MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My first time pressure canning

pscathy

I feel like I just got drug behind a car! I started yesterday making Darlene's chicken soup. I love the pictures and step-by-step directions. I put all the ingredients in the frig and this am skimmed the fat from the broth, heated it up, and read my instruction booklet (from the American 925) and 2 online gov't booklets on pressure canning. I read some of it to DH who started saying this all sounds kinda dangerous...... gulp. I feel like I have a bomb in the kitchen, and I don't know if I did something that will detonate it!

I filled 14 pint jars per Darlene's pics, and put lids and bands on them and put them in the canner. Gulp...PANIC... reviewing Darlene's instructions, realized I forgot to release air bubbles with spatula!!! Well, I decided I HAD to do it over, and so undid all jars, released air bubbles (didn't see any, but who knows?) put on new lids and back in the canner. I have the jars in there, the fire turned up, and am waiting for something scary to happen. I will be SO grateful if this ever feels routine to me. right now I could use a stiff drink (if I drank) or a cigarette (if I smoked!!! ) As it is, I am venting here so maybe I can calm down. I am struck after reading and re-reading all that stuff about botulism, that even if the canner doesn't explode in there, I still don't know if my food will be safe! Hmm. Well, I am doing it BY THE BOOK, so I guess it will be fine. I bought this canner a few months ago, and finally got my nerve up to go ahead. I'm telling you, it sure would be easier with somebody experienced standing beside me! The pictures are a big help, but if anyone is inspired to make a video for us first-timers, it would be a God-send!

I had my husband filling jars with veg and chicken and was fretting that he might be putting in too much or too little. I don't know what is important... Just bit his head off over something he said about the laundry!

I'm now going to wait for steam to come out the vent, let it vent for 10 minutes, then put the 15 lb wt on, and wait for the gauge to say 15 lb PSI, and at that point I will adjust the fire to keep it at that PSI setting. supposedly the weight will do that for me and I won't have to watch it for the entire time. I will set a timer for 70 minutes after the pressure setting is 15. Did I forget anythibg??? I'll go read some more.....

What an experience! Are we having fun yet?? You guys sound so blase when you report the scads of food you canned over a weekend. Someday I will be there, right :>) ?? Cathy

:huh::lol::D:rolleyes:;):hug3:

I was so very nervous about the first time I did it, I wouldn't let my dh leave the kitchen!

The next time you do a canning project, choose something like raw pack chicken breast. So simple it's unbelievable (and yummy too).

Keep on venting! Just like that Pressure pot, it might keep you from exploding.!

Sounds as though it will be fine ! You really did not need to use new lids after removing air bubbles, though. You just needed to wash them off and reheat them. If they have not been sealed you can still use them.

Don't be afraid to eat the soup, now ! Since you processed them properly you have not a thing to fear. It will taste wonderful. Sometimes it seems odd to people to see the food in the jars. Not like the cans from the store. I think homecanned foods are lovely !!

YOU GO GIRL!!! LOVE your spirit of adventure, your courage!!! :bounce:

Let us know how it all turns out!!! :feedme:

HMMM, the god news will be if we don't drop dead from botulism, so I guess you get to wait for that! I'm not stressed and grouchy, naw girlfriend. Hey Ruth, did I thank you lately for getting me interested in this here prepping???????? :http://mrssurvival.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gifo

Sounds as though it will be fine ! You really did not need to use new lids after removing air bubbles, though. You just needed to wash them off and reheat them. If they have not been sealed you can still use them.

Don't be afraid to eat the soup, now ! Since you processed them properly you have not a thing to fear. It will taste wonderful. Sometimes it seems odd to people to see the food in the jars. Not like the cans from the store. I think homecanned foods are lovely !!

Violet, I am still freaking since the directions said the gauge would hiss and sputter and wobble when the pressure was right. It started sputtering, never has wobbled, so I turned it down and set the timer. The dial says around 7 lb, but the booklet said that's not accurate so not to worry. My fire is very low, and it still is hissing. HEllllp. Is that okay?

What brand of canner ? I need more info.

Do you need 15 lb. weight for your elevation ? If you are using a weighted gauge canner then yes, it does jiggle the whole time.

If you have the Presto dial gauge, then the thing that comes with it is not a weight and not meant to regulate pressure. That is only a counterweight, it only holds pressure in. You would regulate the pressue with your stove.

The dial has to be tested before use if you are relying on it. Even a new gauge can be off by as much 4 lb.

