MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Letter from my DS School

ntjpm

Yipee, here is the email I received yesterday from my DS school (he is in 7th grade). Also got basicily the same thing from the district. So much fun.

September 22, 2009

Dear XXXX families,

As you know, our school district is working closely with public health officials to monitor and respond to the flu in our community. The XXXX Health District asks all schools to let them know whenever at least 10% of our students are absent due to illness. This helps them track illnesses across the county. I wanted to let you know that we have reached the 10% absenteeism level at XXXXXl.

This information isn't intended to alarm you. It is not unusual for us to have days where 10% of our students are absent during the flu season, and there is no way for us to know how many of these absences are the regular seasonal flu and how many might be related to H1N1. I just wanted you to know that the flu is going around our school.

It is important for you to know that local, state and national health officials are NOT recommending that schools close due to flu-like illnesses at this time. So school will remain open, but we are asking you to please monitor your child's health.

If your child is showing flu-like symptoms - which include a fever of 100 degrees or more, sore throat, body aches, and possibly vomiting or diarrhea - please keep them at home until they are feeling better and have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.

If you have children or family members with asthma, diabetes, or other medical conditions that put them at higher risk, please talk with your health care provider about their needs during the flu season.

Please know that we are doing everything we can XXXXXXl to minimize transmission of the flu. Of course, the most important things we can all do to stay healthy are to wash our hands often, cover our cough, and stay home when we are ill. Please have a plan in place in case you or a family member becomes ill and needs to stay home.

Thank you for partnering with us to help maintain healthy schools.

At this point I am still sending my DS but we are taking daily doses of Elderberry, Vit D and multi Vit. I feel like my only other alternative is to keep him and his brother home for the next 6 months. And I just can't do that at this point, i am also thinking that since they do NOT have any other medical concerns it might be better for them to get it now than in the 3rd or 4th wave. Man it is just such a crap shoot, I hate this............................

Stay well everyone.

Tracy in WA

Gracious me, hon, they've hit 10% aleady??? And it's only September!! :( I DO hope that your kiddos stay healthy and well and that they don't get the flu. Just to let you know, H1N1 has already pretty much ousted any "seasonal" flu viruses...so it's likely that most, if not all, of the flu present at the school is H1N1. Blessings to you, hon.

Turtlemama

Yipee, here is the email I received yesterday from my DS school (he is in 7th grade). Also got basicily the same thing from the district. So much fun.

September 22, 2009

Dear XXXX families,

As you know, our school district is working closely with public health officials to monitor and respond to the flu in our community. The XXXX Health District asks all schools to let them know whenever at least 10% of our students are absent due to illness. This helps them track illnesses across the county. I wanted to let you know that we have reached the 10% absenteeism level at XXXXXl.

This information isn't intended to alarm you. It is not unusual for us to have days where 10% of our students are absent during the flu season, and there is no way for us to know how many of these absences are the regular seasonal flu and how many might be related to H1N1. I just wanted you to know that the flu is going around our school.

It is important for you to know that local, state and national health officials are NOT recommending that schools close due to flu-like illnesses at this time. So school will remain open, but we are asking you to please monitor your child's health.

If your child is showing flu-like symptoms - which include a fever of 100 degrees or more, sore throat, body aches, and possibly vomiting or diarrhea - please keep them at home until they are feeling better and have been fever-free for at least 24 hours.

If you have children or family members with asthma, diabetes, or other medical conditions that put them at higher risk, please talk with your health care provider about their needs during the flu season.

Please know that we are doing everything we can XXXXXXl to minimize transmission of the flu. Of course, the most important things we can all do to stay healthy are to wash our hands often, cover our cough, and stay home when we are ill. Please have a plan in place in case you or a family member becomes ill and needs to stay home.

Thank you for partnering with us to help maintain healthy schools.

At this point I am still sending my DS but we are taking daily doses of Elderberry, Vit D and multi Vit. I feel like my only other alternative is to keep him and his brother home for the next 6 months. And I just can't do that at this point, i am also thinking that since they do NOT have any other medical concerns it might be better for them to get it now than in the 3rd or 4th wave. Man it is just such a crap shoot, I hate this............................

Stay well everyone.

Tracy in WA

Yea and I forgot to say that there are over 600 kids in his school.. And I think that 10% number is low. One of my DS teacher told him there were over 100 kids out sick. :o

Lots of praying and gnashing of teeth. Thanks for your well wishes we shall see how it goes.

Tracy in WA

Our school has a case of H1N1 in the kindergarten. In the state university that is in town, this is the stats:

As of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, there were 326 active cases of suspected flu among "the University" students, with about 50 additional students per day reporting having flu-like symptoms, spokeswoman said.

I've heard that up to 90% of the absent students in our school district are suspected of having H1N1. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I do know that we are up to 14-20% absentee in our schools, right now. Scary.

It's become rampant here in Idaho, too. The High school 1.5 miles from me has had 500 students (out of around 3000) with it as of a week ago, including my neice. The doctor told her that if she felt up to it, go to school, not to worry about infecting others, because it's everywhere. If they don't get it from you, they'll get it from someone else. My neice has since recovered. A woman DH works with has a daughter at a different school who came down with it Fri, so assume it's all through the community.

I am just waiting for it to hit us. Not looking forward to it, especially for my 6 mo baby and my diabetic dh.

Archived