MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

September

drumrunner

September has been typically busy for the family, just as every other month has been for the past few years, but with the added urgency of pandemic thrown in. At this time of year, here in Colorado, my visions are not of December's 'sugar plums' and gifts under a tree, but power outages, ice storms, vehicle breakdowns and blizzards.

I thought I'd share with you some of September's preps in anticipation of the coming winter months, with H1N1 tossed in for extra excitement. Perhaps there my be something y'all could use.

1.) Stocked up on gasoline (30 gallons) with fuel stabilizer added, mounted the snow tires on both vehicles. Had the transmissions, radiators, belts, hoses and brakes checked. First aid and survival bags are in each vehicle. Tire chains and a good spare tire.

2.) Topped off the 'in house' emergency bags, similar to our 'bug out' bags but designed for in home use containing the stuff we would need if bad weather cut us off from the outside world for a week.

3.) Kerosene! Lots of it. New wicks in the heaters, long nose butane lighters, and extra CO and smoke detector, 3 more fire extinguishers.

4.) OTC meds for flu and cold treatment of course, multivitamins, Gatoraid type drinks.

5.) Dehydrating more foods as they come into season, especially fruits. Since I drink a lot of coffee, buy that when it goes on sale too. Coffee is NOT grown in the US (except a small quantity in Hawaii),almost all isl imported. It simply would be most uncivilized to ask someone to ride out a disaster without a fresh cup of 'brew' in hand.

agree 100+ on the coffee. IMO a good host(ess) always offers coffee first. ;)

It sounds like your preparations are the same as ours LOL Getting ready for the outages that always comes. We're getting to be old hands at it now-a-days it seems.

Hope you have a safe winter drumrunner. I've turned a number of folks onto your web site. ;)

Archived