You'll always remember your first time.....

pressure canning, that is. :P

Be very, very careful! It's addictive! You'll just want to keep on canning.

Whew, Farmgirl! I am so onto the CAREFUL part, but nowhere near the addictive part yet. Can't wait to laugh about all this :>)

Do you need 15 lb. weight for your elevation ? If you are using a weighted gauge canner then yes, it does jiggle the whole time.

If you have the Presto dial gauge, then the thing that comes with it is not a weight and not meant to regulate pressure. That is only a counterweight, it only holds pressure in. You would regulate the pressue with your stove.

The dial has to be tested before use if you are relying on it. Even a new gauge can be off by as much 4 lb.

I have the American 925. I live in the high desert, about 2500 ft so did the 15lb

I have the American 925. I live in the high desert, about 2500 ft so did the 15lb

My dial never even said 10 lb, much less 15. I am hoping that the "worst that can happen" is I have to re-process. Is that right?

I was so very nervous about the first time I did it, I wouldn't let my dh leave the kitchen!

The next time you do a canning project, choose something like raw pack chicken breast. So simple it's unbelievable (and yummy too).

Keep on venting! Just like that Pressure pot, it might keep you from exploding.!

thanks Stephanie. I'm calming down. I guess I can do it all over again if I am not sure I did it right the first time. Uh, the soup could be overcooked I guess. It's only food, after all. I know me, and I wont eat it if I have any doubts.

thanks Stephanie. I'm calming down. I guess I can do it all over again if I am not sure I did it right the first time. Uh, the soup could be overcooked I guess. It's only food, after all. I know me, and I wont eat it if I have any doubts.

/

My dial never even said 10 lb, much less 15. I am hoping that the "worst that can happen" is I have to re-process. Is that right?

My booklet says: " If your recipe calls for cooking at 15 lb set Pressure Regulator Weight over Vent Pipe at the No. 15 hole. After this is done, listen for the PRWt. to signal when correct pressure has been obtained. This signal will be escaping steam. When the correct pressure has been reached, the PRWt. will juggle and sputter. Possibly a few drops of water will trickle from the PRWt. You now begin counting the processing/cooking time from this moment. Reduce the heat so that the PRWt. will juggle only about one to four times a minute. Do not permit constant juggling, for this will cause excessive loss of moisture. The occasional jiggle and the hissing sound indicate that you are maintaining the correct pressure. If the steam escapes in a steady stream after you've reduced the heat, nudge the control to set pressure regulator weight properly. "

My apologies for duplicate posts. My computer has kicked me off 3 times while I was making a "reply" and somehow it has duplicated.

PS The end of the story. I'm pretty sure that I blew it by not waiting until the steam gauge read 15lbs, even though the directions said the weighted gauge would be what told me when the proper pressure was reached. I turned it off after the timer went off, and will do it all over again later .

Oh my gosh Cathy! I think you just wrote out most of our "first time experiences"!!! And maybe even our second, third and fourth times! :P

It does get better! And you have a valuable resource here. Keep asking for help- and LISTEN to the answers (some people don't!) and you'll be fine.

The personal rewards of canning are great!! Good luck!!

Ok, it sounds as though you did not let it get up high enough to jiggle. The All American do jiggle several times a minute, not the whole time. The gauge is for a visual and they can be tested if you want, but it is not an absoloute necessity.

I use both the dial and the weights on my Presto. I like having both systems !

So, why not just do a trial run without any jars in the canner, just water ? That would help you to see just how it works first.

Yes, you will need to reprocess the soup within 24 hours. Don't panic ! You will figure it out.

I usually do suggest just running it with 2 to 3 inche of water in the bottom just to get the hang of it first.

Thank you, Violet. I went through quite a few changes emotionally, but was determined to succeed, and at 8pm I just turned the canner off. Whew, finally got it to 15PSI, hooray. You are right, I did not let it get to the correct pressure. When I relied on the gauge, I let it keep going, and when it hit 15, the weight jiggled! That was great :>) So I defy any botulism to be living in that soup with all the cooking it's had today :>)

Thank you so much for being here, Violet and all of you lovely folks. Your knowledge and expertise and experience are lifesavers.

PSCATHY,

Wooo hoo !! You showed that canner who is boss ! Your soup will be great.

Glad we are here to help you out.

Just let the canner drop pressure naturally, then when at zero, remove just the weight. Then wait another 10 min. before removing the lid and the jars.

Archived