MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 8:18-19

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

This morning my prayer is that of asking You to do the work that needs to be done in me. Work the circumstances in my life that will cause me to trust and be willing to let You do all that You have destined for my life.

I'm very dissatisfied with 'my' will this morning and You know my heart genuinely desires Your will. I don't know how to 'get there', but You know exactly how to bring me to that position that You created me for. It's a little skerry writing those words, making that commitment, but is testimony to the fact of how tired I am of 'my way'.

I love You, I need You and I am so grateful You're my God and my Heavenly Father.

In Jesus Name I pray,

18. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward.

19. For the earnest expectation of the creation is waiting for the revealing of the sons of God.

The rvbv writes: "The word I reckon (logidzomai), is a favorite with Paul. I expresses faith in action. Paul had known abundant sufferings: read II Corinthians Eleven, and all his epistles. But like our Lord, "the File-Leader" (archegos - Heb. 12:2) of the column of believers, who endured the cross in view of the joy set before Him, despising the shame, Paul "reckoned" in view of the coming glory: which should be the constant attitude of all of us.

The sufferings of this present time - "This present time"; it is necessary to have God's estimate of these days in which we live or we will be deluded into man's false thoughts. Note: "this present evil age" (Gal. 1:4); "the days are evil"; "this darkness" (Eph. 5:16, 6:12); "the distress that is upon us"; "the fashion of this world is passing away" (I Cor. 7:26, 31).

Are not to be compared with the glory - These words need to be pondered in view of passages like Hebrews 11:35-38; "tortured...mockings and scourgings...bonds and imprisonment, stone...sawn asunder...tempted...slain with the sword...went about in sheepskins, in goatskins...destitute, afflicted, evil-treated...wandering [through] the earth." In spite of the horrors of the days of Nero, Diocletian and the rest; and the nameless terrors of the Spanish Inquisition: the "glory which shall be revealed" so swallows up these brief earthly troubles, that they shall not be named nor remembered in that day when Christ shall come.

It is difficult, impossible, to depict in language all of, or any real measure of, what is meant by the glory which shall be revealed toward us. In fact, as we know, we are to be glorified with Christ, to share His glory, and appear with Him in glory. (The expression "the glory which shall be revealed toward us," is translated "in us" in the King James. The preposition (eis) is used twice, for example, in II Thess. 2:14: "Unto which also He called you through our gospel unto the obtaining of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ." This "glory" is to be revealed "to usward": not only to us, but in us, and therefore through us, to an astonished universe; and that forever!) In Colossians 3:4 we read, "When Christ, who is our life, shall be manifested, then shall ye also with Him be manifested in glory:; and in II Thessalonians 1;10: "When He shall come to be glorified in His saints, and to be marveled at in all them that believed." Such passages show that not only will the saints behold Christ's glory, but, beholding, they will share that glory, and be glorified with Him. This is the great object before God's mind now, to "bring many sons unto glory" (Heb. 2:10), that they may be conformed to Christ's image (Rom. 8:29).

In constant view of that glory to be revealed in and through the Church, the sufferings which God called the saints to go through, no matter what they were, seemed as nothing.

In verse 19, Watchman Nee comments on a couple of words found therein:

"earnest/anxious": "Lit., watching with head outstretched, with full concentration."

"revealing/revelation": "An unveiling or appearing of something previously covered or hidden. Although we are the sons of God, we are veiled, not yet revealed. At the Lord's second coming, when we will be glorified and our bodies will be fully redeemed, the veil will be lifted. The creation is eagerly awaiting this. This revelation will be the consummation of the process of designation that we are now passing through."

The rvbv writes, "The world knows nothing of this astonishing verse. All the saints should always have it in rememberance! Man's philosophy and science, taught in their schools, continually prate of "evolution" and "progress" in the present creation. And they go back in pure imagination millions of years and forward millions of years, telling you confidently how things came to be, and when, and what they will come to be; but they know nothing. Here God tells us unto what creation is coming - for what it is waiting: "earnestly." Whether inanimate things on earth (for even the rocks and hills shall sing for joy shortly!) or whether the moving creatures on earth or sea; or whether, may we say, the hosts on high - all are waiting in expectation for that "unveiling of the sons of God." For the word here translated "revealing" is apokolupsis, a removal of a covering, - as when some wonderful statue has been completed and a veil thrown over it, people assemble for the "unveiling" of this work of art. It will be as when sky rockets are sent up on a festival night: rockets which, covered with brown paper, seem quite common and unattractive, but up they are sent into the air and then they are revealed in all colors of beauty, and the multitude waiting below shout in admiration. Now the saints are wrapped up in the common brown paper of flesh, looking outwardly like other folks. But the whole creation is waiting for their unveiling at Christ's coming, for they are connected with Christ, one with Him, and are to be glorified with Him at His coming."

Heavenly Father,

May Your Spirit move in the hearts and minds of all that read today's study...bringing to mind constantly throughout the day Your love and provision for all of us, that You gave in Christ Jesus.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,