MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 8:26-27

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

This morning You have been burdening my heart to get more and more into Your Word. While it's good to fellowship with other believers, talking about our Heavenly Father and all that You are...and while it's good to sit under a minister that has been chosen by You to preach Your Word, more than both those things, it's important and critical that we get into Your Word ourselves, alone except for me and You, You and us.

There are times I'll just open Your Word and read a passage and wonder what does it REALLY mean. And then I'll listen to a pastor preach on a portion of Scripture and be in awe at what You cause him to 'see'...even though things in the Old Testament might have happened thousands and thousands of years ago, the principles that sometimes are hiden are so incredibly appropriate for all of us today. But I don't always 'see' that myself, which in turn, undermines my confidence and causes me to rely more on pastors I trust, to interpret Your Word in the depth that is contained herein.

But this morning, while I need to continue to do all that, You have been burdening my heart to trust that You will reveal at times, through the power of Your Holy Spirit, things hidden in Your Word that at first glance, might not be apparent.

I guess what I'm asking Father is that as I feel You drawing me to get even more into Your Word, that I need You to open my spiritual eyes, that I might see...that the precious minutes and hours that we have in our todays, that we probably take for granted most times, would be an accelerated time of learning, understanding, comprehending during the time that I, and we, spend reading Your Word.

While we have no true comprehension of exactly what is coming in our immediate tomorrows, I believe that the power, the strength, the peace, the joy, the knowledge, the trust, the 'everything' that we will need, is found in Your Word. So, as I continue to work on this Romans study, I'm going to branch out into other books too on my own, seeking to spiritually feed this hunger that You are increasing inside my heart.

Annoint today's study and may it bring glory and honor to You because my heart desires that, because I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

26. And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit Himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered!

27. And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to God.

Watchman Nee comments on a few words in the 26th verse:

"In like manner": "In like manner indicates that prior to the help of the Spirit mentioned in this verse, there was already another help of the Spirit, which must be the help rendered to us by the Spirit as the firstfruits mentioned in v. 23. This is confirmed by the fact that both v. 23 and this verse speak of our groaning."

"weakness": "The weakness here is our ignorance of how we should pray. We do not know the kind of prayer God desires, and we are not clear how to pray, according to the burden we feel, for our being conformed to the image of God's Son; hence, we groan (v. 23). In our groaning the Spirit groans also, interceeding for us. His interceeding is mainly that we may experience the transformation in life for growth into the maturity of sonship that we may be fully conformed to the image of God's Son."

The rvbv writes: "And in like manner also - We have just read that "we that have the firstfruits of the Spirit groan within ourselves," waiting for that blessed day of "the liberty of the glory of the sons of God." These words "in like manner," refer to that operation within us of the Spirit, which makes us, in real sympathy, one with the groaning creation about us. "In like manner," then, with this truly wonderful help, the Spirit "helps our infirmity," - in its ignorant and infirm dealing with God. Note, the word "infirmity" is singular number: for we have nothing but infirmity! We know not how to pray as we ought. Oh, beware of the glib and intimate chatter of the "midernist" preacher in his prayers! He would flatter both the Almighty and his hearers, and most of all, himself, in his "beautiful" and "eloquent" addresses to God! Not so with Paul, and the real saints of God, who have the Holy Ghost. There is with them the sense of utter and boundless need, and along with this the sense of ignorance and inability. Yet, still, bless God! there is, with all this, the sense of the limitless help of the Holy Spirit!

The Spirit Himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered - We know that Christ maketh intercession for us at the right hand of God, but where the Spirit is making intercession within us: The Spirit, who knows the vast abysmal need of every one of us, knows that need to the least possible particular.

Groanings which cannot be uttered - expresses at once the vastness of our need, our utter ignorance and inability, and the infinite concern of the blessed indwelling Spirit for us. "Groanings" - what a word! and to be used of the Spirit of the Almighty Himself! How shallow is our appreciation for what is done, both by Christ for us, and by the Spirit within us!

Which cannot be uttered - Here then, are needs of ours, of which our minds know nothing, and which our speech could not utter if we could perceive those needs. But it is part of God's great plan in our salvation that this effectual praying should have its place - praying, the very meaning of which we cannot grasp. Men of God have testified to the spirit of prayer prostrating them into deep and often long-continued "groanings." We believe that such consciousness of the Spirit's praying within us is included in this verse, but the chief or principal part of the Spirit's groaning within us, perhaps never reaches our spirit's consciousness."

In the 27th verse, Watchman Nee comments on a few more words contained therein:

"mind of the Spirit": "This is not the mind of the Spirit that is independent of us. It is the mind of the Spirit that has been mingled with our mind (v. 6) and has become a part of our heart. The Spirit not only has mingled Himself with our spirit; He has also mingled His mind with our mind."

"according to God": "The interceeding Spirit prays for us not according to something of God but according to God Himself, that we may be conformed to the image of God's Son."

The rvbv writes in verse 27: "It is God the Father here that is "searching the hearts." How we used to shrink from the thought of such Divine searching! But here God is "searching hearts" to know what is the mind of the indwelling, Holy Spirit concerning a saint, to know what the Spirit groans for, for that saint; in order that He may supply it.

For in the plan of salvation, God the Father is the Source, Christ the Channel, and the Spirit the Agent.

Because He maketh intercession for the saints according to God - We feel that the introduction of the words "the will of" before the word God, merely obscures the meaning. "According to God" - what an all-inclusive, blessed expression, enwrapping us as to our salvation and blessing, wholly in Divine love and power. We know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit makes intercession in us, "according to God," according to His nature (of which we are partakers); according to our needs, which He discerns; according to our dangers, which He foresees - according to all the desires He has toward us.

Heavenly Father,

As the storms approach us with a fury we can't even begin to comprehend, I ask, and thank You for Your peace that fills my heart.

I love the last sentence of today's study:

but the Spirit makes intercession in us, "according to God," according to His nature (of which we are partakers); according to our needs, which He discerns; according to our dangers, which He foresees - according to all the desires He has toward us.

It's all about You Father. May that comprehension grow in each of our hearts.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Very good thoughts!! Thanks...BUT

NOW, I'm glad to see that we are finally arrived at my very favorite verse of the whole Bible...Romans 8:28.

You've kept me waiting a LONG time....now, I'm expecting something wonderful with the next study!! (no pressure or anything). :wink (2):

• 1 month later...

the Chinese at the time were using crossbows which could penetrate armor or shields. they could rain hundred thousands of those things. the Romans or Alexander was superior in the battlefield. if the Chinese however were to fight the Romans or Alexander in melee they could win