MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has Anyone Here Experienced Swine Flu

Staceyy

Dh became very ill last night with feverish aches and pains. He said its the worse he's ever felt. I loaded him up with garlic (5 chopped cloves) and Vitamin C. This morning he was feeling better. Dh delivers to shopping malls all day. I'm now getting sniffles. I'm wondering if anyone here or someone in your immediate family has had swine flu? Can you tell me what the onset was like, what the duration was like, what measures you took and how long it latest? Thanks!

I was sent this information about cold versus flu. Sorry if it prints out weird. It is actually a table.

Symptom

Cold

Flu

Fever

Fever is rare with a cold

Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flue cases. A temperature of 100F or higher for 3-4 days is associated with the flu.

Coughing

A hacking, productive (mucus-producing) cough is often present with a cold.

A nonproductive (non-mucus producing cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

Aches

Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.

Severe aches and pains are common with the flu.

Stuffy Nose

Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously with a week.

Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu/

Chills

Chills are uncommon with a cold

60% of people who have the flu experience chills.

[/size]

Tiredness

Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.

Tiredness is moderate to severe with the flu.

Sneezing

Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.

Sneezing is not common with the flu.

Sudden Symptoms

Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.

The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flue hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

Headache

A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold..

A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

Sore Throat

Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.

Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu.

My grandson is just getting over it but he has an ear infection also. He had a runny nose and cough and a temp. Not sure about aches and pains hes only 3 yrs. old and has autism so he really has a high tolerance for pain.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I remain lucky so far --- had our season flu shot yesterday. Our greatgrandson has been sick for well over a week - tho not severely. It started out with vomiting, diarrhea, high fever (as high as 104) for several days. Lots of coughing. He was tested for swine flu, but the quick test at the doctor came up negative for swine flu. The doctor said they were getting a lot of faulse negative results and that he thought it WAS, in fact, swine flu. The little fellow slept a lot and was very sedentary -- and he usually is a "live wire". His baby sister, mom and dad all had much milder sickness which followed his onset by 5-6 days. His 5 year-old sister stayed with us to try to avoid getting sick. She went home today. Hope we waited long enough for her to avoid it.

My neighbor was sick with the swine flu for more than a week. He lost a lot of weight, couldn't sleep or eat. I talked to him yesterday when he ventured out of the house -- he said he needed to go tend the cattle (or something, I can't remember exactly). Anyways, it sounded like something foolish to do, to me -- so I told him so. Told him that some people had gotten to feeling better and then got really sick again. His daughter told my husband today that they think he might have pneumonia. Man, o' man. the coming prospects are scarey. I won't like being sick, ya know, but, I just want to survive! Everyone just needs to be careful and stay on top of things....hope the doctors don't get too overwhelmed to be able to handle the load.

There are several swine flu variants in circulation now.

Take your garlic and your C.

What dosing are you using? Stocked up on the C but not garlic. Assuming as preventative now,then as treatment aid if needed? If so how much extra would you recommend and for how many days?

Our friend's child just had the swine flu (confirmed) last week. She is recovering well. My friend said that it was much milder than the flu she had a couple years ago. I have also been sick all week, and was tested for the flu, but it came back negative. I was told I just have a cold, but it has been bad. Mine started with mild sore throat, severe sore throat, congestion and sneezing, fever from 99 - 100, chills, aching and tired, headache and vomiting and now diarhea. I am just now feeling better today. This was really bad for being "just a cold." I have been in bed since Monday. I am wondering if I had the flu. My fever never went over 100 though.

It sure helped to have products stocked like crackers, gatorade, gingerale and meds on hand. My son made me lime jello which I am eating today. Stay healthy everyone! It is going to be a rough winter.

My sisters two boys 4 and 6 years old have been very sick in the hospital for a week now. They are both on oxygen. She overheard the nurses say that they had checked for swine flu, but the doctor refuses to tell her anything. There are a lot of people walking around town with face masks on while they wait for the results of the swine flu test. But what is really worrysome is that we have a very nasty strain of viral pneumonia going around right now too.

There are several swine flu variants in circulation now.

Take your garlic and your C.

