MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Kathleeen

Can you can Butternut Squash Soup?

The National Center for Home Food Preservation does not recommend canning squash. But is doesn't say anything about soup. The site is http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

I will defer and let Violet, C4C, or anyone with more experience answer that. Sorry it's not more help.

I would think no, as squash may be like pumpkin, and only cubed pumpkin is safe to can. But I'd like to hear what Violet has to say.

I pressure can the squash in cubes like pumpkin, then use it in soup later on. (I"m not freezing soup.....not after that long power outage last year, LOL)

You can can your broth, your squash and pumpkin, then it is easy to quickly make soup from those and adding other ingredients when you want the soup. it's not the same as making it fresh, but it is pretty good.

Edited by JCK88

Nope, the squash soup is a 'no no'. You can freeze it though.

The problem is with the density. We can't accurately measure the temperature inside the dense soup and raise it to a safe level. Some might think it okay with a pressure canner, but please double check the BBB.