MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

This Info. Was Sent To Me Today on H1N1

Katz25

This was e-mailed to me today. Some info. we all already know, but thought I'd share it anyway:

----- Original Message -----

Thought this was interesting enough to pass along.

[/size]

H1N1 Swine flu Prevention methods

With H1N1 and flu cases on the increase throughout our area. I found the article below very interesting.

Thought I would share with all of you.

With the constant fear of H1N1 symptoms, the following measures can be practiced by one and all. This is an information whic h I just received from my father who is a Consultant General Surgeon & Gastroenterologist, based in India and I do hope it could be beneficial to the students and their families alike.

Tamiflu does not kill but prevents H1N1 from further proliferation till

the virus limits it self in about 1-2 weeks (its natural cycle). H1N1, like other Influenza A viruses, only infects the upper respiratory tract and proliferates (only) there. The only portals of entry are the nostrils

and mouth/ throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it's almost

impossible not coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1

infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps - not fully highlighted in most official communications - and be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):

1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications) .

2. "Hands-off-the- face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe).

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don't trust salt ). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one.

Don't underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method..

4. Similar to 3 above, clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti or “Nasal Cleanse from Walgreens for $12) (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population. I recommend the netti pot from Walgreens as it comes with the salt packages. Use warm water and will really help your head washed out.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets make sure that it also has Zinc/biofl avonoids to boost absorption.

6. Drink as much of warm liquids as you can. Drinking warm liquids has he same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot srvive, proliferate or do any harm.

All these are simple ways to prevent, within means of most households,and certainly much less painful than to wait in long queues outside public hospitals.

:rolleyes: A local Dr. who specializes in respitory conditions held a small 'talk' for a few of us today that are also homeschoolers. He mentioned all of the above as well as taking 4000 units(?) of D3 daily and highly recommended that everyone get their Vit. D levels checked as most people are very deficeint. He said there was a recent study done at two very similar practices one Dr. gave all his patients D3 and the other Dr. did not. The Dr. that didn't give D3 had many flu cases and the one that did give all his patients D3 had NONE. His wife also recommended having echinacia/goldenseal and grapefruit seed extract on hand and to drink LOTS of water. Everyone in his family has their own neti pots and he even has one in his office as he is exposed thoughout the day by his patients.

He said that it is alarming that there are so many more cases so very early in the flu season, however, they aren't nearly as severe as they were expecting.

I had to leave early so missed the question and answer session. They had another hint that involved hydrogen peroxide but I missed it. :(

bb

thank you very much. :) It's rare that I find level-headed and straightforward info about H1N1, free of personal or political issues. May I ask the source? was this some kind of medical newsletter or a newspaper article that was forwarded?

There was no mention of the salt-to-water ratio for gargling or nasal wash. And I know some people find a saltwater nasal rinse dries them out. Any idea what the recommended ratio is? I've been using saline nasal spray (the kind you get at any drugstore) then blowing my nose. I'm wondering if that has the same effect?

I know my ENT doctor says to use 1 pint warm water, 1 tsp. salt (canning salt is best, no additives) and 1 tsp. baking soda. You can add a tsp. white corn syrup if you want, but I never do. It is supposed to just make it taste better, I was told.

This is so cheap and easy. You mix it yourself. Why pay for that expensive saline wash in the store when you can make it yourself. I mix up equal amounts in a little container and have it ready to add to the warm water. I shake before I use the dry mix. I only mix up a cup of water and 1 tsp. of the dry mix at once so it is fresh and clean each time. I keep a special jar in my bathroom just for this.

The saline spray is not the same. Won't rinse,cleanse, and moisturize the same at all.

You can even just get a cheap $1 baby nasal bulb syringe and use it for the nasal wash. The Neti pot or other things are not necessary if you don't want the expense.

You can gargle with diluted peroxide and also use as a mouth rinse. Makes a good thing to use for an ear infection, too.

