MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

special dogs

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. We have a 3 1/2 year old Red Heeler/Sheltie mix that is deaf, that we adopted almost three years ago. Missy had been seriously abused, and it took about 18 months for her to feel secure, and to allow petting without fear.

We adopted Missy as a watchdog without knowing that she was deaf, and I was totally bonded to her within hours. She had been returned to the Humane Society 3 times, and had we returned her, her chances of survival were slim. We took her to a behaviourist, and learned her perception of life, and we loved our little red headed girl.

However, I travel without my husband frequently, and my husband is legally deaf without his hearing aide, and I really wanted a watchdog who would alert him to ANYTHING out of the ordinary.

We adopted a 16 mo old German Shepherd last March, and he has far exceeded our expectations. He is a sweet, friendly, though a large, respect commanding dog. He was supposed to a seeing eye dog, but his hips were not quite good enough for the school. He used to bark at Missy, but of course, she couldn't hear what he was saying. Somewhere along the line, Thor figured out that Missy is deaf, and would sometimes bring her to the house when it was time to come in. Since then, we have taught Thor to "find Missy" upon command, and he will find her, wherever she is, and bring her to the door. He has become a hearing dog for another dog instead of a seeing eye dog!

I was never fortunate enough to have children, but I've sure had some special animals. When Thor settles down a bit, I want to use him as a therapy dog for the local nursing home. I just wanted to share a true tale about these special animals in my care.

Oh my Gosh Mare,

I just LOVE hearing about your wonderful doggies!! That is just amazing how Thor takes care of Missy like that!! Your soooo right about them being special!

I'm so happy you found each other!

What blessings animals can be for those of us without kids.....they are our fur kids!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

(((((Mare)))))

You have such a warm and compassionate heart!! Thor and Missy sure are fortunate to have you for a mom smile.gif I'm so blessed to hear about your babies. Thank you for sharing!!

------------------

eaglew.jpg

Sounds like you have a matching pair.

Animals are such a blessing to us. We have over the years "adopted" several throw aways that people just bring out here and drop off. They are frightened and half starved, we found some of them a home and a couple we just kept. I will never understand people just dropping animals off or abusing them.

------------------

p><p> <!--url{0}-->  alt=

Guest Guest

Oh, how nice! I was hoping Thor fit in well after his *adoption*! And now to hear he's not just fitting in, but so helpful and sweet! smile.gif

Yes, if he's been raised as a potential seeing-eye dog, then Thor would most likely be very good in a nursing home.

You are a blessing, Mare, to your DH, to your "fur-kids", and to those around you!

{{{{{{{{{{{{Mare}}}}}}}}}}}}}

------------------

cat.jpg

What a good story. I agree with Lois about people off-loading animals when they get fed up with them. Animals are a great responsibility. When we go away (infrequently for lots of reasons!) one condition of those having a free holiday in our house is that the animals stay in their home too. We put Dixie in kennels twice a long time ago and wouldn't do it again. He was thoroughly miserable. Now he is getting older and has quite bad problems with this back legs ( the vet says it happens with older dogs of a breed with long backs; he is a crooss labrador/basset hound) we couldn't entertain the thought. We have acquired our rabbit, budgie, and several of our hens and ducks from people who thought it would be nice to have them, then get fed up with the commitment and time required, so look for womeone else to take them on. Usually me! I don't mind, though; everyone gets a good long life here!

Guest Guest

Wow mare...you have such an ability to see past the *surface* to the potential that lies underneath.

It's really inspiring...

((((((mare)))))

------------------

d5.jpg

Guest Guest

That's a wonderful relationship your dogs have Mare. I am sure Thor will be fantastic as a therapy dog! You have a very giving spirit and I am sure your fur kids sense how special you are smile.gif

------------------

becca.jpg

• 10 years later...

"wonder dogs"....love 'em! We rescued our dear Abby from a home shelter because we wanted a medium sized dog that could travel with us in our travel trailer & be an alert agent. She rides in the canoe with us, loves to swim (as you can see in this pic, with her wet muzzle), has gone to tractor pulls, rifle range, you name it. Nothing intimidates her for very long. Her momma was dumped there with a tummy full of puppies. She's 1/2 lab and 1/2 aussie...we're told. We were also told she was 8 wks old, and then upon review they called and said "ooops"...she's only 6 wks old. We had a time since she had absolutely NO inhibition bite training and no socialization. We took her to puppy classes and they told us she was of two of the best breeds...but mixed, she was a "puppy on crack". She's now 9 months old and weighs a hefty 60+ lbs...NOT a medium sized dog! But...like you my online friend, she's a part of this empty nester family...that's gone to the dogs! Congrates to you for being a loving "pack leader"...LOL

My yorkie is "special needs" also, so I completely understand!!! When he was a baby he had parvo, then as soon as he was over that he started throwing up, he could keep nothing down. He went from 14 pounds to three pounds while the vet was trying to figure out what was wrong. We started having to put a tube down his throat to feed him. They finally decided his throat had closed off (strictures). So he had a feeding tube placed up of his side. Like in an infant. I had to feed him every four hours through that tube. After a year, his throat was not so tender so we had the tube removed and he eats only liquids. I make his food each morning and he drinks it through out the day. He is five years old now, and willhave to do this for life, but he is fat and sassy so I don't mind.

