MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 8:37

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

By the time I write this prayer right now, I've already been talking to You for hours...

If I try to illustrate nondescriptly what's been laying on my heart this morning, it probably would look something like this:

As I traveled down the road that You placed me on, over the last few days I felt like I was coming to the end of the road. Not so much the end of the actual road, but the end of the road within myself to keep trudging along. It hasn't always been easy, this road I've been on. It's a very hilly road...the uphill climbs can be exhausting, and the downhill runs sometimes go too fast.

So, a few days ago, as I once again was forced to address and deal with some heart wrenchingly difficult things, I just grew tired. I found myself in a "I don't wanna go no more...I can't go no more" frame of mind, and I meant that from the bottom of my heart. That's when I found myself still somehow moving forward in this journey, but not by my strength. It was Your strength as You carried me a few feet and pointed in a direction and willed me to look towards something You have waiting for me to do.

This "something" is far enough away that I can't quite see it clearly but I can guess at its general shape and illusive meaning. This "something" though, energizes me, fills me with hope and wonder, and causes me to question, "are You sure You want me for that?".

Thoughts like, "oh here we go again...I can't believe that You're going to have me do something that seems impossible to me (like when I moved from the city to the country). I can't believe that You already know and are banking on the fact that sometimes I really do enjoy jumping off those God ordained 'cliffs', just because that's how You made me.

And then there are the times when I DO NOT want to jump because it is very scary...the inability to 'see' when it is dark...to trust when all I sense is 'danger'...to believe even though my mind has exhausted itself in trying to find a solution and come up empty handed. These jumps are harder, they cost me more (many times they totally exhaust and deplete me). I'm just coming out of one of these scary jumps. Yes, I arrived safely, yes You were faithful in ways I would have never dreamed, but oh geez, I'm a little weary of these kinds of jumps lol.

For the record, I'd like to publicaly admit that my jumps, regardless of whether they're fun or scary jumps, are not always very graceful.

Regardless, all I can say Father, is that the following hymn begins to play in my mind:

I love You Father.

In Jesus Name I pray,

37. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us!

Watchman Nee comments on the word "more" and writes, "Because of God's unchanging love for us and the fact that Christ has accomplished everything on our behalf, neither tribulation nor persecution can suppress or defeat us; rather, in all these things we more than overcome and conquer through Him who loved us."

The rvbv writes: "What a wonderful book this Word of God is! "Sheep for slaughter" naming themselves more than conquerors! (It is evident that those whose description is "killed all the day long," "sheep for slaughter," will never become more than conquerors, or conquerors at all, through "moral influence," human "merits," "the ballot box," "the betterment of humanity," "inter racial understanding"! No, not with Satan prince and god, here! And he will be such until cast into the abyss (Rev. 20) at Christ's coming.)

Now note three things in this verse: 1. We are conquerors in all this terrible situation, in all these things. 2. We are more than conquerors. 3. It is altogether through Him that loved us, and not through human energy of any kind, that we are more than conquerors.

Now, what is it to be "more than conquerors?" a. It is to come off conqueror in every difficulty. b. It is to know that Divine, and therefore infinite, power has been engaged for us in the cnoflict. c. It is the absolute confidence that this infinite and therefore limitless Divine help is granted to us against any possible future emergency. d. It is to "divide the spoil" over any foe, after victory! (Isa. 53:12).

Him that loved us - Note first the past tense. That preaching which always emphasizes the present love of God or Christ for the soul, as the great persuading power over the human heart, falls sadly short. When our Lord described God's love for the world, it was, "God so 'loved' that He 'gave' His Son." Again, "Herein is love, that God 'loved' us, and sent His Son." Again, when Paul describes Christ's love for His own it is by pointing to His sacrifice. Here (in Rom. 8:37) the cross is indicated, as in verse 32 of our chapter: "He that spared not His own Son."

Further, when Christ's love for the Church is described, it is again the past tense - "Christ 'loved' the Church and gave Himself up for it" (Eph. 5:25). And, "The Son of God loved me and gave Himself for me" (Gal. 2:20). It is this past tense gospel the devil hates, - for "the Word of the Cross is the power of God." Let a preacher be continually saying, "God loves you, Christ loves you," and he and his congregation will by and by be losing sight both of their sinnerhood and of the substitutionary attonement of the cross, where the love of God and of Christ was once for all and supremely set forth, - and in righteous display!

Now whether God or Christ is indicated in Him that loved us in this verse, what we have said holds true.

Frankly we personally feel that the rendering "the love of God" in verse 35, is correct. And this because it is the love of God that is emphasized throughout this passage, from verse 31 to the end. For note, it is God that is for us, God spared not His Son; God justifieth. And it is Christ Jesus whom he had "not spared," that died, that was raised, who is at the right hand of God, and who intercedes. From such love of God (as good authorities read in verse 35), no difficulties can separate us.

We know, however, that verse 39 definitely declares that it is "the love of God which is in Christ Jesus" from which nothing can separate us.

Therefore, we are also quite strongly drawn to read "the love of Christ" in verse 35, because 1. Christ's work for us has just been described in the immediately preceding verse; and also 2. because of the glorious historical fact that the martyrs were directly conscious, in the midst of the flames and when they were thrown to the beasts, of the presence and love of Christ, their Redeemer, Lord and Head.

But, however we read, both are correct!"

Heavenly Father,

Newell's reference to the 'past tense' really struck home. When he wrote, "Let a preacher be continually saying, "God loves you, Christ loves you," and he and his congregation will by and by be losing sight both of their sinnerhood and of the substitutionary attonement of the cross, where the love of God and of Christ was once for all and supremely set forth, - and in righteous display!" is a very powerful statement, and one I've never thought of, or heard of before.

Bless this day Father God...help me to get some much needed things done around here, and may Your Spirit guide each step I take.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,