What dosing are you using? Stocked up on the C but not garlic. Assuming as preventative now,then as treatment aid if needed? If so how much extra would you recommend and for how many days?

I read when diseases are pandemic and you've contracted something, 4 to 5 large chopped garlic cloves a day are needed. To simply keep your immune system up when you are not ill, 1 chopped glove should be enough. I take Emergen-C for vitamin C, which comes in 1,000 mg doses. I take several doses a day when I am not feeling well.

Well, I have no way of knowing WHAT exactly we have, because as of a couple of days ago our local hospitals are no longer testing for H1N1 unless you're very seriously ill or DEAD, but my husband and four of my children are now down with a pretty dreadful flubug. Fever at 102 or higher, achiness, deep barking cough, sore throat, runny nose. The news announced last night that if you have the flu, do NOT go to the hospital. Lovely. And when I called our doctor yesterday, the nurse gave me a recording of "What is the flu?" to listen to, instead of an appointment (I just wanted to know at what point do they WANT me to bring the sickies in?). They really don't want anyone out that might be even a little sick.

Pray that I and my one healthy child don't get this. I have to be able to take care of everyone, and so far I've only gotten about 4 hours' sleep each night for the last three nights.

I just came from a meeting with the charge nurses for our hospital. The ICU charge nurse told us she had been to a seminar given by an epidemiologist. She said those between the ages of 5 and 50 are at highest risk for swine flu complications. The stats are that 1 in every 10 people infected with swine flu end up in the ICU. Of those in the ICU, the mortality rate is 45%. She said you can look at the chest xrays of pts with swine flu and see an obvious difference. Those with the swine flu have lungs that "look like sponge bob" in her words. Also, the test for swine flu is not accurate. About 30% of those tested come back with FALSE NEGATIVES, and about another 30% come back inconclusive.

As for me personally, my son and my Dh have both had a flu of some sort. They weren't tested, but a lot of hospitals aren't testinG for swine flu except in the units, due to the enormous cost of sending in every test, as well as the inaccuracy. A school nurse I work with believes my son had swine flu. His symptoms were initially lethargy, and a headache. No fever at the outset, but the next morning his fever was over 102 degrees. He kept a fever for 4 days. He had no conjestion per sea, but his headache was bad enough to keep him from being able to open his eyes. My husband on the other hand, had the tiredness, mild headache, high fever (he had for 5 days), and extreme conjestion and cough. He wasn't able to sleep unless he was sitting straight up.

According ot another unit nurse I know there is no rhyme or reason for those who get a deadly version of it. It just happens.

Take your vitamins, wash your hands, hand sanitizer, bleach everything, and most of all, PRAY.

• 4 weeks later...

DS and I just got over it (confirmed) He fared better than I did (youth I guess). Been down for a week with it--but on the mend now!!! :bounce: nasty stuff!!!

My neice was just confirmed with it, one of a ton in her school. She has been cleared to go back to school on Thursday already. Several in the nearby small town have been confirmed. They are cleared to go back to work within a few days. They are not keeping them home long. :shrug:

DH has heavy coughing and had fever for several days but didn't go to the dr. to get it checked. He's better today. Here they are saying that the typical symptoms include 3 days of nausea, stomach distress, or diarrhea followed by the lung congestion. DH didn't have the first part but started with sneezing and head full and then going into lungs.

:bighug2:

3of my kids had it one was tested said he had the flu but was not sending it out since everyone they send out was swine flu.

1 kid started Thursday with a sore throat then had bad headaches, fever,cough,feeling yucky fever ;lasted 48 hours and by Sunday was better

2nd one started talking funny Friday by Saturday had a fever and craky by Tuesday better

3rd one started Monday chills , low fever, felt like she had to throw up doing better today

4th one was coughing a lot yesterday and a mild fever today.

