MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Momo

It seems to be harder to get by

The economy is not getting much better, and even if it does it won't help us much. DH is retired on social security and the small increases don't even begin to cover just the increase in medical costs alone.

I have been steadily cutting our budget but it is getting to the point that there is hardly anything left to cut. Is anyone else getting to the bone in their budgets?

I've just about run out of things to cut, too. The internet isn't an option because I do make a little bit of money using it, plus, it helps me keep my sanity. ;)

I am so thankful I learned how to coupon and stock up!

I am with you there. We just got word that my car will need $2500 in repairs. It is still cheaper than a new one, though. So....tightening the belt tighter around here...and not happy about it as it is our 21st anniversary tomorrow and that means...canceling the dinner out.....which I So looked forward to, because we hardly ever go out.

So..focusing on the good things...priceless..LOL

Judy,

Congratulations on your anniversary !

We did not go out for ours this week, either. I made something nice at home and felt blessed to have spent 36 years with my Sweetie. That and truly grateful for plenty of food to put on the table.

I am getting new brakes on my old car. I agree, cheaper than a new one.

Internet will be one of my last "luxuries" to go. That's one of the few good things about dial up..it's under 10$ a month.

I wish TV cable would let you pick what you want. We have to have cable if we want any tv, since we are far from town and in a mountainous area. I would have cancelled it already, but DH loves History channel and that is one of his few treats. I wouldn't miss tv since I prefer to read anyway!

My water company was just bought out and the new company announced that it will be raising rates. I believe they said it will go up 63%!

I just spent $100 to find out that my furnace is about to die. Can't afford to replace the parts that are having problems and don't know how long they will hold on.

It seems that every time I find another way to cut back on expenses another thing goes up in price or something breaks. We are going to only heat the house to 55 degrees this winter to compensate. We have no cell phones, cable, or newspaper. The only luxury I have left to give up is my tea. I hope it doesn't come to that!!

Of course, I need to remind myself that a lot of things I consider necessities are really luxuries. I am still a very spoiled American.

Congrats on the anniversary Judy! :hug3: I hope you two have many more good years together!

As for things getting tighter...with both of us on disability, yes much tighter. I think we have cut just about all we can cut except for the internet. And that doesn't cost much since our phone company does it in a bundle with the house phone, long distance, basic cable (we get NO tv without it, even with an antenna), and internet. We had DISH but switched to cable and that gave us almost 75.00 a month savings. But with the price of food and gas going up, it's ate that up already. And we buy no junk food, just the basic flour, salt sugar, etc...heck we even got chickens now so we dont have to buy eggs LOL.

But if it gets any tighter, I don't know what we will do.

Q

Congratulations on your anniversaries, Judy & Violet! Awesome!

Making ends meet is quite the task, re-evaluating what we feel is important with what is necessary, is becoming a daily norm. Buying the basics and making things from scratch.

Happy Anniversaries to Judy and DH & Violet and DH.

We are working on making a budget work. It's our property tax that is painful. Keeps going up and up. This year our home and property values went down and the tax still went up. Figure that! We have a bundle of cable (no tv reception here either without it or dish), internet and phone. I could do without tv but DH enjoys it and thinks we could get rid of internet first (snort!).

I'm getting back to more basic shopping and cooking. Thinking twice or three times before spending anything.

Thank you so much for the happy anniversary wishes !

He and I are high school sweethearts. We met at age 14, married at 18 and now married for 36 years. He is still the love of my life !

We're pretty much there, too. The only thing I could possibly do now is to go back to conventional/processed foods, and I'm not willing to do that after seeing what it does to a couple of my kids :(

He and I are high school sweethearts. We met at age 14, married at 18 and now married for 36 years. He is still the love of my life !

That is just awesome! Congrats! :wub:

That is so great! I wish you both the best and many happy years together yet to come. :D

Q

Congrats Judy and Violet. DH and I have only been married for four years and I think we have only gone out to dinner maybe once if even that for it. Much cheaper to stay home and cook a good meal. :) I have been writing down everything we spend the last couple of months to see where we can cut back. WOW! We spend way too much on food at the grocery store. So this week we have decided to just live off what we had just to experiment. We have been eating really good still and are not deprived by any means. We just need to be more savvy when it comes to shopping. I do look at sales and stock up, but we buy way too much and waste alot. I think we might cancel cable the only thing is Dh really likes Fox news now that we have it. Other than that we have some in savings, not nearly as much as we should have. We struggle just because we are expecting in March and want to be debt free besides mortgage and student loans in a couple of years. That will make things much easier. We didn't get a cost of living raise at work last year nor are we getting one this year. DH thinks that they are going to cut our pay some come the year after. I sure hope not that would make things really hard. I guess the only thing is to keep up with buckling down and get as much paid off as we can. I am hoping to do some major stockpiling come this spring. Crossing my fingers that it works out.