MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Finding it hard to..

Christy

In two weeks time I hope to return to the retreat in Germany. This time I am finding it hard to mentally gear myself to go.

Not sure if it are the remains of the flu and the tiredness that come with it that are holding me back. It could be the idea of being pretty much alone (apart from the lovely neighbours) until mid december when I want to return. It could be that the eye is slowly deteriorating and I know it'll become harder to drive.

Perhaps all things combined leave me a bit depressed and reluctant to go.

Physically I'm not really up to the work that needs to be done there right now. Still, could be being tired from that nasty flu again.

Someone is coming over for a few days, both to help ( a lot of work is planned actually) and both to relax for that person. That is encouraging. Otherwise it would be tempting to stay in bed and wait till things feel better.

Today however I´ve kicked myself in the proverbial butt and made candied ginger again. And 3 liters of ginger syrup.

And pumpkinbread that smells absolutely delicious.

So perhaps it is a matter of counting my blessings and try to sleep the tiredness off.

Not having access to internet and at most one hour a week in the library is something I dread as well. Part of my social life does involve being here and at another forum. Hmm so perhaps it´s the being cut off from the world that makes me not look forward too much this time.

Ah well, it´ll be fine. The people there are so lovely and helpful. Can´t go wrong there.

Don't push yourself, hon. hug.gif

Work a half hour here and a half hour there. You'll be surprised how much will get done. I had to start doing that with my arthritis years ago ( it was either that or take a lot of medications my stomach didn't like.)

Not having internet access, could you return to writing notes? mail1.gif

A sheet of paper for each person you jot down thoughts on, and can either mail, or type in (or scan) when you have your hour on the computer.

Hi Leah, yes earlierthis year a few letters have been written. Mind you, that'll be easier now that one room is ready and has a diningtable in it to sit at.

Before it was hard to find a flat surface in the roadworker's trailer that was casa christy for a while :)

Maybe it's the being alone part that is hitting me harder now.

But, a card just arrived from the lovely neighbours there, for my birthday. She said she's waiting with the whole family for me to come back. Now that is heart-warming isn't it?

((((((((Christy))))))))

Are you really not wanting to go or is it more that you feel things are getting more serious and you think about really NEEDING to be there with it's isolation and all if the world situation gets worse? Sometimes we enjoy something a lot more when we WANT to do it rather than HAVE to do it. Perhaps this retreat has come to represent what you most fear but it really is a salvation too.

That said, it really is hard to get over that flu and get your strength back. Perhaps you should look at your retreat as a place to recuperate instead of a place that needs work. Even if it does, there is nothing that should force you to do more than you are capable of given the latest bout with flu.

I have been ill myself, very ill, so I know the feeling of weakness that can pervade a person. I also know the discouragement that comes with failing body parts,,,,,(darn body anyway ) We just have to work with what we are given. One thing I have done is to use my weakness as an excuse to do some research into natural health issues that might help me in the long run. You only have an hour or so on the Internet but perhaps you could find some books, even used maybe, to take with you to read as your eyes allow. Another thing I've done is to use this time to pursue some skills I've wanted to learn. I’ve been honing my weaving skills using ‘found’ items for both loom and warp, doing so with an eye to necessity weaving instead of pleasure. In other words, when I can’t “do”, I learn. Perhaps you can come up with a list of things you'd like to learn about, skills you might need in the future, or maybe you will need to think about what to do if you lose your eyesight in that eye, ways to compensate and etc. Sometimes just having a new interest will encourage enthusiasm.

Really though, I'm getting around to asking something of you. I'd love it if you would keep a sort of journal or at least jot down some of the things you think about, do, learn, and etc when you are at your retreat. I'm pretty sure that you have a wealth of knowledge and insight you could share about the area or about the possibilities of living there in a SHTF situation. It would be really interesting for us to read all about it when you return or in those times you are able to be online. As Leah says, maybe have a way to download the info easier with scan and enter or something. Do you have a manual typewriter? Laptop? (Can you tell I'm not exactly a computer expert? LOL) Even if you can't put that info here, can't you just imagine what great reference material that would be for you later on? It might be a good time to make a make a list of all the info you might need if you couldn’t access the Internet ever again.

Please, take heart. Don't worry about your lack of energy or your discouraged feelings. I’m sure you will be able to find a way to make the trip if you really feel you need to be there and you can rest once there. It sounds like such a wonderful place even if it does need a lot of work yet.

:bighug2:

Thank you for all your encouraging words. Indeed I have kept a sort of diary in my agenda but will be keeping a proper account of happenings.

It is true that living totally offgrid, without solar panels or alternative energy, mimics a post-fall situation a bit. Still as long as there are shops with chocolate, it's not exactly total collapse :rolleyes:

Mother righly says that it is now not so much as building up only, it might be a case of really needing it. And being the only one there now and having the responsibility, it kinda scares me. If my family comes over cos it got too rough here, anything not in order is my shortcoming.

