MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Our city handing out Ready kits

MomM

Last Thursday evening, a local TV station hosted a Town Hall on H1N1 with a panel of experts. Lasted an hour, and good info given. I was disappointed that the audience was small, hoping the TV audience was much larger. DH and I watched it together. The next day on the 5 p.m. news broadcast on the same station, they mentioned that the local Emergency Management Agency were handing out free "Ready Kits". I found their number and called the EMA on Monday morning to verify: that they had kits to be given out, and if I could pick some up for my children. They did and I could have as many as I wanted. So, I made a list of who to pick them up for and went that morning. She asked me how many I needed, and I asked how many could I have. I asked for 50, she had 40 put together so I took the 40; and asked I could call her back in a couple of weeks to see if she had any left that I could come back for. She said I could. I'm giving them to our 5 children, their in-laws, our parish nurses (I work with them regarding pandemic planning for our church), our church staff, my quilt group, and my neighbors. If I can go back for more, will get them for our senior parishoners, DH's dulcimer group, and his co-workers. The city received a grant for these kits, and I'm quite ready to do my part in getting them distributed. They have a list of suggested items to have in the bag (and suggerst a plastic container for the excess items) plus a 4 pg handout of how to get ready for diasters (Make a Plan and Write it Down, Make a Ready Kit,Stay Infomed, and Get Involved), info on H1N1 info, handout on how to make an emergency communications plan, and organizing escape routes from you home, and a Emergency Preparedness Guide, and a small FM radio with 2 batteries. The bag is like an oversize totebag made out of the fabric like WalMart uses for their shopping bags that you can buy for under $1 each. Now, if they can do some really good PR so people will go pick them up and use them.

Each bag contains: a 4 pg handout of how to get ready for diasters (Make a Plan and Write it Down, Make a Ready Kit,Stay Infomed, and Get Involved), info on H1N1 , handout on how to make an emergency communications plan, and organizing escape routes from you home, and a Emergency Preparedness Guide, and a small FM radio with 2 batteries.

Each bag contains: a 4 pg handout of how to get ready for diasters (Make a Plan and Write it Down, Make a Ready Kit,Stay Infomed, and Get Involved), info on H1N1 , handout on how to make an emergency communications plan, and organizing escape routes from you home, and a Emergency Preparedness Guide, and a small FM radio with 2 batteries.

I'm interested in what they say you should have in the "ready kit"? I fixed one as advised here, but wondered what they suggested.

On the outside of the Ready Kit bag they have printed:

Use this bag to get started on your Ready Kit. Store larger items in a plastic container.

Copy of Emergency Wallet Card

Water Supply (3 days) 3 gallons for each person

Food -3 day supply Non-perishable

Manual Can Opener (if you have canned food)

Mess Kit - plates, cups, utensils

Prescription Medications

Cash & Coins

FM Radio & Batteries

Weather Radio and Batteries

Flashlight & Batteries

Crank or Solar Cell Phone Charger

Infant Items - Diapers, Formula, Bottles

Items for Elderly - Hearing Aid, Walker, Cane

First Aid Kit - Include over the counter medications - Tylenol, Kaopectate, Benadryl, Sunscreen, Cold and Flu Medications

Zip-lock Bags and Trash Bags

Glasses, Contacts & Solution

Copies of Important Documents - Insurance, Will, Birth Certificates, Photo ID & Drivers License

Tools - Wrench, Pliers, Multi-tool

Waterproof matches

Pet items - Food, Water, Carrier

Chlorine Bleach and Medicine Dropper

Paper & Pencil

Emergency reference Books

Children's - Coloring Books, Games, Puzzles, Stuffed Animal

Change of Clothing & shoes for Hot and Cold Weather

Blankets or Sleeping Bags and Pillows

Hygiene Items - Soap, Shampoo, Tooth Brush, Toothpaste, Deodorant, Tissue Paper, Hand Sanitizer,

Feminine Products

When I get a chance, I'll look at the flyers enclosed and see what they suggest, and post that info

Archived