MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New flu making the rounds

kyrsyan

We are in quarantine at home for the next week. Yesterday my son started running high fevers. I did the basics and we were doing well until he topped 105 while on meds last night. Did the hospital run because that's just too high a fever to not get him checked. Turns out there is a nasty virulent flu going around that is not the swine flu.

Pair that with the fact that the school seems to be ignoring illnesses. His class has been full of sick kids since the school year started. Despite a letter from the school nurse, none of the kids have been sent home. He just got over strep last week (and gave it to me :o ). I called and told them he had strep, and had been in the classroom with it. They didn't tell anyone, not the parents or the aides. They've never been like this before. I'm wondering where their brains have gone.

But on the positive side, at least so far, as soon as I realized how sick he was I started both of us on elderberry extract. While I'm still running fevers, they're staying under control with meds.

They send kids home with head lice, what in the world are they thinking ignoring flu and strep?

Don't know. They're driving me crazy with this attitude. Normally the least little sniffle gets calls home. I'm wondering if it isn't some weird twist on the CDC "keep 'em in school" guidelines. I'm kind of glad that the doc said keep him home for the week and wrote drs orders to that fact. Hopefully it will give his system time to recover from the continual onslaught it's been getting since school started. They said the strep was gone, but the tonsils are still inflamed. No ear infection, so just this nasty flu. They wanted to do Tamiflu but I told them no. Too many possible side effects, and we aren't sure when he got it, just when the fevers started.

He's been happy today though. He's spent a good deal of time in the bathtub. (He's convinced it's a small pool.) And he got a snuggle nap with me this afternoon.

I spent most of the day doing bedding laundry. And I'll probably do it again tomorrow. I figure keeping it clean will help both of us.

Archived