MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluegrassmom

Another shade vs. full sun question

I am going to be getting some blackberry and blueberry bushes this weekend. Almost every area on my property gets a half day sun and half day shade. There is no other option. Does anyone know if blueberries & blackberries would do good in these conditions?

I don't know about blueberries, but I do have Blackberries, and we've also got a rather shady lot. It took a couple years to get established, but not that it has, it's doing well. Make sure your soil is well prepared, and give it some long-term fertilizer in the spring. Otherwise, just make sure it gets well watered, esp. once the fruits start to grow. My blackberries this year were plump and juicy, sweet with a slight lemony tang. They're best if you don't pick them until they just about fall into your hand-- that's when they're sweetest.

Alot would depend on when they are in the sun.

If they get shade all morning and then are blasted with the hot afternoon sun, they may not do so well. Morning/early afternoon sun would be better.

I am going to be getting some blackberry and blueberry bushes this weekend. Almost every area on my property gets a half day sun and half day shade. There is no other option. Does anyone know if blueberries & blackberries would do good in these conditions?

My blueberries get a lot of sun. The tree line is way back from the bushes. They seem to really like it. ( we also use a lot of pine needles and sawdust for mulch as they like acidic soil.)

Blackberries... ours are wild. The "tame" ones died off the first year. This year with all the ra*n, we had a bumper crop of blackberries. ( Made up for the wild turkeys eating all my blueberries ! lol ) I did observe that the "best" blackberry bushes were on the East side of the trees. Few bushes did anything on the west sides. A very few on the South sides and quite a few on the North. The ones closest to pine trees had the largest berries. So...East side next to pine...bingo: good berries.!

as always, this could be different for someone else. Mea.

I've spent a lot of time with blackberries. The fruit in dappled shade or with afternoon shade is more than twice as big as the fruit in full sun or in afternoon sun (about as bad). Fruit in full sun is often tough and tasteless.

Blackberry leaves make good tea.

My blueberries get a lot of sun. The tree line is way back from the bushes. They seem to really like it. ( we also use a lot of pine needles and sawdust for mulch as they like acidic soil.)

Blackberries... ours are wild. The "tame" ones died off the first year. This year with all the ra*n, we had a bumper crop of blackberries. ( Made up for the wild turkeys eating all my blueberries ! lol ) I did observe that the "best" blackberry bushes were on the East side of the trees. Few bushes did anything on the west sides. A very few on the South sides and quite a few on the North. The ones closest to pine trees had the largest berries. So...East side next to pine...bingo: good berries.!

as always, this could be different for someone else. Mea.

I have the same experience with blueberries and blackberries. My blackberries are wild and they are on the east side of the tree line so they don't get any afternoon sun but plenty of morning sun. I also have some that are in areas that only get sun during the middle of the day. Must not be too bad since they produce well but they only get sun for a few hours.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.