MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Swine Flu now a National Emergency!!!!!!!!!!

Louis1

Official!!

Swine Flu is national Emergency!!

Get to your secure bunker in an undisclosed location ASAP!!!!

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has declared the swine flu outbreak a national emergency.

The White House on Saturday said Obama signed a proclamation that would allow medical officials to bypass certain federal requirements. Officials described the move as similar to a declaration ahead of a hurricane making landfall.

Swine flu is more widespread now than it's ever been and has resulted in more than 1,000 U.S. deaths so far.

Health authorities say almost 100 children have died from the flu, known as H1N1, and 46 states now have widespread flu activity.

The White House said Obama signed the declaration on Friday evening.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091024/ap_on_...ama_swine_flu_1

:o I was pretty sure this already happened back in April (thought was losing mind for moment). Turns out haven't yet. Yeah! lol. What we need to do is figure out what all this means. Exactly what waivers and additional powers does this grant and to whom? Found text of declaration below but practically useless for knowing what we need to know. Apparently does some stuff with medicare/medicaid waivers but who knows what all the National Emergencies Act includes.

Get to your secure bunker in an undisclosed location ASAP!!!!

LOL Louis!!! :ph34r: I hear ya. Granny checking distance with weather forcast (creeks rise around here) various traffic routes and current road construction delays. Need to know if have time to stop off, as planned, to view civil war re-enactment going on this afternoon.

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release October 24, 2009

DECLARATION OF A NATIONAL EMERGENCY WITH RESPECT TO THE 2009

H1N1 INFLUENZA PANDEMIC

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

On April 26, 2009, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (the "Secretary") first declared a public health emergency under section 319 of the Public Health Service Act,42 U.S.C. 247d, in response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus.

The Secretary has renewed that declaration twice, on July 24,2009, and October 1, 2009. In addition, by rapidly identifying the virus, implementing public health measures, providing guidance for health professionals and the general public, and developing an effective vaccine, we have taken proactive steps to reduce the impact of the pandemic and protect the health of our citizens. As a Nation, we have prepared at all levels of government, and as individuals and communities, taking unprecedented steps to counter the emerging pandemic.

Nevertheless, the 2009 H1N1 pandemic continues to evolve. The rates of illness continue to rise rapidly within many communities across the Nation, and the potential exists for the pandemic to overburden health care resources in some localities.

Thus, in recognition of the continuing progression of the pandemic, and in further preparation as a Nation, we are taking additional steps to facilitate our response.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including sections 201 and 301 of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) and consistent with section 1135 of the Social Security Act (SSA), as amended (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5), do hereby find and proclaim that, given that the rapid increase in illness across the Nation may overburden health care resources and that the temporary waiver of certain standard Federal requirements may be warranted in order to enable U.S. health care facilities to implement emergency operations plans, the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic in the United States constitutes a national emergency. Accordingly, I hereby declare that the Secretary may exercise the authority under section 1135 of the SSA to temporarily waive or modify certain requirements of the Medicare, Medicaid, and State Children's Health Insurance programs and of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule throughout the duration of the public health emergency declared in response to the more 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. In exercising this authority, the Secretary shall provide certification and advance written notice to the Congress as required by section 1135(d) of the SSA (42 U.S.C. 1320b-5(d)).

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-third day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

# # #

Yup... well it leads to all those fancy new laws and exec orders being used now if things start to get really hairy with this flu....... so if you are feeling like heading for the hills..... could be a natural instinct to a manmade sit-ee- A- shun....

that statement was so grand in its language, wasn't it?

Ive gotten so confused as to how dem folks are using such language for their own purposes this just seems like more double speak, but this could pack a punch in the Control realms ....... but I hope not.

