MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
ROSARYCHAPLET

when i first started prepping, i.....

when i first started prepping i told my extended family i was preparing for the standard 3 day emergency. i told my family and neighbors, as well. this conversation would take place after an earthquake. a great opportunity to naturally bring up prepping. i did not explain that i was awaiting a big calamity, or TEOTWAWKI. i gave a sheeple version of prepping.

one thing that came up was, after the earthquake, how in 1994 we were without utilities for weeks!!! no water, no gas, no electricity! i made the comment that after a while people were stinking for lack of water. a response to that was, after a major disaster, hygiene was the least of ones' worries. the major worry was staying alive.

what this person didn't realize was you get a BAD CASE OF THE ICHIES, and INFECTIONS (esp. females) if you don't clean up.

My story...the year was 1999...folks were all worried about Y2K. I was oblivious and unconcerned. At the last moment, my dh and I decided that maybe there might be something to it and we should prepare. So I went to the store, bought a bunch of tv dinners and pizza, and put them in the freezer. There we go; all set for anything! lol

For Y2K I bought 50 pounds of split peas. I might eat split peas twice a yr, but they were cheap!

Split peas?? YUCK! :faint3: Mom made split pea soup waaaaaayyy too often when growing up. I bleeping refuse to eat it. I'd have to be facing starvation first. Such is my hate for pea soup that it marred the experience of a yummy meal- baked ham- because I knew what was to follow afterward.

At least bean soup is something I'll eat again, after I found out there's lots of ways to make it far better than Mom's recipe. (Mind you, Mom is a great cook and taught me lots. God bless her. But every cook has weak spots).

Prepper mistakes. Well, I bought the cheap plastic 1 gallon water jugs and the collapsible water jugs as well. My parents used the 1 gal. jugs for tornado preps and they held up just fine. I figured if I kept them out of the light (storage cabinet) they'd be fine. I also filled one of the 5 gallon jugs and kept it under the sink. Yup, small flood under the sink ensued and the 1 gal. jugs eventually leaked.

I bought bagged grains and rice but didn't seal them off airtight or freeze them. Major pantry moth infestation ensued.

I've bought some other dehydrated foods that I haven't tried to cook with yet. Remedying that this afternoon with some of the dehydrated veggies!

Well I only started prepping this January, so maybe Im reasonably new at it. I did get a lot of chicken soup and we dont eat it much. The same is said with any tinned food, except baked beans, fish and various fruit.

The big laugh I have, Iv run out of space, I need to get rid of the clutter (ok books ) to fit more stuff in. Im not very good at getting rid of books, they're my babies. :lol:

**thinking, thinking**

Couldn't we use the books to build a bomb shelter with? Then we don't have to *GASP!* get rid of them?????

:happy0203:

Weeellll, my husband was more on this bandwagon that I. I've always stocked a really good pantry, but paid little attention to HOW LONG it would last.

So, for Y2K, he stocked some rice, beans, and wheat, and just tossed them in some square buckets. After a few years on concrete, they took on moisture. He sold the wheat early on (needed the money) and held on to the rice and beans.

Well, I used up the beans making bean bags for counting for my classroom. The rice...well, we have one bucket left and I did cook up a cup. It tasted definitely stale. I've no idea what to do with it. I don't need any more bean bags.

I think my greatest mistake was at first not allowing for enough diversity in my pantry. You see, now I have 2 pantries, the 'upstairs one' for regular cooking, and the 'long term' one that is stored in buckets and boxes. My home canning is counted as part of the 'regular' pantry, even though it takes us a while to rotate through all the food.

I also realized that I didn't have any good medications (OTC or otherwise) for flu or major illness. I didn't even have charcoal caps. I didn't have anything for my animals for when they needed attention.

My husband has been big into trying things and I realized that I HATE MRE's. Something about them just sends me into gut rumble city. This is what lit a fire under me for expanding my pantry.

The past couple of years has indeed been educational and enlightening to see what I can store, how I can expand, what I can do to fight food fatigue and what I can preserve. I'm so proud of myself. In fact, I think this is one of my greatest accomplishments as a wife. :)

Could the rice be used as an additive in animal food? :shrug:

I don't know. I haven't started the cats on the BARF diet...or the chickens. It's why I'm keeping it though...maybe I can use it in *something*. We don't have a dog, otherwise I think it would be gone by now.

Our big preps for Y2K was to get an extra $20 out of the atm. I just want to smack mine & dh's younger selves every time I think of that.

I don't know. I haven't started the cats on the BARF diet...or the chickens. It's why I'm keeping it though...maybe I can use it in *something*. We don't have a dog, otherwise I think it would be gone by now.

Why not make a rice table for the kidlets? It's the same thing as a sandbox, only smaller and raised up. Put in little scoopers and trucks and let em play. Of course, at the end of the day you'll have a mess to clean up around it, but it sweeps right up, no problem. Just make sure they understand really well that this is for PLAYING and NOT EATING, or you may have to deal with a few tummy aches. :24:

Well, if I had children, I would use it as such - for play in dry pouring. BUT, I have not been so blessed (YET), so I'm still stuck with a use for it.

Does anyone know - Can chickens eat rice raw or would it be better if I cooked it first, only giving them smaller portions?

Seeing that this is my first year prepping (including garden and harvesting), I think this counts.