Our husky was recently diagnosed with skin cancer on the bottom of his foot so they had to remove his leg. He has healed nicely and is doing fine. The cancer was in the lymph nodes, but he has made it nine months so far.

We had him at a fair the other day and I took some great pixof a little girl cuddling him she had cancer and had lost her hair. Talked to her about him having cancer too. It was a very special moment that I will never forget!!!

As you can see, I totally believe in taking care of animals no matter what. I think I learned that when my dog went blind that I had as a child. She lived bling for six years just fine!!!

Edited by Deerslayer

Abby is so cute with her little white lower lip. Bet she can get her pout on with it! I was going to ask you what her name is.

Dearslayer, I love you for how you treat your animals. They are so lucky they found their forever home with you. I'll bet you feel the same way too.

I know Gofish has a dog story in another forum but I can't open it. I'm too soft hearted especially when it comes to dogs. I can't watch or read stories about hurt animals even if I know the outcome is a good one. I still haven't seen Bambi or Marley and Me. I turn the channel if the news is going to report an abused animal situation. I think I need to toughen up but those eyes and furry face and velvety ears....sigh.

And Sarah McLachlan's animal shelter commercial...I've never made it past the first few chords. :sad-smiley-012:

Abby is so cute with her little white lower lip. Bet she can get her pout on with it! I was going to ask you what her name is.

Dearslayer, I love you for how you treat your animals. They are so lucky they found their forever home with you. I'll bet you feel the same way too.

I know Gofish has a dog story in another forum but I can't open it. I'm too soft hearted especially when it comes to dogs. I can't watch or read stories about hurt animals even if I know the outcome is a good one. I still haven't seen Bambi or Marley and Me. I turn the channel if the news is going to report an abused animal situation. I think I need to toughen up but those eyes and furry face and velvety ears....sigh.

And Sarah McLachlan's animal shelter commercial...I've never made it past the first few chords. :sad-smiley-012:

Yeah, she can get her "pout on" for sure! She also has 4 paws and a chest that has white on them. While camping recently while hubby was taking her for her walk, a man (who had ingested several beers?) told hubby "you better keep that dog...she's got 4 white paws and that means she's smart" LOL She's a handful with her temperament so we keep her pretty well occupied with sports and games etc. She just recently had a "sicky" bout that nearly sent us bzrk but about $300 later she's fine. Yeah, we pamper the snot out of her! Hugs to all you pet lovers:grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering...today, when we had the news on about our embassy etc., I don't know if Abby sensed something or what, but she literally "wallered" us to the limit of our patience! When hubby left to do some work for a client, she stayed laid right on top of my feet and even tried to crawl up in my lap (she's 60+ pounds!). Told hubby..."she seems to sense some sort of unrest. Do you suppose she senses it over the tv?" Have any of you ever encountered such a behavior? She's 9 months old now, so we're still learning her temperament.

Nope not over the TV, but perhaps from your concerns, sutle changes in your body chemistry, tone of voice etc. Wonderful dog.

Our new little rescue guy has gone from wailing, when we leave the house, to poppin up in the window to watch when we come and go. He makes us laugh every day.

Edited by lovinit

Nope not over the TV, but perhaps from your concerns, sutle changes in your body chemistry, tone of voice etc. Wonderful dog.

Our new little rescue guy has gone from wailing, when we leave the house, to poppin up in the window to watch when we come and go. He makes us laugh every day.

What kinda pup ya got?

We really didn't have much trouble w/Abby. She was 6 wks old (9 lbs.) when we adopted her from a home rescue farm, wrapped her in a towel and carted her a few miles in my arms until we found a tractor supply store. Went in (hubby carried her) and bought a pet taxi and put it in back of van. She rode the rest of the way home in that. Then that night we took the top off, put her towel in it, and set in on the floor on my side of the bed. Then set the alarm for every hour on the hour and packed her tiny butt outside to do her biz. Has no problems with separation anxiety to we are grateful, since for the most part she's with us 24/7 (we're empty nesters and pretty much retired). She's been in a canoe with us, on the fireing range with us, tractor pulls, camps with us in our travel trailer...you name it. You're very blessed to have a little guy that just watches you from the window. Abby would be in ALL kinds of trouble if we left her alone in the house. She's truly a "Lab Brat" in the strictest sense! She can skin the label off a water bottle with her front teeth faster than you can wink! They told us in her puppy class...being labrador retriever is a wonderful breed...being australian shepherd is a wonderful breed. Mix them together and we had a puppy on crack! They told us "she needed you two". Just rattling on and on, but you know how us "doggy people" can be!

Bear is a cocker spaniel cross, (with what we don't know) We were told he is five years old, however everyone thinks he is a puppy waiting to grow into his huge feet. I think he carries some kind of hound because he has a big deep bark, and is a howling sensation. He was pretty vocal but is getting much better. It is a good thing we live on a farm. We have two little poodles in the house with him. They are usually only alone on really hot days when they can't come in the vehicle, and on some school days for about two hours, morning and mid afternoon, while I'm driving bus.

They all have seat belts, and don't like to miss out on "coming with". We laugh because they know which vehicle we tell them we're taking. That's when it can get pretty noisy...........

My brag book has doggie pictures in it.

Edited by lovinit