People around here in my region are voluntarily staying home if they even have a sniffle. we are really trying to limit exposure to others of any of the bugs and colds and such that are going around along with the swine flu which you know they are not testing for very much anyhow... for the most part, I think the extra caution shows they care about the community and their own families. Lot of kids out of school and no telling now how many actually have swine flu compared to other similar illness ( respiratory illnesses). But I think that speaks of self responsibility. But the Big One has spoken now..... and we all will see how this pans out, but it does open up the logic that exec orders and DHS, etc extreme orders / laws could be used.....

and even with the joking around..... there will be hospitals and such that are going to be overwhelmed. Good time to stay away from the cities if you can, is how I look at it, although even I have to go to them on occassion.

one of my marines ( anysoldier.com) wrote to me and told me how many times they got screened for fever and flu symptoms just going overseas on their initial flights there to the Middle Eastern duties they are at now. My DIL's ship was quarantined on a pier in Dubai, no liberty for anyone.... they are taking this seriously ... so this is an effort by Pres Obama to do the same I think. Maybe thats actually sensible... because this level of governing may be necessary in some instances although I doubt it will be in alot of regions. It frees up the resources and manpower instantly on a needed basis to assist any area...... and I just hope its done in a reasonable fashion but you know they are keyed up about everything else.......

I just hope it isn't misused but I wont panic over it...... lol. typical, going with the patterns of how things work.... thats all this is.

We have to go to Wally world tomorrow to pick up a prescription. Then we won't have to go back for three more months. Oy. We haven't been since August, trying to avoid crowded places.

Of course we will have the hand sanitizer at the ready and steer clear of anyone obviously ill.

Wonder if this declaration will open the door for "other" things and if so....what? Been reading some things on another site and I tell ya it doesn't sound to good. We aren't hearing much more about it here in my area of MS...never heard why that child dropped dead with flu symptoms a while back either.

oh fer cryin' out loud.

here- I don't know anything about this site, but from the stuff advertized in the side bars it doesn't look like they worship our President or his image.

this article spells out what 'powers have been seized by this nefarious weekend signing' pretty clearly.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=113964

The CDC in Atlanta has reported that H1N1 affected far fewer than expected (it was something of a dud), has peaked, and reported cases have declined. In addition, many cases reported as H1N1 were not that strain at all.

So now the administration issues 'national emergency' directives? Hmmm. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (ie if this flu retreats then reappears more virulently, which is what was said of the 1918 edition) but will prepare for possible abuses of power.

oh fer cryin' out loud.

here- I don't know anything about this site, but from the stuff advertized in the side bars it doesn't look like they worship our President or his image.

this article spells out what 'powers have been seized by this nefarious weekend signing' pretty clearly.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=113964

Thanks for posting this. It really explains it well.

Anytime, it is a "national emergency", they play around the rules "for our own good". I wonder which rules they will play around with this time. AND, remember they are trying to pass health care "reform". There has been some H1N1 around here or at least they say it is H1N1 (no tests were given because they are too expensive) but very few serious illnesses. Nothing compared to what they state are the usual stats from the seasonal flu.

The vaccine is not available yet to any but a very few so maybe that is the next step. People don't want the vaccinations. Now we have a "national emergency" so push for mandatory vaccinations, maybe?

remember they are trying to pass health care "reform".

not 'they'.

me.

*I* want health care reform.

I just finished researching an article on longevity and found that the top ten countries in the world according to life expectancy ALL have universal government funded health care- and they all rate in the top 30 worldwide for quality of care- so those long wait times for urgent care must be alot shorter than we've been told. (edited to add the US rankings- 35th for life expectancy and 37th in health care)

I wasn't even looking for that- I was looking for a rural slant, or an educational slant, or a diet slant or a climate slant but the ONLY thing they had in common was the societal belief that health care is a right, not a privilege.

we're the only 'civilized' country on the planet that believes if you don't have access to health care

a) you made bad life choices

b ) you don't deserve it

c) it's unfortunate, but hey, we can't take care of EVERYONE- I'll take care of MINE, please stop whining and move your dying loved ones out of the way of my tv- Dancing With the Stars is on.

I posted an explanation of the document signed from a clearly NOT pro-Obama website, and ya'll still look for the evil nefarious plan behind it.

whatever.

should we keep a close eye on our elected officials and the people who finance them?

of course.

MAINLY on those who finance them, which is, overwhelmingly and spanning party politics- the insurance companies and drug companies- who, by the way, have already got a stranglehold on our, on YOUR right to 'choose' your care and which drugs/treatments you may receive.

There's a line in a rap song (hahaha- ya- I'm such a Rapster :rolleyes: )that rings true

"Keep saying we're free- but we're all just loose".

back to the flu- we're not getting the shots, and we're not getting Tamiflu if we get sick.

just like any other flu, the key is staying out of crowded places and that's easy for us- Ward and Trip are retired, Alec homeschools, I go to work when the business is closed to take care of my stuff, we can shop at the mom and pop grocery here in town, and we don't go to church.

schools, big box stores, crowded businesses and church. all those places are germ conventions.

stay away from the germs, and you stay away from the sick.