At our meeting today the Dr's wife recommended 1 rounded tsp. of course/kosher salt to 2 cups of water. She said if you had regular salt it would be 1/2 tsp to two cups of water. I asked about the saline nasal sprays as I don't think I could get my dd's to use a neti pot and they said it would probably be helpful but not as effective as a full cup of water through each nostril with the neti pot.

The Dr. also told us that if you consume more than 24 tsp. of sugar per day you decrease your immune systems ability to fight disease by more than 90%. A can of pop is 16 tsp.

I saw the same information somewhere yesterday but will have to see if I can find it again.

Blessings,

bb

I know my ENT doctor says to use 1 pint warm water, 1 tsp. salt (canning salt is best, no additives) and 1 tsp. baking soda.

At our meeting today the Dr's wife recommended 1 rounded tsp. of course/kosher salt to 2 cups of water. She said if you had regular salt it would be 1/2 tsp to two cups of water.

You've both said the same ratio (1 pint = 2 cups), so that's good for me. :) thanks. :)

I asked about the saline nasal sprays as I don't think I could get my dd's to use a neti pot and they said it would probably be helpful but not as effective as a full cup of water through each nostril with the neti pot.
I have a small netti pot with the unfortunate name of "nasal douche" (I don't think they thought that one through. ;) ) it's small, about the size 2 chapstick containers, and made of glass. It might be more manageable for your daughter than a standard "genie lamp" netti pot. but I've only used it with plain water.

This is so cheap and easy. You mix it yourself. Why pay for that expensive saline wash in the store when you can make it yourself.
I keep saline in my emergency kits anyway so I had it handy. The climate is so dry here that it can do a number on your nasal passages. I find that its easier to have the small bottles and the spray-or-droplet nozzle than a regular container, and I only go through about a bottle a year so the expense isn't bad. But I can try the homemade method in the empties once I use them up. :)

You can gargle with diluted peroxide and also use as a mouth rinse. Makes a good thing to use for an ear infection, too.
I know that's recommended for mouth sores or cuts to help with healing. I hadn't heard of that before as a flu preventative measure.

The Dr. also told us that if you consume more than 24 tsp. of sugar per day you decrease your immune systems ability to fight disease by more than 90%. A can of pop is 16 tsp.
For some people sugar, specifically high fructose sugar, can have detrimental effects. It's recently been linked as a possible contributing factor to alzheimers and early aging on the body. It depends on the individual's constitution. For some like myself it's not good, for others it doesn't seem to cause problems.

I just did some googling for some more research.

re: saline spray for H1N1

I could not find anything stating using the spray is useless. Actually I found the opposite: saline spray followed by blowing the nose (that part seems important) was continually mentioned on many sources as being helpful for prevention or treatment of symptoms. It was stated to be especially helpful for children as an alternative to other measures they might not tolerate. So while a nasal wash is likely more effective for obvious reasons, it doesn't appear that there is any reason to ditch the spray if you have it. The spray may be a good thing to have while away from home, since many can't easily dart into the office bathroom and use a netti at work.

NOTE: something my doctor had told me previously -- do not touch the spray nozzle to the inside of the nose itself. You don't want to get germs or bacteria onto the nozzle itself as that will just contaminate the container. The nozzle should sort of hover below the nostril, then you spray upward into the nose. Or tilt the head and squeeze droplets into the nostrils.

re: gargling with hydrogen peroxide for H1N1

I could not find this mentioned on any medical sites as a preventative flu measure, nor on the CDC or on Flu.gov. I did find it anecdotally mentioned on a form post here or there, but never with any details on the % (which is important), nor documentation/source, nor mention of being instructed to do this by a doctor. This doesn't mean it can't be helpful and if caution is used I can't see that it would be harmful. But I thought I should point out the lack of evidence for it because it's possible the treatment helps with other flues but is not effective on H1N1 in particular.