Yesterday DS and me had to go into town and I was overwhelmed by the amount of people, their radiating unhappiness, their thirst for material goods they could not afford... People coughing, sneezing, obviously ill and ignoring it.

Before I knew it tears were running down my face cos I had this recurring sense that the way life is now, might soon be about to change drastically.

Still, two of my looms are there and can be put together. Spinningwheels as well but spinning I still am no good at.

Boxs and boxes of yarn so no need to be bored :P

I am from the bottom of my heart grateful for having had the common sense to live frugal all my life and having saved every penny within reach.

Equally grateful for meeting the wonderful people here at MrsS and finding support, friendship and care.

Thank you all.

LOOMS????? LOOOMS??? I didn't know you were interested in weaving. COOL! :D I have several, all smallish, not floor looms but I love weaving on them and on various odds and ends as well. I would love to learn to spin, something I've never gotten into though working at a historical village museum as I did for years I certainly had the chance to learn. Perhaps this isn't the place to discuss them but can you tell us about your looms. Maybe you'd like to come to the Pioneer Living forum and 'talk' about weaving and spinning just to get us all in the mood!!!!

I'm glad you are finding some 'reasons' for making the trip this time. And I'm also glad you are journaling your experiences. I know what you mean though about feeling responsible for family if they end up staying with you in a SHTF situation. It really does feel like it's looming (no pun intended) closer and closer all the time if for no other reason than the fact that either everyone will be broke or sick in the near future. *groan* I've been focusing on flu preps lately.

If anyone would like too, I could post a pictorial on how to set up a loom.

I have currently two large floorlooms, a small table loom and a small floorloom.

All from elderly weavers who stopped weaving. In Holland you can't even give away these things.

They're sometimes being chopped up as firewood :0327:

One floorloom might be going to the USA soon together with one spinningwheel. A military person stationed in Germany is supposed to pick it all up and take with him in a container for another person.

I desperately want her to have it, she really wants it, it's just a matter of this other person picking it up and shipping it along with the other household items when going back to the USA.

So I try to rescue looms and pass them on to others.

Apart from on a forum I never spoke about why I wanted to learn to weave and spin. Knitting, crochet and sewing we have all been taught from day one in our home. No biggie. My mom was an excellent handworkster in all those crafts.

One of my sisters could needlepoint for the olympics. I am no match for her at all.

Currently there is a very fine weave on the tableloom. Sadly I cannot see well enough to weave it anymore.

Going to try something with a HUGE magnifier or a pair of binoculairs strapped to my head next :D

AUDIO-BOOKS!!!!

Hearing those superfine audio-book voices, and being intellectually entertained at the same time might be just the ticket!

Don't push yourself. All that work will still be there when you get better, 'tain't going nowhere, nohow.

I have not yet read this whole thread, 'cause I can't sit for long...but just wanna let you know that I hope you can keep in touch best you can!

Thinking of you often, with lots of hugs, kisses and misses,

Sharon

Christy, seeing how to set up a loom, especially in pictures, would be great. I would love a floor loom and have woven on one many many times at the museum but have no room for one in our small home. Come on over to Pioneer Living and start something there and I'll join you. :D

...chopped up as firewood?????? AACK!!! Hey try putting a few of those 'rescued' looms in 2bits4bits. What would it seriously cost to ship to USA? Prohibitive? :shrug: Store them as barter items in the rough times to come????? ANYthing but firewood. :0327:

Hope you will be feeling rested and not so pushed once you actually get there. Sounds like very sweet neighbors. Christy, it's been very interesting to read about your experiences. Please keep posting when you can. :D

MtRider [....walks off muttering about chopping up such precious items..... kicks rock....hmph! ]

...chopped up as firewood?????? AACK!!! Hey try putting a few of those 'rescued' looms in 2bits4bits. What would it seriously cost to ship to USA? Prohibitive? :shrug: Store them as barter items in the rough times to come????? ANYthing but firewood. :0327:

Yes my sentiments exactly. My heart bled when I saw how old looms were not bought and then thrown away or used to light a fire with.

They cost an absolute fortune and that's why I want this person stationed in Germany to pick up the loom and spinningwheel (that one I bought at a jumblesale on purpose for this person) to take with him and give to the intentioned receiver(es).

Shipping goes by weight and would be horrible. If anyone knows of more military personnel in Germany that are going back to the USA, give us a shout. If they'd be willing to ship it in their container it'd make the intended receiver very happy.

Mt, thank you for saying you find my posts interesting. I think it's no biggie and I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Will post something about a loom in the Pioneer Living.

th_FALLGOODMORNING1.gif

Hope you are feeling better by now.

If you could set up a pictorial on how to set up a loom, that would be great. Could you put it in the 'Homemade Memories', forum?? That would be great. :)

Again, :pray: you are feeling much better now.

th_FALLHUGSBEAR.gifth_HAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

Snowmom, it's in Pioneer Living along with some freebee looms (if anyone can handle shipping).

Archived