MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 8:12

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Our Father, Who is in heaven,

Hallowed be Your Name.

Your Kingdom come,

Your will be done,

On earth as it is in heaven. If Your will is done in heaven exclusively, then certainly Your will can be accomplished in our lives, especially when we ask for Your perfect will, Father.

Give us this day our daily bread, meet the needs that are set forth for today.

Forgive me, and us our sins, as we forgive others who have sinned against us.

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil and the evil one.

For it is Your kingdom, Your power, Your glory alone, from the beginning of time through eternity and forever more.

In Jesus Name I pray,

12. So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, - according to flesh to be living!

or, as the NASB states this verse because the above version was confusing to me:

12. So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh -

Watchman Nee comments on the word "to live according" and writes, "After we are saved, it is still possible for us to live according to the flesh by setting the mind on the flesh. But when we are in spirit and walk according to the spirit, we are freed from the flesh and are no longer obligated to it as debtors."

The rvbv writes, "So then" has all the great truths in mind from Chapter 6:1 to this verse! Identified with Christ, our old man was crucified with Him, our connection with Adam the first being thus broken by death. Next we share His newness of life as being in Christ Risen. Next the Spirit of life is caused to indwell us, by His almighty power setting us free from the law of sin and of death - because all rights of sin as connected with the flesh were cancelled at the cross. Finally, although our body is still dead to god, yet the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus personally dwells within us, guaranteeing that He who raised Christ federally and caused us to share His risen life will make our bodies also alive toward Him when Christ returns. And meanwhile the indwelling Spirit becomes an "earnest" of the coming redemption of our bodies. "So then" - let the power of all these mighty truths govern our thoughts here.

Now note the form of statement in Verse 12: We are debtors - (indeed we are) to God, to Christ and to the indwelling Spirit! But this debtorship to God is not here pressed at all. But rather the negation of any debtorship whatever to the flesh! in view of our wonderful deliverance just recited. We are indeed debtors, but not to the flesh - according to flesh to be living. God formed man's body, first, calling him man (Gen. 2:7). Then he breathed into his nostrils the breath (literally, spirit) of life; and man became a living soul. His bodily functions we all know. His soul-life put him in touch with the world into which by Divine creation he had now been introduced, but man was essentially a spirit, living in a body, possessing a soul. It was with his spirit that God communed and in which alone man was God-conscious.

Now when man sinned, all was overthrown! The body, that was to be the tabernacle of this Divinely inbreathed or created spirit, took immediate lordship. The life of God was withdrawn from man's spirit. He had died to god! The spirit became the slave of the body; and the propensities of the latter, normal and controlled before, became the whole urge or driving force of man's existence! His soul, also, which included his five "senses," - which perceived and enjoyed the external universe; with his reason and imagination, became controlled by what God called "the flesh". "The thoughts of man's heart," became "only evil and that continually."

Now in the new birth the dead spirit (dead to God) is by Divine creation made alive, or enlifed with Christ; and the Holy Spirit becomes the sphere of man's newly created spirit; for whatever the believer's progress may be, he is no longer in flesh but in Spirit!

The body's demands are the same as ever, because the body is not yet redeemed; and to live after the desires of the body - "according to flesh" Paul warns in verse 13, For if ye live according to flesh, ye are about to die."

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for this verse today. I have several people coming to the house this morning and so I just wanted to get at least this one verse in for today.

Please lead and guide me through all the decisions and choices I need to make today. I need Your help and presence with me continually.

Bless this study Father, open all our eyes because this is critical that we understand all that You have given us in Your Word.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,