You miss my point. That is why I put quotes around" reform". IMHO, the current plans being presented are more for control that assistance.

My point is: They (the government or medical community) are not testing for H1N1 so how do they(government) know it is the problem. I just think it is convenient since the government is trying to pass health care "reform" and we have an epidemic that warrants a declaration of a national emergency. But they(giovernment or medical community) are not testing so they don't know for sure and from all information I have read, the results have been much less dangerous that the seasonal flu but we don't have national emergencies declared each fall for that.

Swine flu is real ! I don't care how the virus got here, it is still real. Makes you have a different perspective when it is your child that has it.

My daughter is on the phone. She has swine flu ! She is coughing up lots of blood ! So bad it is making her vomit.

They took her to the emergency room. All they can do is give her an inhaler. She has severe bronchitis, possibly pneumonia. No antibiotics since it is viral. There is no tamiflu available.

No swine flu vaccines anyplace here. This is frightening.

At the ER people had masks on. Except the crazy admitting dept. would handle her ins. card, the pen, etc. without even wearing gloves or using Purell. She was shocked at the lack of safety precautions. Mardy even had to say something to them about it ! She said they were not even disinfecting the blood pressure thing on your finger. Nothing !

I cannot even go up there. I cannot risk getting it.

I mailed her some cold/flu meds earlier in the week. Good thing I did. They told her to use what I had sent.

She has no money, no insurance, nothing. I have no idea how they will pay for this....

(((Violet)))

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Of course Swine Flu is real. I think the disagreement is about the Powers That Be distorting information about it to their own advantage.

I hope your daughter is better soon and will be praying to that end. :pray:

Thank you, Stephanie.

They may be using this to control us, I don't know. I feel we have to keep praying and asking God for wisdom in all areas of our lives.

I am trying not to despair with her being so ill. I would emotionally feel better if I could go up there, but I dare not. No need for me to get it ,too. Especially being diabetic.

So hard when your heart breaks when it is your child and you feel helpless.

I keep talking to God.

Violet, I'm sorry about your daughter- it's no fun feeling helpless when your loved one is hurting.

One of our homeschoolers tested positive for swine flu about a week after Alec went over there for the afternoon, and then Alec got sick. Don't know what variety it was- didn't take him in. supportive care and frequent checking of his temperature and condition got him through it in just a few days.

The main reason they aren't widespread testing is because the test takes a long enough time to 'grow' the virus that by the time the results are in, the patient is really sick.

and to test, people have to go to the doctors' office, where they'll be cross-infecting everyone else. that's why the directive to STAY HOME unless you're really ill.

It's still a strain of flu, so it's treated the same way as other flus- treat the symptoms and support the patient. Swine flu or 'regular' flu, this is a bad season, so they're acting accordingly.

we're headed back to Houston in a little over a week, and we've had to make alternate arrangements for Alec- there are no children under the age of 12 allowed in hospital at all. well or not. and they're screening people at the doors- if *I* show symptoms, I'll be turned away. if Ward shows symptoms, he'll be masked, gloved, and booted out the door as soon as his appointments are over.

this is our 3rd flu season down there, and the first time things are this tight.

I guess my point is that there are enough real scary things fully in front of us all the time to worry about without trying to find something that may or may not be there.

As Alexis stated, the 1908 flu boomeranged back with a vengeance.

If the president HADN'T issued the state of emergency and we were suddenly faced with that, the outcry would be "Why didn't he do something? The government wants us all to die!"

and FYI, in my search for the explanation of the proclamation this morning, I learned that the flu vaccine AND the peripherals- syringes and needles, are bought and paid for by the government- in bulk and to keep the cost to citizens down- whatever anyone pays is an 'administration fee' for whoever sticks 'em.

so anyone getting a flu shot- there's a little government medicine for ya.

I truly appreciate the concerns shown here . I try to not worry, but you understand how it affects a mom's heart.

I told her to take the humidifier and place near her bed, too. The moisture should make her feel some better.

Her husband was home tonight to help bathe my grandson for school. At least she was not home alone when she started vomiting up the blood. Her FIL came over and stayed there at the house until they got back from ER at 3 am.

Archived