Dr told me that it is not the flu that is killing people but the secondary illness that is doing it

if you get better then get sick again it is a secondary infection. to see a Dr right away

this is mild compare to last year. when they got the flu they where down for over a week i am so thankful to God for it being mild

i asked the Dr. how do they no that the swine flu was not out last year she said it could of been and no one new. last year was the first time in 37 years that i got the flu and the first time any of my kids got it.

make you wounder how long it has been out

A couple weeks ago both bosses (males) were confirmed via the nose swab and prescribed Tamiflu. They stayed out of the office after confirmation and it took them both down for a full week. At the same time they fell ill I had been battling sneezing, nasal drip, a sore throat, dry cough, headache, massive body aches (my most uncomfortable symptom), and low grade fever (101+), also had big time chills and sweats (second to the body aches, these were also bad). Because of my close proximity with them and only being an office of 4 total, I went to the doctor. Nose swab said negative, just a "respiratory infection" and I was prescribed a regular antibiotic and stayed out of the office for two days, just in case. I'm not convinced with the diagnosis, maybe I'm just too skeptical. I've had "respiratory"/sinus infections before and this didn't feel the same. One boss did develop a secondary (sinus) infection and had to get additional meds and the other boss, to this day, is still hacking and coughing. In almost 9 years I've never seen either one of them sick a day in their lives. I'm feeling better but their additional and continued symptoms are worrisome to me :huh: .

My Oldest daughter had fever 101.3 and chills, but what worried me most was her heart rate was 115. Her lungs were clear and she was getting good oxygen, but with that heart rate I jumped and ran to hospital ER. DX was type A flu and possibly a sinus infection since she had yellow green sputum on her tonsil. Got Tamiflu and Amox to take. by that evening she had bad head ache and Heart rate was up (due to pain and infection) Gave her good dose of ibuprophen and had her take deep breaths and pain med kicked in and heart rate slowed and she felt better. It was quick and short lasting, chills friday night but not much, Saturday night is when she stated she was sick, had a fever of 99.9, then Sunday morning we were in ER, so the tamiflu had that window it needs to work well. She stayed home Monday and was free of fever that morning and Tuesday, went back to school on Weds. She has not had test sent off to check for H1N1 because the hospital says it cost $400 and they would just treat it the same. And we had been on a regimine of vit C, probiotics, Vit d, vit b and she still got it. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughters family has the flu. They haven't tested to see if it is H1N1 or not, but they have been running fevers of 104 or even one of them with 105. A little over a week ago my son-in-law had a respiratory symptoms. He says he didn't have the flu. H1N1 has been identified where he works and there aren't that many employees there so he has been exposed. Last Friday, my oldest grandson became sick with his fever hitting 104. By Monday three more kids had it. As of yesterday the last of the kids started to run a fever. Because she has most of everything that she needs to care for it, the doctor ordered medicine but told her not to bring the kids in unless they started having problems breathing. She has four asthmatics in the house and two of the kids are severely immunodeficient so there is a lot of risk. I think my daughter has it to, but she denies it. She says she is only freezing because she isn't getting enough sleep and only tired from taking care of so many sick kids. She could be right, but she wouldn't admit it even if she was sick. I think it is strange that that her husband denies he could have brought it home. They home school and none of the kids have been out of the house, except to my place for weeks. She has been out to the store, but is just now starting to not feel good and I have been out of work, so except out with my daughter I haven't been out either. He on the other hand has been sick and it has been found at his work. Doesn't seem hard to figure out that it came from him.

The biggest worry has been two of the kids have started to have a barking type cough. Her aerosol machine was missing pieces so she couldn't give them treatments. We got the pieces she was missing yesterday and she started giving them treatments and they are doing better now. She may be right that her only problem is lack of sleep. Of course not only does her husband deny that he was sick, he is still going to work with everyone in his house sick. He does leave her to care for the kids and mostly stays in his room to not be exposed much, but even if he wasn't sick before, which he was, he is still risking spreading it out of the house.

This has hit them all bad, but the first to get it does seem to be doing better now. He has had no fever for two days now. Her doctor told her to keep them inside for 3 days after no fever with out medicine. She probably would have had to take them to the doctors but she has a good relationship with her doctor. The doctor knows what she has cared for with the kids in the past and knows that she has me to fall back on, so they said unless they need the hospital to stay put. However, her neice, also had caught the H1N1. I think they live in Florida. She ended up in ICU and almost died. It is deffinately scary.

Archived