My raspberry plants are obviously only going to produce a little this year, so when my MIL called and said they had an over abundance of them I jumped at it. She wasn't kidding. Yesterday, between picking raspberries and keeping the kids out of them, I spent 2 hours in the patch. It was sunny and really warm so I took off my sweatshirt about 15 minutes into picking.

When I got home, I was so proud of my 5 gallon bucket of raspberries! I got them all taken care of and went on with my day. I had a little extra time last night so I decided to do a little canning of the produce from our garden. Tomatoes. Peeled the first one and my fingers were a little tingly - thought my hands must be dry. Second one - up to my wrists and getting to be a little more painful. Third one - I was whining like a baby. My hands and arms got red and showed every single mark from my wonderful time in the patch that morning. I had tiny swollen spots and lines everywhere.

Wasn't so funny last night, but today it sure is. I just never gave it thought.

Should have done the green beans instead.

Raw rice is fine for chickens, but in small amts. Too much and they will not keep laying due to lack of protein.

A rice bag can be heated in the microwave or on top a wood stove for a heating bag. Really nice to snuggle with on a cold night or if you have an achy back. Some people put a bit of dried herbs in for the scent. They make nice Christmas gifts too.

Well, if I had children, I would use it as such - for play in dry pouring. BUT, I have not been so blessed (YET), so I'm still stuck with a use for it.

Does anyone know - Can chickens eat rice raw or would it be better if I cooked it first, only giving them smaller portions?

never feed birds raw rice. when they drink water the rice will puff up and expand in their stomachs; an explosive situation! that's why rice is no longer thrown at weddings.

my guess is cook it first.

Edited by ROSARYCHAPLET

Our big preps for Y2K was to get an extra $20 out of the atm. I just want to smack mine & dh's younger selves every time I think of that.

I know of a pro prepper whose own mother prepped for a hurricane by going to mcd's and buying 5 (five) fish fillet sandwiches. Suffice it to say he was worried for her.

I started prepping as a new bride in 1990, when I moved to Seattle WA. I knew it was earthquake country, so I prepped for that mostly. It was pretty much at the 72 hr kit level at that time, and stayed there until I had young children and we moved to IA, where I had tornados to prep for as well. Then around 1998 I started getting concerned about y2k and got more serious thinking long term and stumbled accross this neat little website called Mrs Survival and it was such a nice change from all the guy heavy sites with Rambo mentality that I just felt I'd come home. Little by little I got more serious about it. Now it's just a way of life for me :)

Well, since most of my prepping started after finding Mrs. S., I've managed to avoid a lot of mistakes. All thanks to you great peeps!!

Raw rice does not hurt birds. I have a poultry farm and feed raw rice occasionally to get rid of some i don't want. It is low protein, otherwise is fine. People in rice growing areas feed rice a lot and don't have any trouble.

When I first started prepping I didn't do anything funny. I was freaked out about Y2K and went and studied all I could about prepping before I did anything

But...a stupid thing I did was to buy too much rice and beans and then not understand how to store it properly. I was afraid to do it wrong so I kept a lot of rice in the freezer until I figured out where to get buckets and mylar bags.

Oh wait..I did do something funny...I ordered some pre-sealed buckets from Emergency Essentials and was worried when they arrived that seemed "concave" LOL (That means the air was sucked out by the O2 absorbers and all is just fine but it took me calling them to learn this little fact. The nice man on the phone tried hard not to laugh)

9-11 got my blood pressure up and worried so when my husband said get more food in the house I was ready. Went to the store and bought everything food wise I could think of put it under the guest bed and said well I feel a lot better.

Then I started to do research on the subject and found out I was really not prepared at all. I started going to sites about the bird flu and learned a lot and did a lot. One day Darlene posted on one of thoses sites about canning and mentioned Mrs S.so I checked it out and I was hooked.

Imagine me thinking the stuff under the guest bed was enough-------

What a hoot.

I've fed my chickens many a scoop of buggy rice.

Do make some "bean bags" with the stale rice, in various sizes, to use for heat bags. They are *wonderful* for this, especially with a bay leaf in them and a couple of drops of lavender essential oil on them.

I've put decades-old rice in a meatloaf, and nobody noticed.

Oh my. Well, back in . . . summer of 2005, something tickled my paranoia. I ran out to a local camping store and got a container of water purification tablets. Wooo, I felt better! Yeah!

The good news is, we're rather good on the long term stuff (food, medical), and the only thing we're not all set on yet is water (I've got a couple of good filters coming, though, which is the budget-busting part of the water situ.) Most of my current focus is learning skills, de-cluttering, and getting the BoBs in good shape.

One of the very first things I purchased was a #10 can of dehydrated onions. I didn't even know how to use them, and wondered why everything I put them in tasted so overwhelmingly ONION-Y!!! LOL Didn't know you were supposed to rehydrate them...then I stored them in the can for like two years with just its little whilte, plastic lid on it...then they didn't taste like anything! The other major mistake I made was buying 25 pounds of brown rice when neither I nor nobody else in my family eats it...after about a year, I opened it up (finally determined to use it) only to discover it had gone rancid. WHOOPS! I put it in my garden hoping to enrich the soil -- don't know if it will or not, but if it does at least it won't be totally wasted!

putting rice and grains in the freezer.... never thought of that.

as for Y2K, I did nothing. Didnt think anything would happen and I was right...........this time.

9/11, started getting ready for who knows what. its going slowly, but its going!

Robie