The only instance I found was for treatment (not prevention) of flu, but there's some good, detailed information there including risks. It's for drinking, but should work for gargling as well so I wanted to share it:

Hydrogen peroxide therapy for the flu

Drinking hydrogen peroxide

Another way to treat the flu is to
drink diluted hydrogen peroxide.

For this, you should rightly use food grade hydrogen peroxide. However, this comes in very strong concentrations of 35%, compared with just 3% in the case of pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide. Food grade hydrogen peroxide is difficult to obtain and, because of the high concentration, requires very careful handling. It can burn the skin. And it must be very highly diluted before it is safe to drink.

Ordinary hydrogen peroxide bought from the pharmacy contains chemical stabilisers that are toxic, so rightly speaking you should not drink it,

Personally, I make a compromise here because I take very very little of it - just
a few drops mixed in a large jar of water.
And since I don't get the flu all that often, I might take it at most once or twice a year.

Moreover, I figure that I would be taking a lot more toxic chemicals - larger amounts and higher toxicity - if I go for a flu shot. So even drinking a bit of diluated, pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide is, in my opnion, a good alternative to the flu shot, which is ineffective and puts you at risks of dangerous side effects.

Just a few precautions to note about drinking hydrogen peroxide:

1. Do not drink hydrogen peroxide just before bedtime,
    as the production of oxygen might keep you alert and prevent you from sleeping. And when you have the flu, sleep is the one thing that you need most.
  2. Do not drink hydrogen peroxide if you had an organ transplant.
    It might stimulate your immune response and cause you to reject the transplanted organ.
  3. And make sure it is highly diluted.
    Even with 3% hydrogen peroxide, you should not take more than a few drops in, say, a big jug of water or other liquids.
Nothing is guaranteed, of course. If you have a bad flu, hydrogen peroxide therapy alone is not likely to be enough.

But for flu prevention and for flu treatment in the early stages,
hydrogen peroxide therapy, combined with other natural ways of preventing the flu
will give you very good chances of success.

[

May I ask the source? was this some kind of medical newsletter or a newspaper article that was forwarded?

One of my sisters had sent me the info listed here as well. It gave credit to a Dr. Vinay Goyal.

Here are a couple of links that refer to him, and I've imbedded a link in his name for his direct website, which also lists his email address.

http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2009/09/28/...h1n1-swine-flu/

http://www.molokaiadvertiser-news.com/MAN_9-2-09_.pdf

For those of you worried about using a Neti pot, check out the NeilMed squeeze bottle. I got mine at Walgreen's for about $13 with 50 packets of the saline mix. You don't have to put your head into weird angles to use it the way you do with the Neti pot. I love mine.

I got the squeeze kind, too. Then I bought popcorn salt to use as the saline solution by mixing my own. Popcorn salt is so fine and mixes easily. Can't remember the amount of salt, but I emptied one of the packets and measured it. Worked like a charm.

[
May I ask the source? was this some kind of medical newsletter or a newspaper article that was forwarded?

One of my sisters had sent me the info listed here as well. It gave credit to a Dr. Vinay Goyal.

Here are a couple of links that refer to him, and I've imbedded a link in his name for his direct website, which also lists his email address.

http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2009/09/28/...h1n1-swine-flu/

http://www.molokaiadvertiser-news.com/MAN_9-2-09_.pdf

thanks! I figured I'd ask in case I pass on the info or repost it elsewhere. :)

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions from this post. I didn't know who it originally came from, but trusted the person that sent it to me. So I've started gargling. Don't have the nose thing yet. But I will try this week. Flu is really gettiing bad here.

I received another email about the benefits of vitamin D3.

http://www.naturalnews.com/027231_Vitamin_...m_vaccines.html

My Dh's Dr. is having another meeting tonight to discuss more natural flu prevention. His wife emailed and said they had discussed this with several other Drs. and the other Drs. had been very successfully treating their patients with another alternative method that appears to be working very well. She and her husband were going to research it futher and 'share' with us tonight.

Thanks for the great links DonsCountryGal.

Blessings,

BB

Archived