paying citizens paid for it. . .) if it's interesting, I'll be sure to update this.

-Z

Very good of you to post this. Will look at leisuretomorrow.

Thank you Zophiel.

As an update . . .

Hopes fulfilled! Got my new hand sanitizer today, a nice 8oz bottle of Purell.

Running some quick numbers for just the office budget on this. . .

Yesterdays gift was Clorox disinfecting wipes. The local warehouse store sells the size we got (35 ct) for $3.89 ea. For an office of 32 ppl, that's $124.48

Today's gift of Purell, I see via google shopping, would likely be at least 3.44ea, for a total of 110.08

I've no idea how much the boxes of cheap tissues they gave us cost. But, I'd say minimum $234.46 for our office alone, let alone the rest of the installation, the rest of the Command, the rest of the Dept of the Army, or the rest of the DoD. Or anything beyond that. This is the office that for the past few years couldn't spare the dimes for file folders, mind, and these were mandated purchases.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, I needed new sanitizer anyway, and the tissues and wipes will certainly be used. On the other hand, this is taxpayer money we're spending here, and I know there are off-brands of hand sanitizer, and smaller sizes too.

On the other two hands (No, not a Hindu deity, just playing one in this post ;) ), this is again indicative of how seriously they're taking this. They've never done this in years past. Do they know something we don't? Or just playing CYA? Can't decide on those either. . .

Archived